Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:53:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: if deepbit.net gets anymore hashing speed it could compromise the system  (Read 11814 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 11:20:22 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2011, 01:44:57 PM by hazek

EDIT: I'm not trying to imply deepbit.net has any such intentions!

Looking at http://bitcoinwatch.com/ we can clearly see that deebit.net mining pool has acquired the biggest minority share of the total hashing speed of the entire network. It's almost 50%.

So I was wondering if this isn't a dangerous situation since who ever has control of a client with half or more of the total hashing speed could with a good chance start attacking the Bitcoin system with fraudulent double spending?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 11:31:08 AM

Looking at http://bitcoinwatch.com/ we can clearly see that deebit.net mining pool has acquired the biggest minority share of the total hashing speed of the entire network. It's almost 50%.

So I was wondering if this isn't a dangerous situation since who ever has control of a client with half or more of the total hashing speed could with a good chance start attacking the Bitcoin system with fraudulent double spending?
they have no incentive to do so other than screwing with the system, and even if they did they couldn't do much.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 11:32:30 AM

People seem to trust the operator, so the risk seems smaller. There was/is some discussion about this on the official Deepbit thread (the one you arive at when you click the "Forum" link on their site); the operator himself seems to be working on finding a solution for this concern.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 12:03:43 PM

I can see another threat:

Imagine that difficulty went to +150k and suddenly the deepbit pool went down, e.g. due to attack or malfunction. I tried several other pools, but these have problems. Many low-par hashrate users would not dare "to mine on mine" = solo, so the effect may be that there will be drastic delays between each new block found. The transactions would slow down a lot.

Concentration of the power of net into single pool is bad thing, imho.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 12:31:52 PM

If they start attacking the system we will just DDOS them!

One off NP-Hard.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 01:31:31 PM

Btw I wasn't trying to imply anything bad about deepbit.net. I realize it's not in their interest to start performing fraudulent and harmful actions if they want to keep their customers. I just wanted to point out the facts and hear peoples opinions.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 01:47:29 PM

Btw I wasn't trying to imply anything bad about deepbit.net. I realize it's not in their interest to start performing fraudulent and harmful actions if they want to keep their customers. I just wanted to point out the facts and hear peoples opinions.

Probably because of what you say i have transactions sent paying fees with 0 confirmations for 24hrs...

Where are my coins? They disappeared from my wallet and never arrived to where i sent them, so WHERE ARE THEY?
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 02:42:21 PM

Yes, having a single instance with >50% is bad for the network, deepbit just happens to be the first ever to reach that limit. I'd encourage people to start creating new pools. Having slush's pool down (for whatever reason) should provide you with enough users to justify investments Smiley
And hopefully slush's pool comes back up soon Smiley

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 02:46:11 PM

The Difficulty would go down if the hash rate were to drop dramatically like you are suggesting.
Actually no, the difficulty is adjusted each 2016 blocks, so a sudden drop right after an adjustment might take really long to have an effect on the actual difficulty (if we are left with 25% of the hashing power it takes up to 8 months to adjust the difficulty)

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Anonymous

May 08, 2011, 03:25:25 PM

There is an incentive for an entity to ddos every public pool after a sharp decrease like that. They could then more easily mine while taking out all competition.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

I set up a pool miner for the first time this morning on the computer of my wife (a gamer, so she a better card then I have). I also chose deepbit.net, because someone else mentioned it to me before. It would be nice to have a good comparison sheet, comparing all the pools besides each other on various points.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 03:55:52 PM

If you want to compete with deepbit, xf2.org (see signature) offers pool service that scales with traffic.

geebus

Activity: 258

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 03:58:56 PM

I set up a pool miner for the first time this morning on the computer of my wife (a gamer, so she a better card then I have). I also chose deepbit.net, because someone else mentioned it to me before. It would be nice to have a good comparison sheet, comparing all the pools besides each other on various points.

There have been numerous comparisons made, but as the pools, and their features, change constantly, it's difficult for anyone to stay on top of it.

Here are some basic comparisons based on what I know of the pools:

Deepbit.net
3% or 10% fee (pay-per-share vs. proportional)
Fastest Pool
Most users (meaning payments are split more ways)
Long Polling
JSON stats (using API auth token)
Mints it's own transactions into it's own solved blocks
Email notifications (not sure what though)

Slush's Pool (mining.bitcoin.cz)
2% (up to 6% at user discretion) for score-based shares, which favors faster cards that submit shares more frequently.
2nd Fastest Pool
2nd Most users
No long polling
Mints it's own transactions into it's own solved blocks (I believe)
Email notifications on payments

BTCMine.com
0 - 5% fee (don't know if it's forced)
3rd Fastest Pool
Long polling
No clue about transactions
No clue about email notifications

BitcoinPool.com
No fees
4th Fastest Pool
Long Polling
JSON stats
Private Forum
Mints transactions into it's own blocks
Transparent stats for all users
Email notifications for payments, block solves, account changes

Eligius
Fairly new, I don't know too much about it, but you can read about it in their forum post.

...and I'm sure there are others.

Feel like donating to me? BTC Address: 14eUVSgBSzLpHXGAfbN9BojXTWvTb91SHJ
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 04:03:42 PM

On BTCmine...

Voluntary donation once the pool was closed last week.  The voluntary is still in effect
E-mails on payouts, miners down, blocks found, and much more!

xf2_org

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 04:09:20 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2011, 04:35:49 PM by xf2_org

xf2.org pool

- 0.45 BTC/month flat fee, no percentage
- long polling
- web stats
- payouts go to xf2.org account balance
- 24/7 monitoring, in case of server problems

(or you can start your own pool, and set your own rules)

xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 04:14:25 PM

xf2.org pool

- 0.50 BTC/month flat fee, no percentage
- long polling
- web stats

For clarity's sake, is the fee 0.50BTC/month per client, 0.50BTC/month taken off the top of all earnings, or etc?

I don't understand how the "billing" of the fee would work.

Edit: When would the fee be taken as well? First round of every month? If so, I'd just work a different pool for that round.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
xf2_org

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 04:30:37 PM

xf2.org pool

- 0.50 BTC/month flat fee, no percentage
- long polling
- web stats

For clarity's sake, is the fee 0.50BTC/month per client, 0.50BTC/month taken off the top of all earnings, or etc?

I don't understand how the "billing" of the fee would work.

Edit: When would the fee be taken as well? First round of every month? If so, I'd just work a different pool for that round.

The fee is the xf2.org account fee, which must be paid 6 months in advance (3 BTC).  That gives you access to the pool servers for six months.

All earnings are then credited to your xf2.org account, which you may withdraw at any time.

Edit: Fee is 0.45 BTC/month, due to continued exchange rate increases.

[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 04:30:56 PM

Deepbit.net
3% or 10% fee (pay-per-share vs. proportional)
Fastest Pool
Most users (meaning payments are split more ways)
Long Polling
Mints it's own transactions into it's own solved blocks
I have more important features :)

• No need to wait for 120 confirmation blocks, instant payment is possible
  • Paying for invalid blocks too

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
Veldy

Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 04:41:43 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2011, 04:57:03 PM by Veldy

EDIT: I'm not trying to imply deepbit.net has any such intentions!

Tycho told me it could't happen any time soon and that he wouldn't allow it to happen.  Then when faced with the prospect of it happening, he changed his tune.  I like his pool, but refuse to use it until he delivers on his promise.  He has an ethical duty to make sure his pool cannot be a tool to attack the network, and setting up a redundant pool [one in the US and one in Germany I believe] is hardly a defense; especially against a government who can easily hit both [it is not as if Germany and the US hate each other, but they may both hate bitcoin].  

I like what Tycho has done, but I think he is letting greed get the better of him and is willing to blind himself to the possibility of what could happen due to his inaction.

I have been suggesting to people to consider BTCMine as a better alternative to slush and frankly, miners have a duty to take workers away from deepbit.  He said himself that he believes in the market and that individual miners should do it.  Show him that individual miners can [I think most are ostriches with their heads in the sand and won't move though, proving him wrong, which I hope I am wrong about].

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Veldy

Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 04:45:40 PM

I can see another threat:

Imagine that difficulty went to +150k and suddenly the deepbit pool went down, e.g. due to attack or malfunction. I tried several other pools, but these have problems. Many low-par hashrate users would not dare "to mine on mine" = solo, so the effect may be that there will be drastic delays between each new block found. The transactions would slow down a lot.

Concentration of the power of net into single pool is bad thing, imho.

The Difficulty would go down if the hash rate were to drop dramatically like you are suggesting.

The hash rate won't go down when difficulty goes up.  The blocks will get bigger [on average] making it harder to find the solution.

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: