Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:14:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase Insured  (Read 5738 times)
allgoodthings1 (OP)

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:34:47 PM

http://blog.coinbase.com/post/95927658922/coinbase-insured

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
bitcoinstarter

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:35:16 PM

About time ?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:37:11 PM

well that's good news.
allgoodthings1 (OP)

Activity: 270

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:38:14 PM

About time we knew, I guess that is.  It's been a knowable circumstance for a long time. Just not widely known, I guess.

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:52:01 PM

Old news, coinbase has been insured for over a year...

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:50:36 PM

Thats great they insure coins but what if someone logs into your account and buys 10btc from your Bank transfer and sends it off? Your out 5000$?

Coinbase has security steps in place to prevent this from happening to a user if they protect themselves. You can setup 2-Factor Authentication for Buys/logins/api key creations + Email notifications, I think I read in one blog post that you could even have your coinbase buys go directly to your multisig "coinbase vault" after the waiting period.

Any buys on coinbase over 1000USD are not instantaneous, a 10btc buy on coinbase most likely you can get them too cancel the pending order if you inform them you were hacked and provide details etc. The reason they can cancel it is because it takes multiple days to receive coin values in amounts greater than 1000, also I've heard from people that some banks won't debit coinbase right away with larger purchases so that can add yet another day or two before the funds leave your account. Since all of this waiting for the coins happens before your account ever gains control of the coins you should have enough time to contact coinbase and your bank and get it canceled.

tldr; Worse case scenario in my mind someone does manage to get into your coinbase, they would make a buy for ~999.99 dollars each week you don't notice because it would be instant and they could broadcast a transaction to a wallet they own within seconds.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 2200

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 07:54:32 PM

Well, this is great news if you ask me. It's always nice to know that your coins are "secure" somewhere.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 08:03:21 PM

So they're saying that they are immune against another mt.gox incident, as well as individual theft due to their part only. It's too bad you can't actually store your fiat on there as a reserve for day trading. All transactions are 4-day wait periods until your btc or USD clears.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:06:07 PM

as long as it covers bankruptcy. so that customers dont have to wait 2 years to even find out if they are gonna get 1penny

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
virtfund

Activity: 672
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:36:07 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Coinbase. Plenty of people have been having problems with it for me to take my business elsewhere. Coin.mx seems like a good alternative, though.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:43:20 PM

That is good to hear that they are insured, however the insurance that most people would be interested in is the one factor that looks like it isn't covered (if someone gets your log ins and is able to withdraw funds)...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:48:15 PM

That is good to hear that they are insured, however the insurance that most people would be interested in is the one factor that looks like it isn't covered (if someone gets your log ins and is able to withdraw funds)...

imagine how many people will claim they were hacked just to get free money..
chargeback scammers are ripe in the community and that is always their excuse

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:50:00 PM

What this insurance covers is if any workers steal a private key it would be covered.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:59:15 PM

The insurance covers losses due to breaches in physical or cyber security, accidental loss, and employee theft.  It doesn’t cover bitcoin lost or stolen as a result of an individual user’s negligence to maintain secure control over their login credentials.

They are insured, NOT their customers. I have made the exit strategy bold. Moreover, what would happen for an address collision is not clear.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:13:04 PM

Why is twobitidiot on Twitter claiming this only applies to hot wallet?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:17:42 PM

Why is twobitidiot on Twitter claiming this only applies to hot wallet?

You typed out his name and you have to ask? lol

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 10:26:11 PM

They are insured, NOT their customers. I have made the exit strategy bold. Moreover, what would happen for an address collision is not clear.

When does ANY exchange insure lost bitcoins for an individual's own negligence? If they do insure these types of lost btc, then it's open for a lot of abuse. It's the equivalent of a chargeback.

wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

imagine how many people will claim they were hacked just to get free money..
chargeback scammers are ripe in the community and that is always their excuse
I would imagine that the insurance only covers their losses, not the losses of their customers. The insurance would likely only payout if they followed verifiable security policies that would prevent the vast majorities of possible thefts.

Any insurance company that would payout any kind of insurance claim solely because the insured claims to be a victim would be horrible at managing risk. 

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:57:57 AM

Moreover, what would happen for an address collision is not clear.

It's also not clear what would happen if aliens from outer space land on the White House front lawn and use advanced mind reading technology to grab the userIDs and passwords of all Coinbase users and steal all of their bitcoins.
cccarnation

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:04:25 AM

Getting insurance is good, getting paid out on it is another thing entirely.
Either way, good step!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: