Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:01:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Off-Blockchain economy any good?  (Read 1150 times)
BTCIndia (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 01:23:01 PM

Miners eliminate centralization.

There are various companies in India and overseas working on to provide simple and safe solution for merchants with off-blockchain transactions. I think, this is done for (1)eliminate transactions cost given to miners and (2) quick transactions facilitation. If I'm not mistaken then, Bitcoin separated from blockchain is just another virtual currency.

If this is true then, off-blockchain transactions will dependent on central authority just like VISA, Paypal, Mastercard etc. How? Lets assume, I manage to create hashcash which does not belong to original bitcoin pool and try to use it on off-blockchain economy. How are they going to verify these off blockchain transactions? I guess, single way to verify is by letting it pass through Bitcoin network. If it comes clean, then only they're valid coin else. Here, they're trying to eliminate 'verifying authority i.e. miners.' Isn't it?

When we'll be having large off-blockchain economy working and managing company would itself be centralized and need security like existing companies(VISA, Paypal etc) thereby escalating cost and risks associated.

Right back to where we started from?

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 03:18:32 PM

There are various companies in India and overseas working on to provide simple and safe solution for merchants with off-blockchain transactions. I think, this is done for (1)eliminate transactions cost given to miners and (2) quick transactions facilitation. If I'm not mistaken then, Bitcoin separated from blockchain is just another virtual currency.

If this is true then, off-blockchain transactions will dependent on central authority just like VISA, Paypal, Mastercard etc. How? Lets assume, I manage to create hashcash which does not belong to original bitcoin pool and try to use it on off-blockchain economy. How are they going to verify these off blockchain transactions? I guess, single way to verify is by letting it pass through Bitcoin network. If it comes clean, then only they're valid coin else. Here, they're trying to eliminate 'verifying authority i.e. miners.' Isn't it?

When we'll be having large off-blockchain economy working and managing company would itself be centralized and need security like existing companies(VISA, Paypal etc) thereby escalating cost and risks associated.

Off-blockchain economy will grow at a time span of around every 10 minutes. But, for that Bitcoin must find mass acceptance at retail level. If u know what I mean Wink

discodancer

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Time is Money - Benjamin Franklin

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 06:36:27 PM

Well this is a difficult question. For this you might need to dig enough to understand why bitcoin succeeded when other digital currencies failed (hint - double spends). The defining feature was "blockchain" (PoW was actually written to stop email spams). So bitcoin separated from "blockchain" is not bitcoin in any form and will be susceptible to "double spends".

Blockchain works because it stores the spend info, what you have described about central authority or verifying via the blockchain is simply "centralised blockchain" or blockhain itself. So not sure what you really mean by "off blockchain" then.

Though that said most of these companies already have a ledger (which blockchian is equal to), so their motivation to actually get on the blockchain gravy train (ie hire programmers etc to re-write their payments software) is next to impossible. Its just a pipe dream for many bitcoin/crypto enthusiasts (source: I work for a large bank writing payments software and most of the business have not heard neither care about bitcoin).
BTCIndia (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:09:59 AM

Off-blockchain economy will grow at a time span of around every 10 minutes. But, for that Bitcoin must find mass acceptance at retail level. If u know what I mean Wink

Seriously, I don't have clue what you mean. Can you please explain in detail? Sorry!

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: