Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:43:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sinking ships  (Read 1535 times)
geffaxiv-532 (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:27:54 AM

Why do governments sink ships instead of melting it back to base metals?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 12:29:50 AM

Think about the first part of your question a little bit more.

"Why do governments"

Let me ask you:

What incentive do governments have?

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
5850Guy

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:36:21 AM

Because it's easier to sink a sheep than bring it on-shore, break it down, and melt it down?

At least for now.  Once metals become scarce (if they do), their value will skyrocket and these things won't happen anymore.

And, congratulations on Post #2
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 06:08:17 AM

You must be talking about that ship near alaska that the US wants to sink. I suppose it would be a lot of work towing it to a place capable of stripping it down.
geffaxiv-532 (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 09:53:24 AM

Think about the first part of your question a little bit more.

"Why do governments"

Let me ask you:

What incentive do governments have?

MY QUESTION IS NOT METAPHORICAL OR RHETORICAL BY NATURE. DO THAT SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Lazer

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 06:59:46 PM

LOOSE LIPS

In the US, it's because of an incredible complete bureaucracy.

You wouldn't believe how a seemingly simple action needs to first go through a number of departments to get approval.
These approvals take time, energy, and dedication in their consistency.

It's much easier for the bureaucrats in charge to do what they've already been doing in the past and not deal with the other bureaucrats in this bureaucratic system.

So they instead take the straightforward, but not optimal, way out and do what's best for them (or their dept) rather then what's best for the country and the people. Just my opinion anyways.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 07:14:36 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2012, 02:06:24 AM by DeathAndTaxes

This has nothing to do with bureaucracies.  Many private entities sink ships also.

OP it is simply expensive to strip, cut, and melt ships.  Far cheaper to just sink it.  They also becomes artificial reefs so that becomes a plus given the rate we are destroying natural reefs.

Kinda the same question of "why do people throw away metal, paper, glass & plastics only to have to mine new resources out of the earth each year"?
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 08:17:48 PM

Moral boost (training lesson) for a bunch of trigger happy guys?

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 01:00:58 AM

Recycling metal is almost as expensive as mining it out of the ground. Add to that the cost of dismantling the ship (which is a huge job, requiring a drydock facility), and it's just not worth it. Metal has to become a lot more valuable in order for recycling a ship to become profitable.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Helpcoin

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 01:05:51 AM

This is an interesting little article on Shipbreakers in India: http://moneylinked.blogspot.com/2011/01/ship-breakers-in-india.html
btcnoodle

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 01:06:45 AM

The Coast Guard said it would be too dangerous to either repair or salvage. There was a party who wanted to go get it but they were refused permission due to the aforementioned reasons.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 01:10:24 AM

It's a good thing that we have a Coast Guard to save people from themselves!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
btcnoodle

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 01:22:11 AM

It's a good thing that we have a Coast Guard to save people from themselves!
Yup, it was so dangerous it took them several attempts and some time to sink it.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 02:01:02 AM

bueracracies
what
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 08:32:31 AM

The US government blows things up because blowing things up is a component of GDP.  A rising GDP gives the government an excuse to claim that the economy is doing well, which gives them an excuse to borrow money to spend on blowing more things up, also known as "providing government services."  This borrowed money is provided by the central bank, known as the Federal Reserve, which prints money out of thin air to lend to the US government to blow things up, at interest.  This interest is also known as the national debt, and will never be repaid anyways so it doesn't matter.  Welcome to America.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
zelmer

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 04:54:17 PM

I can't say that I blame the Coast Guard for sinking that ship, it must be tough to sail around the ocean all day every day with a big ol' cannon and not shoot at anything. Finally something to shoot at! Good hits, Coast Guard, good hits!
Nicotinefreek

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 01:34:13 AM

The US government blows things up because blowing things up is a component of GDP.  A rising GDP gives the government an excuse to claim that the economy is doing well, which gives them an excuse to borrow money to spend on blowing more things up, also known as "providing government services."  This borrowed money is provided by the central bank, known as the Federal Reserve, which prints money out of thin air to lend to the US government to blow things up, at interest.  This interest is also known as the national debt, and will never be repaid anyways so it doesn't matter.  Welcome to America.

Lol love this post. Had to read it twice over Smiley
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 04:05:39 AM

This is an interesting little article on Shipbreakers in India: http://moneylinked.blogspot.com/2011/01/ship-breakers-in-india.html

The title remembered me of this documentary about indian shipbreakers. www.ipexview.com/solution/videos/National_Film_Board_of_Canada/Shipbreakers/64/
FiZiX

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 02:03:18 PM

Because it's easier to sink a sheep than bring it on-shore, break it down, and melt it down?

Poor sheep   Cry
bitsforcoins.com
Donator

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 07:35:24 PM

I wonder if the EPA made them burn all the fuel and such, as they would the rest of us.

Bits For Coins . com - hosting services for the Bitcoin community
Quality Bitcoin Dedicated Servers
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: