Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:43:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: In * we trust?  (Read 2129 times)
R2D221 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:55:46 PM

When people do these Bitcoin physical mockups, why do they always use some variation of the motto “In God We Trust” (e.g. “In Cryptocurrency We Trust”, “In Bitcoin We Trust”, “In Satoshi We Trust”, etc.)? Why don't people come up with something better? The motto is very specific to US currency, and as far as I know, the main ideology behind Bitcoin is to ditch fiat currency (which includes the US dollar). Also, the motto talks about faith in a deity, and I don't think we should blindly have faith in Bitcoin (we however, can trust it works by analyzing its source code).

On the other hand, there are other mottos I like, like “Vires in Numeris”, that had no reference to other currencies.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:21:35 PM

When people do these Bitcoin physical mockups, why do they always use some variation of the motto “In God We Trust” (e.g. “In Cryptocurrency We Trust”, “In Bitcoin We Trust”, “In Satoshi We Trust”, etc.)? Why don't people come up with something better? The motto is very specific to US currency, and as far as I know, the main ideology behind Bitcoin is to ditch fiat currency (which includes the US dollar). Also, the motto talks about faith in a deity, and I don't think we should blindly have faith in Bitcoin (we however, can trust it works by analyzing its source code).

On the other hand, there are other mottos I like, like “Vires in Numeris”, that had no reference to other currencies.

It makes sense not to use a trust motto for bitcoin, because bitcoin is essentially trustless (in regard to trusting people "managing" the currency).

"Strength in numbers" is a very good motto in that regard. "Money, liberated" is my personal favorite.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Scoremaster

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

Hi I am back from a long period of away time :)

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:47:57 PM

true, i always hated how its about "trusting" bitcoin. it shouldnt need trust.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
JohnFromWIT

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 03:47:11 PM

I liked the "Vires In Numeris" one from the Casascius coins.
Clever and original. Showing some thought was put into it.
The "In Satoshi We Trust" one in particular is pretty funny,
Assuming that the person who proposed an uncontrolled currency can somehow control it to better society.

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 05:34:10 PM

I have a Bitcoin PIN that looks like a coin.  Text  reads:

Liberty, Equity, Truth

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 05:46:09 PM

why do they always use some variation of the motto “In God We Trust” (e.g. “In Cryptocurrency We Trust”, “In Bitcoin We Trust”, “In Satoshi We Trust”, etc.)? Why don't people come up with something better?

Yeah! "In no1 we trust"!
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 06:35:06 PM

"In observable evidence I trust"

"In mathematical proof I trust"

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:40:32 PM

Bitcoin doesn't need a motto, but if we use one it really should be "Vires in Numeris" IMHO. In God We Trust variations sound like cheap ripoffs and everything else just doesn't make sense because we already have the widely used Vires in Numeris.

I have a Bitcoin PIN that looks like a coin.  Text  reads:

Liberty, Equity, Truth

No offense, I am only pointing this out because I think it's funny, but notice how you capitalized pin like "PIN" which is an abbreviation for personal identification number?  Cheesy

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:35:46 PM

why do they always use some variation of the motto “In God We Trust” (e.g. “In Cryptocurrency We Trust”, “In Bitcoin We Trust”, “In Satoshi We Trust”, etc.)? Why don't people come up with something better?

Yeah! "In no1 we trust"!
I don't know if this is a good idea. In the marketplace (and in other similar exchanges) people will generally trust people who they have traded with previously. They will trust people who have done a lot of transactions with people that have traded with a lot of other people (see default trust). If you were to say that you trust "no one" then the vast majority of the trades would not be able to be facilitated because neither party would be able to "send first"

ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 01:54:52 PM

I don't know if this is a good idea. In the marketplace (and in other similar exchanges) people will generally trust people who they have traded with previously. They will trust people who have done a lot of transactions with people that have traded with a lot of other people (see default trust). If you were to say that you trust "no one" then the vast majority of the trades would not be able to be facilitated because neither party would be able to "send first"

Use a multisig escrow. Past performance does not guarantee future performance. Pirateat40 was the highest rated user and always paid on time for a year up until he scammed millions. Trusting people based on the fact they have had lots of positive transactions in the past is a bad idea, that is how all of the biggest scammers pulled off their scams.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
inBitweTrust

Merit: 501

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:08:26 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2014, 02:20:56 PM by inBitweTrust

Bitcoin is open source and decentralized so there isn't one motto and should never be one motto.

Trust doesn't necessarily involve any faith. I have no use for faith in my life. I trust Bitcoin because I understand the mathematics, the cryptography , the source code and the incentive structure which benefits good behavior over bad behavior. This trust isn't immutable and can be broken in light of new evidence.

mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1044
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 03:53:19 PM

Bitcoin is open source and decentralized so there isn't one motto and should never be one motto.

Trust doesn't necessarily involve any faith. I have no use for faith in my life. I trust Bitcoin because I understand the mathematics, the cryptography , the source code and the incentive structure which benefits good behavior over bad behavior. This trust isn't immutable and can be broken in light of new evidence.

Agreed. Because it is p2p and decentralized, there should be no "motto". But, I do see the point of having one. Gives it some type of....well, you know what I mean.

Bogleg

Activity: 185

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:08:37 PM

Since bitcoin is based on cryptography. It won't be out out line to say:

In cryptography we trust.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:13:55 PM

In cryptography we trust.*

* unless P=NP

Trust should be transient and relative based upon current evidence. Only one thing in life is 100% knowable.

R2D221 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:12:00 PM

* unless P=NP

What would happen to Bitcoin if it's proven that P=NP? What kind of algorithm could it possibly use?

R2D221 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:13:35 PM

Since bitcoin is based on cryptography. It won't be out out line to say:

While technically correct, my real issue is with mimicking the US dollar. There are more currencies in the world, why not at least imitate another one?

inBitweTrust

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:46:22 PM

While technically correct, my real issue is with mimicking the US dollar. There are more currencies in the world, why not at least imitate another one?
What would happen to Bitcoin if it's proven that P=NP? What kind of algorithm could it possibly use?

I wasn't aware Bitcoin had an official motto?

If an answer to P=NP was discovered than almost all cryptography would be at risk because answers could be solved in polynomial time.

Don't worry, this is unlikely to happen and if it did Bitcoin would be the least of our worries.

R2D221 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:48:38 PM

I wasn't aware Bitcoin had an official motto?

I never said it did. This is just personal opinion.

Moneyunmaker

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 11:34:05 PM

In crypto we trust
panck4beer

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 11:51:26 PM

BTW I like: "You can only trust yourselves"