Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:09:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOIN Stolen from my computer! HELP PLEASE?  (Read 3335 times)
philmore1 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 11:45:03 AM

Hello, Can someone please help me to find out who can do forensic for the below information
is poining to who has stolen my bitcoins?
My email is PWILTSHIRE.IT@GMAIL.COM  (Phillip.w)
I am very saddened bacause it has taken me 2 years to to collect 6.15 bitcoins.
I have a 60 gig H/Z butterfly miner and had also paid for bitcoin on line.
Just to have someone hack my computer and steal my bitcoins....
My wife it now telling me to quit bitcoin totally! Is that what bitcoin people are all
about greed, stealing? If each coin has its own identifier then why cant it be stopped from someone selling it
or spending it?

Date: 8/24/2014 20:54
To: 1B39dYUZ8MVscdAbR8vBVgnuLuUrxe4osX
 Debit: -6.14976363 BTC
Transaction fee: -0.0013 BTC
 Net amount: -6.15106363 BTC
Transaction ID:

f6c2b635f568c6b94f6579b08ffcae644fedf532882b5e8847070726536f9fd3
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 12:15:14 PM

Can someone please help me to find out who can do forensic for the below information is poining to who has stolen my bitcoins?
[Un]fortunately, it is not possible by design of bitcoin.

My wife it now telling me to quit bitcoin totally!
She is right. You can not keep your funds safe. Store your funds in bank.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 01:22:42 PM

sadly its not possible and while i do feel sorry for you i wont loose any sleep. people who get bitcoins stolen usually dont take many security precautions
no encrypted wallets being the main one
no antivirus being the 2nd
and last but not least stupidity

im not accusing you of any of these but im betting your coins wernt as safe as they could have been. kinda like having a safe you never lock with a few ££££ in it. the front door is a basic firewall very easy to get into the house is your computer and if they know where to look its easy to find your safe (bitcoin wallet) and that safe isnt locked... see my point.

i suggest if you do want to carry on with bitcoin you do some research on security

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 01:28:54 PM

Sorry to hear you lost so many coins, there is nothing you can do from this point.

For next time please install a proper antivirus. Avira free version is perfectly fine.

Best thing you can do is store your coins on a pc or old laptop that you only use to access your btc wallet.

Nowadays hackers, viruses, etc are pointed at finding and stealing your bitcoins.
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:12:46 PM

the only other thing i can suggest is from a bit of looking around the "hacker" isnt a very smart one so start to google who hes sending the coins to and if your lucky you might find hes buying items and with a bit more luck youll get and address from someone

as i said this hacker dosnt seem to be very smart

for example an address he sent bitcoins to on the 25th belongs to this guy
http://www.forumkorner.com/thread-192714.html

contact him see if he has info

another on the 25
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CE0QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hackforums.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ftid%3D4320191%26page%3D7&ei=y5b8U9CkHMfNygOqlYC4BQ&usg=AFQjCNEo0sCwBSwUreonoXee8Eiqf8UXlw&sig2=8USwREfe-xm4djwn9Vqv6A&bvm=bv.73612305,d.bGQ

so from 2 transactions both of which have users on Hackforums.net im going to say hes a user of that site. start poking around

forsakenpnut

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:20:43 PM

Which wallet did you use?

forsakenpnut

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:22:53 PM

the only other thing i can suggest is from a bit of looking around the "hacker" isnt a very smart one so start to google who hes sending the coins to and if your lucky you might find hes buying items and with a bit more luck youll get and address from someone

as i said this hacker dosnt seem to be very smart

for example an address he sent bitcoins to on the 25th belongs to this guy
http://www.forumkorner.com/thread-192714.html

contact him see if he has info

another on the 25
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CE0QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hackforums.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ftid%3D4320191%26page%3D7&ei=y5b8U9CkHMfNygOqlYC4BQ&usg=AFQjCNEo0sCwBSwUreonoXee8Eiqf8UXlw&sig2=8USwREfe-xm4djwn9Vqv6A&bvm=bv.73612305,d.bGQ

so from 2 transactions both of which have users on Hackforums.net im going to say hes a user of that site. start poking around

I have found it to be http://www.forumkorner.com/user-49693.html

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:20:16 PM

Sorry to hear you lost so many coins, there is nothing you can do from this point.

For next time please install a proper antivirus. Avira free version is perfectly fine.

Best thing you can do is store your coins on a pc or old laptop that you only use to access your btc wallet.

Nowadays hackers, viruses, etc are pointed at finding and stealing your bitcoins.

The best thing is cold storage for any large number of coins, or a PC (as 1Referee accurately states) that you only use for bitcoin and it not connected to the internet.

You should not rely on anti-virus programs. Some say some antivirus programs detect 90% or even 95%, but 5% or 10% missed is enough for you to lose your coins.  Likewise, you may have spyware and that is often missed too.  e.g.  See this, where anti-virus software was only detecting about 40% of some malware:
http://www.bankinfosecurity.eu/banking-malware-new-challenger-to-zeus-a-7006/op-1

You will have a hard time getting your coins back.  It isn't that "bitcoin people" are greedy, it is that there are dishonest people out there who will take you whenever and wherever they can if you give them the chance.

squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:00:33 PM

I know it's a little late, I feel your loss, But we need this message out there, Bitcoin is not faulty, Users are!

As soon as something has a value, People will do anything to get it, Even more so if there is no way to find them.

I hate to say it, there is little to nothing anyone can do, Stay in there, follow these rules.

1) Never use an online wallet, This includes exchanges to store coins.
2) All ways password (encrypt) your wallet, Dont use 12345 /facepalm
3) for the love of peanut butter, BACK IT UP in several safe locations (a few usb sticks)
4) dont download ANYTHING unless it has been confirmed here (thieves use programs to gain access to wallets, They will say anything to get you to download and run a file)
5) 2FA whatever you can (gmail 2FA is good to store info)
6) Never write down wallet password on your computer (watch out for for key-loggers a good anti-malware will help you) This includes telling your best friend, You wont know who did it.

Thats the basics  Roll Eyes
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:33:30 PM

I know it's a little late, I feel your loss, But we need this message out there, Bitcoin is not faulty, Users are!

As soon as something has a value, People will do anything to get it, Even more so if there is no way to find them.

I hate to say it, there is little to nothing anyone can do, Stay in there, follow these rules.

1) Never use an online wallet, This includes exchanges to store coins.
2) All ways password (encrypt) your wallet, Dont use 12345 /facepalm
3) for the love of peanut butter, BACK IT UP in several safe locations (a few usb sticks)
4) dont download ANYTHING unless it has been confirmed here (thieves use programs to gain access to wallets, They will say anything to get you to download and run a file)
5) 2FA whatever you can (gmail 2FA is good to store info)
6) Never write down wallet password on your computer (watch out for for key-loggers a good anti-malware will help you) This includes telling your best friend, You wont know who did it.

Thats the basics  Roll Eyes

not seen you post in a while Smiley

anyway to add extra security
use onscreen keyboards. believe it or not these defeat almost all key loggers out there
if you pretty smart and have capable hardware store everything in a virtual machine, this stops almost any quick in and out for a thief as they have to steal the whole virtual machine. hacking from the net is hard as they have to deal with the host machine first. then the easy way is to steal the whole virtual machine which can be as big as you want (my case 1TB with 3 levels of encryption) good luck stealing that with 1MB upload speed XD.

and finally if you think youve covered everything then youve missed something there will always be a week spot no matter what

Artur0

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 03:44:16 AM

Yup...as others have already said...you're pretty much out of luck. The Bitcoin is gone and there really isn't much you can do. If you want, you could probably trace the coins through the blockchain and maybe get enough evidence to pursue legal charges but it's likely you will never get the coins back.

Consider this an expensive lesson and read some guides on properly securing both your computer and Bitcoin. As society advances into the age of cryptocurrency, internet treasure hunting is going to rise alongside it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: