Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:12:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase Insured  (Read 5736 times)
superbd

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:06:16 PM

Interesting. It's good to see Coinbase setting the standard here. Of course, employee infidelity and hacking are just two ways that bitcoins could disappear.

What about physical theft? Summary says that the insurance covers losses due to physical security breach, so presumably physical theft is covered. Missed that in the summary.
What about natural disasters, fire, flood, etc.?
What about kidnap/ransom/extortion of employees?
What about lawful confiscation (usually not covered by policies)?
What are the actual limits of the policy?
Are the limits on a per-account basis (like the FDIC), per occurrence basis, or per policy period?
Was the policy designed to cover the type of hacking that allegedly occurred with Mt. Gox?

Actually, Circle is setting the standard. They've already been insured by marsh - coinbase is catching up. circle is getting ready to haul past coinbase

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AaronCraig

Activity: 26

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:24:21 PM

Exclusions include force majeure
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-

After thinking about your question more, I'm still unsure, since Kerpupples allegedly said it was due to Bitcoin's tx-malleability issue, and not MtGox itself. Not sure about this one, good question.
Onanula

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:38:55 PM

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-

After thinking about your question more, I'm still unsure, since Kerpupples allegedly said it was due to Bitcoin's tx-malleability issue, and not MtGox itself. Not sure about this one, good question.

"Force majeure" is a general term that encompasses a lot of different circumstances. I've never seen a policy exclude risks due to "force majeure" without defining precisely what those risks are. And in my experience, risks like war, riots, and civil unrest are usually excluded, while risks like flooding, fire, and other natural disasters are usually, but not always, covered.
I would not characterize kidnap, ransom, and extortion as force majeure.

And the whole transaction malleability issue - that might make a good insurance coverage case! (Which would be good for people like me, bad for everyone else.)
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 05:21:43 AM

"Force majeure" is a general term that encompasses a lot of different circumstances. I've never seen a policy exclude risks due to "force majeure" without defining precisely what those risks are. And in my experience, risks like war, riots, and civil unrest are usually excluded, while risks like flooding, fire, and other natural disasters are usually, but not always, covered.
I would not characterize kidnap, ransom, and extortion as force majeure.

And the whole transaction malleability issue - that might make a good insurance coverage case! (Which would be good for people like me, bad for everyone else.)
It is not hard to protect yourself from malleability issues. I would highly doubt that coinbase wold suffer any losses due to malleability.

When gox disclosed their losses due to malleability, other major exchanges temporary suspended withdrawals, however none of them were vulnerable and were able to resume withdrawals without changes to their processes.

NikkieBeraj

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 08:13:49 PM

Might want to check, but several months ago a story circulated with proof that fewer than ~200 BTC were ever stolen due to tx malleability. If this specifically was the claim Mark made, then it's a lie.
Jeramom

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 08:57:31 PM

Interesting. It's good to see Coinbase setting the standard here. Of course, employee infidelity and hacking are just two ways that bitcoins could disappear.

What about physical theft? Summary says that the insurance covers losses due to physical security breach, so presumably physical theft is covered. Missed that in the summary.
Are the limits on a per-account basis (like the FDIC), per occurrence basis, or per policy period?
Was the policy designed to cover the type of hacking that allegedly occurred with Mt. Gox?

Actually, Circle is setting the standard. They've already been insured by marsh - coinbase is catching up. circle is getting ready to haul past coinbase

Marsh is a broker, not an insurer.
WineAndWhiskey

Activity: 5

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 09:20:24 PM

wonder if by "online storage" they mean the percentage they keep available to trade (didn't they say this is like 3% or something?), or their cold storage wallets.

Good catch! According to their security page https://coinbase.com/security:
Up to 97% of customer funds are stored offline
AND
Funds not stored offline are covered by insurance
So yeah, only hot (online) storage is insured.
Gogo ppp
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:59:53 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2014, 11:16:26 PM by Gogo ppp

Setting the standard for what, deception? 97% of deposits are offline and therefore uninsured.

Things like this are very disturbing, and contribute to the overall feeling for myself and others that this is a sketchy company.

The more open and transparent they can be, the more trust can be gained.
Making deceptive statements causes a lack of trust that can take a long time to be regained.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:25:26 AM

I have little by little started moving the holdings that i had over at coinbase over to different clients (in which I control the private keys).   When I first started in BTC, Coinbase was the most natural fit because it was the easiest and fastest way for me to buy and store BTC.

Don't get me wrong, I still use Coinbase whenever I need to buy small amounts of BTC, but as they have grown and grown, I don't want to get into a position where for some reason accounts get frozen and then I lose access to that part of my holdings.

I just leave a small amount now over at Coinbase for when I need to sell a little (which is rare).   I keep my savings elswhere.   

It is cool that they have have made the fact that they are insured public.   The problem is that they are insured...not necessarily the users..
yitingyou

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:16:55 AM

I want to know insured by which insurance company
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 04:15:04 AM

I want to know insured by which insurance company

Coinbase is insured by Aon (who Coinbase states that they are the world's largest insurance broker).   I am not sure if they are the largest or not.

Here is a link to their website:  http://www.aon.com/default.jsp

Again, let me reiterate, that Coinbase has stated that THEY are insured for holding your coins.  YOU are NOT insured against your log-ins being compromised and losing coins as a result...
12inchdick

Activity: 20

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:34:12 PM

It specifically does not insure against individual users' bitcoins being stolen
CokeCoin

Activity: 235
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:13:29 PM

This is awesome, but I'm still going to store my btc offline.

GTA

Activity: 90

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:43:07 PM

Coinbase, what is the claim procedure and where is the fineprint pease?
Summer,69

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:14:29 PM

So... what about insurance on your cold storage? Are you keeping that a secret from everyone for another year, as well?
Oh, wait, I'm guessing you don't have any, and that 97% of your (our) bitcoin are completely uninsured.
Fail.
polunna

Activity: 57

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:43:57 AM

"Coinbase is insured against theft and hacking in an amount that exceeds the average value of bitcoin we hold in online storage at any given time."

Yet elsewhere you claim that only 3% of deposits are online, so 97% of deposited bitcoin are uninsured.
Are we supposed to pretend that the 97% offline have zero risk of theft? If that was true why aren't those 97% insured also?
Wow. Sneaky.

I think the idea is that the hot wallets are the ones that are most at risk. By insuring them, you decrease the risk of a financial loss if something happened to them.
Of course, there's always a risk that the insurer will be insolvent when it comes time to pay the claim. You can attempt to re-insure your way out of that, but at the end of the day, there will always be some risk.
bambino

Activity: 111

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:07:55 AM

"Coinbase is insured against theft and hacking in an amount that exceeds the average value of bitcoin we hold in online storage at any given time."

Yet elsewhere you claim that only 3% of deposits are online, so 97% of deposited bitcoin are uninsured.
Are we supposed to pretend that the 97% offline have zero risk of theft? If that was true why aren't those 97% insured also?
Wow. Sneaky.

I think the idea is that the hot wallets are the ones that are most at risk. By insuring them, you decrease the risk of a financial loss if something happened to them.
Of course, there's always a risk that the insurer will be insolvent when it comes time to pay the claim. You can attempt to re-insure your way out of that, but at the end of the day, there will always be some risk.

Great, so insuring the offline wallets should be inexpensive and easy to do, right?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:57:17 AM

It specifically does not insure against individual users' bitcoins being stolen

That depends on what you mean by "stolen".

In reference to your forum name: Do you want one, do you have one or do you like to play with them? It's not really clear.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 06:30:51 PM

Coinbase, what is the claim procedure and where is the fineprint pease?
Right. Is Coinbase, the company, insured, or are Coinbase's customers insured?

This is a huge difference. If Coinbase goes broke, like Mt. Gox, and only the company is insured, you lose. If the customer's balances are insured for the benefit of the customer (as is the case with US banks (FDIC, up to $250K) and brokers (SIPC, up to $500K), you get paid back.

If the customers were actually insured, they'd have the insurance terms and carrier publicly posted. They don't.
knifeedge

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:53:33 PM

This is good to hear but still doesn't mean keep your Bitcoin savings in Coinbase.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: