Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:13:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you accept 1TH of Monarchs for $850  (Read 1453 times)
evlew (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:14:07 PM

Because I will otherwise lose my 25% voucher, I am enticed to take this offer and receive a refund for the rest of my money. 

$850 for 2 monarchs is enticing.  Plus I will activate my cloud hashing so it is instantly online.

What do you think?  Ever make a ROI?  Or just opt for a full refund?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:35:11 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 10:55:20 PM by xstr8guy

That doesn't seem like a bad deal. Are you sure your voucher is valid for this offer though? And where is your place in the order queue? If you have to wait for delivery, forget it.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:40:05 AM

2 Monarchs for $850 vs 5-6 Antminer S1 used for $500 secondhand vs 2 new Antminer S3 shipped on 9/20.

If you have expensive power then the S3 would the best choice hands down.

If you have free power the question would be if you prefer buying used but know reliable hardware or BFL's new experimental hardware.  Given that my SC Single died 5 days after I got it I would avoid BFL hardware like the plague.
Kimowa

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:08:18 AM

1TH monarchs for 850$ seems like a bad deal, so many more better and energy saving asic going around..

cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 03:36:52 PM

Opt for the full refund... BFL hardware is crap and you can't trust them at all. You're better off getting a refund and doing something else, maybe buy some BTC now that the price is down a bit.
evlew (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:45:19 PM

So they corrected their error in their next email.  They didn't account for my 25% voucher. 

It turns out no matter what option I choose I lose the 25% discount.  What kind of shit show is this?
They also said I only get 600GH of cloud hashing.

I have free power but I will still be taking the full refund and investing in another company. 

I have multiple BFL products that are still running solid since receiving but, at this point I have lost my faith entirely.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:46:21 PM

Damn. I would pay 850 for one of them myself. Right now de now de now.

C
dropt
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:10:10 PM

So they corrected their error in their next email.  They didn't account for my 25% voucher. 

It turns out no matter what option I choose I lose the 25% discount.  What kind of shit show is this?
They also said I only get 600GH of cloud hashing.

I have free power but I will still be taking the full refund and investing in another company. 

I have multiple BFL products that are still running solid since receiving but, at this point I have lost my faith entirely.

Bail the F' out of BFL and buy other HW.  They're charging 2$ per GH and you can get other stuff as low as $0.70 per GH. 
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:13:50 PM

Bail the F' out of BFL and buy other HW.  They're charging 2$ per GH and you can get other stuff as low as $0.70 per GH. 
Depends. I could sell you a Single/50 for $25 bucks. That would be .50 per gh, is it a good deal?

How about ten bucks? .20 per gh. Super deal, right?

Answer: No because the unit pulls 200 watts to make 50gh. The number is power and price and gh performace.

C
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:28:38 PM

Bail the F' out of BFL and buy other HW.  They're charging 2$ per GH and you can get other stuff as low as $0.70 per GH.  
Depends. I could sell you a Single/50 for $25 bucks. That would be .50 per gh, is it a good deal?

How about ten bucks? .20 per gh. Super deal, right?

Answer: No because the unit pulls 200 watts to make 50gh. The number is power and price and gh performace.

C

The HW at $0.70 per GH is ~1W/GH.  You can also get HW at $0.65 per GH that's at ~0.7W/GH.

But, I bet you knew that and just wanted to nit-pick  Wink

Anyways, while you're right in your little scenario evlew states:

I have free power

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:12:40 PM

The HW at $0.70 per GH is ~1W/GH.  You can also get HW at $0.65 per GH that's at ~0.7W/GH.

But, I bet you knew that and just wanted to nit-pick  Wink
Not as such. However I don't trust any power quotes from vendors that don't have a picture of a P3 Watts Up meter in there.

Who is running a documented .7w/gh that I can buy right now?

(note: given the current difficulty and insanely low prices I have concluded that miners as a whole are exceptionally irrational)

C
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:09:51 PM

Who is running a documented .7w/gh that I can buy right now?

I believe that's BITMAIN.  I also believe some of the A1 vendors are pushing those numbers now too.

(note: given the current difficulty and insanely low prices I have concluded that miners as a whole are exceptionally irrational)

I wholeheartedly agree.  So, then, evlew should get a refund and buy coins.  Whatever the case, the BFL is a losing proposition.  There's no other way to slice it.  
btcm4n14c

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:15:08 PM

go get a full refund, you dont want anything from BFL
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:09:47 PM

I wholeheartedly agree.  So, then, evlew should get a refund and buy coins.  Whatever the case, the BFL is a losing proposition.  There's no other way to slice it.  
Hm.... Honestly I think it depends on why you're mining. When I picked up my Jally order in Jan 2013 it was to get rich or something. By the time I got it, it was a fun toy. A toy which I realized could do things... Like take more chips. And there were people who also wanted more chips and were willing to pay for it.

To my credit I refused work when it would result in a loss for the customer. Why? Because I guess I'm like that.

Point being though if you think you can sit on your ass and mine and make money you are expecting something for nothing which doesn't happen unless it's luck. If you use your abilities, you can make money but it's from your abilities, not your god-given right to sit on your ass.

Thus a BFL/KNC/Whatever can be a good investment, depends on what you do with it. My offer was to get one as a learning tool; maybe I could make other people's miners run faster/better/whatever and help them make profits while making profits myself.

We'll see.

C
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:46:46 PM

What kind of shit show is this?

The kind BFL always does. You would be a fool to skip the full refund option.

Buy & Hold
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 2078

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:52:37 PM

You don't have to think about it a lot, you should get full refund.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 12:07:47 AM

Hm.... Honestly I think it depends on why you're mining. When I picked up my Jally order in Jan 2013 it was to get rich or something. By the time I got it, it was a fun toy. A toy which I realized could do things... Like take more chips. And there were people who also wanted more chips and were willing to pay for it.
Picking a Jalepeno for a couple hundred bucks is a completely different game then spending thousands of dollars on BFL's hopes and promises.  That aside, that's great that you baked some chips on there and changed some values in the open sourced firmware to support them, however just because that was a successful avenue for the Jalepeno it obviously isn't for the Monarch.

To my credit I refused work when it would result in a loss for the customer. Why? Because I guess I'm like that.
To your credit indeed.  Seems at least you have some morale standing whereas the clowns at BFL are nearly all but void of it.

Point being though if you think you can sit on your ass and mine and make money you are expecting something for nothing which doesn't happen unless it's luck. If you use your abilities, you can make money but it's from your abilities, not your god-given right to sit on your ass.
I agree, but what do you think 50% of the miners are here for?  They're not here to "support the network" or play with HW because it's fun and they like it.  They're here to make money, and while you and I may recognize that's much easier said then done, that's not the view understood by a good percentage of the users of this board.  You can tell just by reading the thread topics and content.

Thus a BFL/KNC/Whatever can be a good investment, depends on what you do with it. My offer was to get one as a learning tool; maybe I could make other people's miners run faster/better/whatever and help them make profits while making profits myself.
Maybe, but the firmware isn't open source and BFL wasn't kind enough to leave a bunch of unpopulated BGA pads for you to bake chips onto.  That's aside from the fact that you can't even buy BFL's 28nm chip.

Don't get me wrong, I commend your efforts with the Jalepeno, but let's be realistic here.

We'll see.

That we will.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: