Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:41:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can my TSB bank account be closed for trading bitcoins?  (Read 4436 times)
ibrahim11 (OP)

Activity: 777
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:53:35 PM

Hi, my sisters TSB bank account was suspended for buying 2 btc worth a bit over £600. I asked her to buy it for me and I sent the money from my paypal (using my debit card) to her paypal and she withdrawed it to her bank account. I did this because I don't have online banking and the banks were closed at the time to make a cash deposit into her account. However, when buying 2 btc off a seller on localbitcoins her bank suspended her bank account and asked her to come in to one of the TSB branches with my statement showing them that I sent her a bit over £600 via PayPal. But they didn't accept the statement because it was printed off from a machine in branch and they wanted an official stamped one. So now I have to go to her bank with her and bring my stamped statement from my bank and a photo id (I'm under 18). But the question I want to ask is, will her bank account be closed for buying 2 btc? (the payment for the 2 btc was declined anyway by the bank, probably because she normally doesn't use that account much). Thanks
ibrahim11 (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:22:05 PM

bump
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:29:53 PM

Make an anonymous phone call to the bank and ask them. I know that many banks don't like bitcoin, but thats neither here nor there. I've only heard them close accounts that buy/sell a lot of coin, but thats in the USA, not sure of Europe. but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see what they say.
TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 05:59:54 AM

UK banks are fast becoming a serious menace to btc
They are dinosaurs that are gonna get it between the eyes one way or the other

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:11:31 AM

UK banks are a major pain in the arse, they always were back when i played online poker professionally and made "gambling cash outs" and still to this day can be funny.  The rest of UK is very accepting of bitcoin.
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:41:56 AM

Yes. Your bank account can be closed for any reason, or no reason at all.

Most bank account agreements say that the bank is allowed to close your account if they see fit. To argue that they should not be able to close your account is similar to arguing that the bank should be forced to do business with someone who they don't want to do business with.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:00:13 PM

Probably they will close the account.  UK banks are pathetic like that
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 09:12:13 PM

Probably they will close the account.  UK banks are pathetic like that

When making a 5k cheque deposit recently i got ask "where the money had come from" -  thats just crazy right i could have sold a 2nd hand car or many other things, perhaps completed a job for someone and this was my pay cheque...
cryptofan5

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 06:49:42 AM

Bankers are scarred of the things they don't understand. They can just close an account without any explanation and bitcoin is a good reason as any for them.
oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:02:44 PM

Banks may close down accounts when large transactions take place, they are usually done to be on the safe side however I do feel that in most cases banks are purposely closing accounts that deal with bitcoins because they are running scared. The only way you can find out if the account was suspended because of bitcoin dealings is to make an anonymous phone call and question it.
ibrahim11 (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:29:38 PM

Went to the bank and it took 2 hours but the account was un-suspended!  Grin
dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 01:31:50 AM

Went to the bank and it took 2 hours but the account was un-suspended!  Grin
I am glad to hear this. I am also curious as to what you had to do/say in order to get your account restored.

I suspect that it somehow involved escalating the issue to the person your were talking to's manager, and their manager and potentially continued this path.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 02:49:08 PM

The banking agreements we sign in the USA give either party (customer or bank) the right to close an account for any reason, or even for no reason.
There is no obligation on either side to provide a reason, and there is strong incentive not to provide a reason for the bank.
Bank policy is typically to provide some notice, but it is not a requirement.

If they told you they closed the account because of bitcoin, that would be very interesting.  I suspect that is just your guess and that they didn't say it outright?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:57:20 AM

The banking agreements we sign in the USA give either party (customer or bank) the right to close an account for any reason, or even for no reason.
There is no obligation on either side to provide a reason, and there is strong incentive not to provide a reason for the bank.
Rant: Since the US government is discouraging cash and other non-bank transactions and forcing people to use banks to make transactions more traceable, then banks should be treated more like utility companies and laws should be changed to disallow banks from closing a person's account without reason.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 11:11:46 AM

Rant: Since the US government is discouraging cash and other non-bank transactions and forcing people to use banks to make transactions more traceable, then banks should be treated more like utility companies and laws should be changed to disallow banks from closing a person's account without reason.
Yes, though I'd rather see it go the other direction.
Stop discouraging cash and non=bank transactions.
Restoring freedom of association and unbridled right to contract without intermediaries would be nicer.
Bring back the 500 dollar bill and the 1000.
Money keeps getting worth less and the bills keep getting smaller.
The 10000 border limit hasn't changed since it was created despite inflation.
We know the Fed is out of control, and there is no fiscal discipline, but the people get tighter and tighter limites even as they violate theirs with the ever expanding debt ceiling.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
snappa4ever

Activity: 374

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:06:27 AM

How are people discouraged from using cash? Everyone is able to spend cash with ease throughout the economy. There are very few industries that will not accept cash (airlines primarily) but this is due to logistics not from government intervention.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:50:09 AM

I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK at least I think we're (slowly) moving in that direction i.e. banking services as a basic right, not to be withheld without good reason.  We have a financial ombudsman service that can help and the courts are always an option.
dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:07:00 PM

I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK at least I think we're (slowly) moving in that direction i.e. banking services as a basic right, not to be withheld without good reason.  We have a financial ombudsman service that can help and the courts are always an option.
The US is moving in the opposite direction. An increasing percentage of the population is "unbanked" meaning they do not have a basic bank account and rely on things like check cashing services and money orders to get paid and pay bills.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 08:59:25 PM

I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK at least I think we're (slowly) moving in that direction i.e. banking services as a basic right, not to be withheld without good reason.  We have a financial ombudsman service that can help and the courts are always an option.
The US is moving in the opposite direction. An increasing percentage of the population is "unbanked" meaning they do not have a basic bank account and rely on things like check cashing services and money orders to get paid and pay bills.

History's long arc tells a different story.
Once upon a time, payrolls were done in cash.
Make no mistake, despite the increasing number of unbanked, the US is very anti cash at the policy level.
That this increases costs for the unbanked also increases the need for things like bitcoin.

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:14:51 PM

Bankers are scarred of the things they don't understand. They can just close an account without any explanation and bitcoin is a good reason as any for them.

True enough, although it seems unfair that they closed his sisters account for his transaction of all things
It seems communist in the sense that your forced to use X Bank to do X transaction and cannot use alternatives.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: