Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:51:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is not viable for small transactions, and this needs to change.  (Read 2224 times)
9kv (OP)

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

Learning

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:20:42 AM

For Bitcoin to be accepted as a reliable and convenient currency by the average consumer, it needs to become much more open to smaller transactions (such as paying for groceries, bar bills, or school supplies).

Right now I wouldn't even dream of paying with Bitcoin for anything but large transactions online.

Bitcoin will never grow into a usable currency unless this changes. It will continually be a place for speculators and investors to place money and play with the market.

Thoughts?
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:22:38 AM

What are you talking about? Bitcoin ain't even taxed (in many countries). It's only a small .09 cent fee for anything. I think you would like taxes better at a 4% plus bottle taxes and all that other shit.
9kv (OP)

Learning

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:34:05 AM

There is no simple way to pay with bitcoins for a $4 purchase at a convenience store.
Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:46:50 AM

Bitpay. Easily send the coins within 5 seconds and done.
9kv (OP)

Learning

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:51:14 AM

Take my phone out of my pocket, navigate, log in using secure password, send bitcoin, wait, wait, wait, txn complete, vendor waits, waits, waits, shows up in blockchain, waits, waits, waits, waits, confirmations, leave store 15 minutes later.

Alternatively - use fiat credit card, 30 seconds, out of there.

Confirmations need to be quicker as well. I understand this will come with time if more people start mining, but still - if more miners appear, more users will appear and the load will be the same.
Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:52:19 AM

Take my phone out of my pocket, navigate, log in using secure password, send bitcoin, wait, wait, wait, txn complete, vendor waits, waits, waits, shows up in blockchain, waits, waits, waits, waits, confirmations, leave store 15 minutes later.

Alternatively - use fiat credit card, 30 seconds, out of there.

Confirmations need to be quicker as well. I understand this will come with time if more people start mining, but still - if more miners appear, more users will appear and the load will be the same.

It's 0 confirms actually.
btcguys

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:59:13 AM

If customer and vendor are on same gateway then process could be expedited. For example sake: retrieving btc-e code on btc-e is instantaneous. Right now, it seems like Bitpay is focused on merchants only. May be if they integrate customers then that may expedite transaction process.
9kv (OP)

Learning

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:01:51 AM

You could still walk out of the store after double spending with 0 confirms, and they could not "charge back" or persecute you at all.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:07:39 AM

You could still walk out of the store after double spending with 0 confirms, and they could not "charge back" or persecute you at all.

Who's going to double spend a small transaction?

Oh, look sweetie, I made $3 on a double spend of Bitcoins today. lol

9kv (OP)

Learning

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:15:02 AM

I've shoplifted smaller items in the past than $3...  Roll Eyes
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 03:19:54 AM

My hero.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
9kv (OP)

Learning

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:23:20 AM

My hero.

I'm simply stating - if people CAN double spend, they WILL double spend.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:45:39 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2014, 04:18:15 AM by franky1

9kv

if your admitting your a thief then shouldnt you be loving bitcoin, which in your words means that when you pay and walk out with 0 confirms you have 10 minutes to try scamming the system..??

shouldnt you be loving it?

oh wait your on a rant because you cant mess with the system and your just stating as issues which are not issues because you're mad that you cant game the system, thus you want to hate it.

so how about you go back to credit cards and go chargeback scam them, you crazy thieving idiot.

the other possibility is that your trying to cause negative vibes in the hope people pnic sell for you to buy in cheap.. which i find as investment savvy, but just as immoral

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:13:04 AM

My hero.

People can and do all kinds of illegal things now. Why is bitcoin different in that respect?

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:24:18 AM

My hero.

I bet it would take you more than $3 worth of resources to double spend $3 after 30 seconds.
Bejkn

Activity: 219

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:48:55 AM

Miners fee is least 0.0001btc, < 0.0001 transaction won't be comfirmed
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 05:19:53 AM

For Bitcoin to be accepted as a reliable and convenient currency by the average consumer, it needs to become much more open to smaller transactions (such as paying for groceries, bar bills, or school supplies).
Music tracks. Bitcoin should have become the primary method of payment for music tracks. No need for a central authority like iTunes. Indy bands could sell from their own servers and get paid 100% of the revenue. Load up your music player with a few Bitcoins and start listening.

For music track sales to work, transactions under $1 must be cheap and fast. They have to be protected against double-spending, or people will buy tracks from multiple sources simultaneously using the same Bitcoins.

(Someone is doing this. Unfortunately, most tracks cost 0.01BTC.  One costs $0.999 BTC. The cheapest ones are crap techno. None of the music is above garage-band level. To make this work as a business, you need a better catalog than CoinDL.)
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:24:10 AM

If customer and vendor are on same gateway then process could be expedited. For example sake: retrieving btc-e code on btc-e is instantaneous. Right now, it seems like Bitpay is focused on merchants only. May be if they integrate customers then that may expedite transaction process.
I think the Bitcoin processing companies can make more profit from merchants than from customers. As the customers' base is increasing to as big as enough which will make them pay attention on customers.

wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:28:14 AM

I think the Bitcoin processing companies can make more profit from merchants than from customers. As the customers' base is increasing to as big as enough which will make them pay attention on customers.

You need to remember that any expense that the merchant incurs will ultimately be passed onto the consumer. Even if the company does not directly impose some kind of charge for the added expense they will rise their prices a little bit to cover merchant services fees.

evanito

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

Your average Bitcoin/Ethereum enthusiast

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:29:18 AM

I wish these micro-transactions were more friendly, what happens to the .09 cent fee when bitcoin is worth 1 thousand dollars? 20 cents, and if bitcoin ever hits 1 million? 200 dollar fees. Now, I doubt it will hit the big mil, but IF. If it does, we will be paying 200 dollar transaction fees.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: