Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:48:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomasz Kaye will make a Bitcoin Video  (Read 6573 times)
osmosis (OP)

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 10:29:13 PM

I have been emailing with Tomasz Kaye, and he says he is willing to do a bitcoin video.  For those who do not know, Thomasz is the one behind georgeoughttohelp.com. 

The bitcoin video would most likely be in the style of his most recent video on liberty you can view here..
http://www.libertariannews.org/2012/04/04/awesome-video-on-the-stateless-society-the-machinery-of-freedom-illustrated-summary/

Last order of business, Tomasz is requesting we organize $2k worth of bitcoins to fund this project. I think this is very reasonable,..if you see his other crowdfunded projects he is getting $5k for it and doesnt seem to have a problem raising it. http://www.indiegogo.com/Albin-and-the-bully

So next, we need to create the audio side of things. At first I was considering these talks,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKx6lhxM_8
http://www.libertariannews.org/2012/03/17/wbgo-new-york-jazz-station-bitcoin-expose/
but there were only parts of them I liked. Then I realized that we could probably just splice together the best parts from all the best talks. Ill need everyones help for this...locating the talks, getting permission to use them, and deciding which segments to use. Then we need someone who can do the editing to pull it all together

If we can pull this all together, I think this could be the best bitcoin video made so far, and could potentially be much more interesting, informative, and go viral to a much larger audience.

One other note from Tomasz, "It's maybe a good idea to offer that donations above 10 BTC will be rewarded by the donators name or URL listed in the end credits of the film. That's straightforward to do, and offers a nice incentive for people to promote their BTC friendly businesses."

Please give your thoughts and suggestions here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 10:36:40 PM

I would suggest the perfect crowdsourcing site, which can accept bitcoin donations:

http://piratemyfilm.com

I am still producing the bitcoin video that I fundraised through that, and its coming along very nicely!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 11:13:24 PM

What's the length of this video?

If there isn't a perfect example of an already recorded narrative, it's probably best to create the perfect narrative for the purpose of the video. Meaning, make a script, and have it recorded by a quality voice actor.

I think for any video to come close to matching the professionalism or appeal of WeUseCoins, it cannot just be an excerpt from a pre-recorded speech or a mash-up of several such speeches. The narrative needs to be produced on target, and then the animation produced to the narrative.
MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 11:25:06 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2012, 08:35:05 AM by MaxSan

What's the length of this video?

If there isn't a perfect example of an already recorded narrative, it's probably best to create the perfect narrative for the purpose of the video. Meaning, make a script, and have it recorded by a quality voice actor.

I think for any video to come close to matching the professionalism or appeal of WeUseCoins, it cannot just be an excerpt from a pre-recorded speech or a mash-up of several such speeches. The narrative needs to be produced on target, and then the animation produced to the narrative.

This. This is the way things are suppose to be done not the other way round.

EDIT: I do still like the idea. Didnt seem to come across as cold.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 11:32:18 PM

I would suggest the perfect crowdsourcing site, which can accept bitcoin donations:

I am still producing the bitcoin video that I fundraised through that, and its coming along very nicely!
Tell me, Sir,
will you make a financial gain on payments sent to "piratemyfilm"?
I believe they use Bit-Pay, in which case there is a fee unless they have been granted an exception for some reason.
Failing that, I see why you would promote this site (to pad your pocket, obviously), although full disclosure would be preferred. To be blunt, I would expect full disclosure from a man of your stature.

On behalf of the uninitiated,
Terry
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 11:44:42 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2012, 12:16:13 AM by Bit-pay Merchant Solutions

Tell me, Sir,
I believe they use Bit-Pay, in which case there is a fee unless they have been granted an exception for some reason.
Failing that, I see why you would promote this site (to pad your pocket, obviously), although full disclosure would be preferred. To be blunt, I would expect full disclosure from a man of your stature.

Terry

We spent about $2000 of our own money to fly to Prague, fly Max and Stacy to Prague, negotiate the deal for them to accept bitcoin, work with their developer to integrate bit-pay, and test and launch the system.

Bit-Pay makes 0.99% of bitcoin sales on this site.  So far to date that has earned us approximately $7.95.  So we have a loooooooong way to go before any profits are close to being realized.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 11:53:28 PM

I can recommend this for crowdfunding - BitcoinStarter - http://www.coinconnect.org/groups/profile/34430/bitcoinstarter

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 12:03:31 AM

Tell me, Sir,

Terry

Shut up Terry. Profit is good, not bad.

PirateMyFilm is a extremely appropriate tool for this project and I hope Tony makes a gazillion Bitcoins for producing such a wonderful system to enable easy and efficient payments through that site.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 12:07:00 AM

osmosis I am confused.

You say Mr. Kaye will make a video for $2K and that sounds great I would gladly donate towards a top notch video explaining the merits of Bitcoin.

Then you go on to say we need to create the audio and talk about grabbing sound clips.  $2K for a seemless video (something similar to what is recorded at the link) is a great deal.  $2K for some animation which clashes horribly with soundbites is worthless IMHO.

The goal would be a professional seemless top notch video.   Maybe I am not understanding what is proposed?
terrytibbs

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 12:27:45 AM

We spent about $2000 of our own money to fly to Prague, fly Max and Stacy to Prague, negotiate the deal for them to accept bitcoin, work with their developer to integrate bit-pay, and test and launch the system.

Bit-Pay makes 0.99% of bitcoin sales on this site.  So far to date that has earned us approximately $7.95.  So we have a loooooooong way to go before any profits are close to being realized.
Thanks, this is the reply I expected.

Shut up Terry. Profit is good, not bad.

PirateMyFilm is a extremely appropriate tool for this project and I hope Tony makes a gazillion Bitcoins for producing such a wonderful system to enable easy and efficient payments through that site.
Profit is great! Concealing an advertisement in something that looks like a personal recommendation without disclosing the nature of your business interests isn't (in my book).

You are of course free to do what ever you'd like.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 01:30:07 AM

I have had numerous interactions with Tomasz as well, and I would LOVE to have him help with the next Bitcoin video.

His video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMQZEIXBMs  is one of my very favorites in all of youtube.
It started the longest discussion my facebook page has ever seen.

I am more than happy to donate towards making this happen.

Tomasz is a real world HERO!

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 02:08:26 AM

I have had numerous interactions with Tomasz as well, and I would LOVE to have him help with the next Bitcoin video.

His video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMQZEIXBMs  is one of my very favorites in all of youtube.
It started the longest discussion my facebook page has ever seen.

I am more than happy to donate towards making this happen.

Tomasz is a real world HERO!

thanks for the link. from someone who'd never heard of tomasz or georgeoughttohelp before.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:38:40 AM

osmosis I am confused.

You say Mr. Kaye will make a video for $2K and that sounds great I would gladly donate towards a top notch video explaining the merits of Bitcoin.

Then you go on to say we need to create the audio and talk about grabbing sound clips.  $2K for a seemless video (something similar to what is recorded at the link) is a great deal.  $2K for some animation which clashes horribly with soundbites is worthless IMHO.

The goal would be a professional seemless top notch video.   Maybe I am not understanding what is proposed?
I met with osmosis this morning and got the short version of this project. My understanding is that the audio/video that would be used in the final product would be edited in with matched animation. Using snippets from bitcoin talks given around the world.  but I'll let him explain his vision.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:48:06 AM

Don't we have an awesome video already at http://weusecoins.com?

bitlizard

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 06:34:08 PM

Terry, thanks for protecting us ignorant folk from the massive fraud that bitpay tried to pull on us by recommending a service for our needs! lets stay vigilant and make sure no one makes any profit ever. That's a sure way to discourage capital investment and ensure bitcoin goes nowhere fast.
Will this discussion be on piratemyfilm? link?

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
terrytibbs

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 06:42:47 PM

Terry, thanks for protecting us ignorant folk from the massive fraud that bitpay tried to pull on us by recommending a service for our needs! lets stay vigilant and make sure no one makes any profit ever. That's a sure way to discourage capital investment and ensure bitcoin goes nowhere fast.
Will do, Sir!
osmosis (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 07:02:19 PM

Tomasz doesnt have a bitcointalk account yet, so I am posting this for him here..

"""
A few things i wanted to mention in response to the conversation there:

Audio

I'm very happy to have the decisions made about which parts of spoken text to include, made by you and others. But it will make sense for me to do the actual editing of the audio myself as I put the thing together. I have a bunch of software that I'll be using to optimise the audio quality, and if i'm doing the editing I'll have more flexibility during this stage.

Expectations, working process

The way I see it potentially working is that the decisions about narrative content are handled by you and others, and then that's passed on to me. I'll need a good deal of autonomy while working on the animation, so this won't be a democratic or transparent process (at least after it gets passed on to me)--it will require a good amount of trust in my ability to create something worthwhile. This may be important to communicate to potential sponsors early on.

If there are particular requirements about how things should be visualised, you can let me know, but I expect most of these decisions to be left up to me--in order for me to be able to draw the kinds of things I think i can do a good job of!

A video about Bitcoin, not libertarianism

Although I'm certainly a libertarian, any worries that this video be an advocacy for a stateless society are unfounded. At least as far as I'm imagining the content chosen, it will be a video about BitCoin--not about libertarianism (although of course there are obvious overlaps). Nor will I be a spokesperson for BitCoin in this vid, I plan to mention my my name and email address in the credits, but apart from that I'll be as 'behind the scenes' as possible.

Rough audio can be good audio

I strongly disagree with the one commentator who believes that a high-quality custom narration recording would be necessary to create a video capable of achieving the desired impact. I believe that a 'patchwork' of different voices can give a very dynamic and engaging effect. Also worth bearing in mind: there is an extent to which people appreciate perceived authenticity. The 'slick' approach is already very well represented in the weusecoins video. This new video would take a different approach. In my view, what it may lack in polish (as far as the audio recordings go at least) it would more than make up for in dynamism, the impression of authenticity, and engaging visual style.

In my view the RSA animated illustration format works best when there's a certain casualness to the narration--the result is as if these images are a visual manifestation of thought, conjured up as the person develops his story on the spot. This effect is diminished, imo, to the extent that the viewer is under the impression they're listening to a carefully scripted narration. I believe that the 'roughness' of the sample audio I've heard suits this approach very well.

That's all for now (please feel free to relay any of this to the forum as you see fit).
Thanks! Tomasz
"""
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 07:18:23 PM

I await this video with great patience.

Hopefully the price will go to $5 again as a result, too Cheesy
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 08:54:37 PM

I strongly disagree with the one commentator who believes that a high-quality custom narration recording would be necessary to create a video capable of achieving the desired impact. I believe that a 'patchwork' of different voices can give a very dynamic and engaging effect. Also worth bearing in mind: there is an extent to which people appreciate perceived authenticity. The 'slick' approach is already very well represented in the weusecoins video. This new video would take a different approach. In my view, what it may lack in polish (as far as the audio recordings go at least) it would more than make up for in dynamism, the impression of authenticity, and engaging visual style.

In my view the RSA animated illustration format works best when there's a certain casualness to the narration--the result is as if these images are a visual manifestation of thought, conjured up as the person develops his story on the spot. This effect is diminished, imo, to the extent that the viewer is under the impression they're listening to a carefully scripted narration. I believe that the 'roughness' of the sample audio I've heard suits this approach very well.

+1

I feel it would work especially well with a p2p project like bitcoin. 

Bitcoin, I feel, is best portrayed as 'not' just another way/scheme for one to get wealthy, but as a fair system that just works, for everybody.

Such ideas, I think, are best put across using as little as possible the usual slick formulaic advertising/propaganda tricks that have become
ubiquitous post World War II; instead appealing to higher centers within the human psyche.   

osmosis (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 09:33:06 PM

+1

I feel it would work especially well with a p2p project like bitcoin. 

Bitcoin, I feel, is best portrayed as 'not' just another way/scheme for one to get wealthy, but as a fair system that just works, for everybody.

Such ideas, I think, are best put across using as little as possible the usual slick formulaic advertising/propaganda tricks that have become
ubiquitous post World War II; instead appealing to higher centers within the human psyche.   

Having multiple voices would really convey that this is a decentralized movement ... in a kind of 'we are the world' type of feeling (if you know what I mean.)

Now for the actual work of getting this done...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: