Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:32:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Citi report on bitcoin  (Read 2458 times)
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:10:21 PM

Just read the coindesk article re: citi report on bitcoin saying the effect of mining & increased retail adoption is depressing the price.

My possibly naive takeaway from this is that on the retail adoption side this is a necessary evil. upon acceptance a company may initially sell straight away into the market be ause they are basically testing the waters, but as their btc sales stabilise they will (lseeing the successful example of overstock) begin to hold a percentage in btc. this will equal less supply and will encourage b2b usage in the medium term even though it has a price dampening impact initially.

its part of the reason for the stagnating price but will also be part of the reason that it eventually takes off again.

id guess its a 12 month lag between accepting, holding and then paying suppliers in btc.

http://www.coindesk.com/citi-miners-merchants-keeping-bitcoin-prices-check/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:19:52 PM

that theory still bugs the heck outta me.  i understand the gist of it but the increased monetary velocity will in the long run greatly improve the price dynamic as more consumers adopt and as more merchants hold back BTC.  the secondary supplier function should start getting more widespread as well.

we've also arguably completed a natural down cycle as a result of the run up late last year.  there will come a time when the price starts to rise along with increasing merchant adoption and all this talk will disappear.
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:31:49 PM

that theory still bugs the heck outta me.  i understand the gist of it but the increased monetary velocity will in the long run greatly improve the price dynamic as more consumers adopt and as more merchants hold back BTC.  the secondary supplier function should start getting more widespread as well.

we've also arguably completed a natural down cycle as a result of the run up late last year.  there will come a time when the price starts to rise along with increasing merchant adoption and all this talk will disappear.

yes, a little bit of anxiety now for much bigger benefits later.

i think it is great that btc has someone like Patrick Byrne on its side pushing the barrow. I dont know how these things work, but I'd say Overstock have gone from implementing to holding a % quite quickly. And then Newegg (smartly) begins offering % discounts for btc usage and this little niche economy grows and grows.
Habeler876

Activity: 624
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:35:28 PM

we've also arguably completed a natural down cycle as a result of the run up late last year. 

What sort of basis are you using to conclude that this cycle has now completed? This would only be clearly visible in hindsight, so I am curious what metrics you are looking at.

johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:39:30 PM

"Bitcoin’s price is poised for “acute instability” due to an oversupply of coins from miners and large merchants, along with a weak growth in demand, according to a new research note from financial giant Citi."

the miners having a big impact on the price, because they giving new supply of bitcoins. even there are just 3600 BTC mined a day compared to already 13.000.000 on the market, a part of them have to find new buyers.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:41:16 PM

we've also arguably completed a natural down cycle as a result of the run up late last year.  

What sort of basis are you using to conclude that this cycle has now completed? This would only be clearly visible in hindsight, so I am curious what metrics you are looking at.

we've broken the downtrend lines.  we've also broken the uptrend lines.  but time is also important, as i am a cycle trader.  this pullback interval has been longer than normal, despite lots of good news, but we are still above last April's low.  so i think it is "time" and the fundamentals have, imo, improved.  plus, other factors.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:43:53 PM

Big banks with active trading desks often produce documents helping members of the general public to know which direction the price of a commodity is moving in the future. Trebles all round!
fonzie

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:43:05 PM

Big banks with active trading desks often produce documents helping members of the general public to know which direction the price of a commodity is moving in the future. Trebles all round!

Cheesy

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:06:28 PM

Steven Englander has been myopic on bitcoin for a while now; he's basically on my internet-wide ignore list.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Jamacn

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:10:16 AM

Bitcoin into life, all discussion will disappear.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:41:34 AM

Just read the coindesk article re: citi report on bitcoin saying the effect of mining & increased retail adoption is depressing the price.

My possibly naive takeaway from this is that on the retail adoption side this is a necessary evil. upon acceptance a company may initially sell straight away into the market be ause they are basically testing the waters, but as their btc sales stabilise they will (lseeing the successful example of overstock) begin to hold a percentage in btc. this will equal less supply and will encourage b2b usage in the medium term even though it has a price dampening impact initially.

its part of the reason for the stagnating price but will also be part of the reason that it eventually takes off again.

id guess its a 12 month lag between accepting, holding and then paying suppliers in btc.

http://www.coindesk.com/citi-miners-merchants-keeping-bitcoin-prices-check/

Geez!!!! Did they also find that wheels are round???  Cheesy
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:23:23 AM

Retail adoption is good. It creates more public awareness of not only bitcoin but also the features of bitcoin. Citi is correct to say that most merchants will likely sell their bitcoin when they receive it as revenue, however they are wrong to say that this creates selling pressure on bitcoin. The reason they are wrong is because in order for someone to spend bitcoin they would first either need to buy it or mine it.
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:50:22 AM

Agreed, and, although I can't prove it, I think that BTC velocity is widely misinterpreted in many of the writings I've seen.  I believe BTC velocity is significantly lower than the stats I've seen.  Merchant adoption will have a big impact on velocity, which will help in the long run.

I think it's also reasonable to suspect that many purchases from, say, Overstock or NewEgg, aren't really people who are "selling" BTC, per se.  These folks are likely to re-buy BTC to replenish their supply.

There is really no case to be made that merchant adoption is bad short-term or long-term.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 12:00:57 PM

I think it's also reasonable to suspect that many purchases from, say, Overstock or NewEgg, aren't really people who are "selling" BTC, per se.  These folks are likely to re-buy BTC to replenish their supply.

This. Either people are replacing the Bitcoins they already had or they didn't have Bitcoins to start with and are merely buying them to buy with a discount.
painlord2k

Activity: 453
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:15:47 PM

If people are buying bitcoins to exploit a discount, they are, nonetheless holding bitcoins for a short period of time and in a few cases will continue to hold some change.
Both ways will increase the time some bitcoins are held by people. It is like a pipe: longer the pipe, more  water there will be.

The merchants adoption will start to not cause downward pressure as they start to hold bitcoins (like Overstock) and use them to B2B payments (I see Dell starting to do this with some chinese suppliers in the future) or paying employees, etc. This also make the pipe longer. And in time the pipe will close on itself in some, growing, loops.

The other part of the hydraulic comparison is about inflation.
Currently, adoption (pipe becoming longer) and holders (reservoir inside the piping system) are the cause of increasing exchange rate. In essence they are sucking value in.
Inflation is like the level of the water. Inflation of bitcoins is starting to become lower than inflation of USD (other currencies already have higher inflation and other have lower inflation now but will have higher inflation in the not so distant future).

The USD piping (monetary) system is connected to the BTC system, but as inflation rise, it is like the level of a water raising. Pressure will make the water (value) there to move to the lower pipes and reservoirs (BTC). Higher the pressure difference (inflation difference) faster the water will flow. And if pressure mounth enough and force is concentrated enough, weak point will break increasing the leaking to the USD system.

There is a strange (network) effect: more pressure will force the system at lower level to grow faster, increasing the leaking of the system at higher level (fiat money), where the outflow from higher systems will cause them to shrink, pushing more water out.

Like in real world pipe systems, there could be choke points, where water flow slow down, limits to the size of pipes and speed of water. So, whatever conditions in other point of the system are, the total leakage rate could not exceed some limits.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:21:52 PM

Accepting BTC is a newsworthy event, and you can lessen the impact for conservative stockholders by implying 100% conversion to fiat:  "At this point bitpay converts all paid BTC to USD at the moment of sale so there is no exchange risk".  However, CHANGING that 100% to 90% then 50% then 0% is easy and can be done without any external difference.

WRT the idea that merchant adoption = short term slide, places like coinbase make it so easy to cash out that this seems unlikely.

tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:00:53 PM

This. Either people are replacing the Bitcoins they already had or they didn't have Bitcoins to start with and are merely buying them to buy with a discount.

Not only do I replace what I spend in btc, if its a 'dip' at the time, I often buy more.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 02:07:46 PM

The theory is completely counter to empirical observations. New merchants have been coming online gradually and continuously since 2010. All the way from Alpaca socks to Dell. Has the price been falling since 2010?
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:41:48 PM

The merchants adoption will start to not cause downward pressure as they start to hold bitcoins (like Overstock) and use them to B2B payments (I see Dell starting to do this with some chinese suppliers in the future) or paying employees, etc. This also make the pipe longer. And in time the pipe will close on itself in some, growing, loops.

Im guessing next financial year will see increased implentation of bitcoin strategies. Hopefully this includes b2b plans / projects.
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 04:03:37 PM

Citi had not really said anything we didn't know before
Kinda peddling the obvious as insight
Plus can't help feeling they might be talking own the price for their own ends

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: