Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:15:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt cant make connection to tor  (Read 3155 times)
ajk (OP)
Donator

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 07:56:33 PM

Hi bitcointalk!

Just wanted to see if I could get some light on my situation, as the title states my bitcoin-qt is having trouble connecting to the tor network, Currently running Linux mint 12 Lisa I have a connection to tor through vidalia but my bitcoin qt is not able to connect through tor, all the settings are correct on my bitcoin wallet

Any suggestion as to why my GUI isnt connecting? also I was wondering what the difference between bitcoind and bitcoin-qt are

thanks in advance
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 08:33:58 PM

afaik, you can only use certain ports on tor (like 80, 433, 8080, etc.)

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
ajk (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 08:45:28 PM

thanks for the reply currently my port is set to the tor default which is 9050, if you are referring to the IP/port within the bitcoin client,

Ive had problems like this in the past but never for this amount of time, following what you said should I change my port to one of the ones you have listed?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 08:53:07 PM

thanks for the reply currently my port is set to the tor default which is 9050, if you are referring to the IP/port within the bitcoin client,

Ive had problems like this in the past but never for this amount of time, following what you said should I change my port to one of the ones you have listed?

i meant that tor will only relay tcp traffic on certain ports

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
ajk (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 05:16:59 PM

hey mo

thank you for the reply I have a gut feeling that your answer is on the right track to solving this problem,
I currently am using the tor browser bundle, after following the direction you gave me I have noticed that it is a random port number and not 9050 so with this would I have to insert 9050 in the port for browser bundle or change the bitcoin clients port to the one of the bundles,

Also you say repos but is this another word for synaptic manager? I am fairly new to linux i can manage the basic tasks but some words dont have meaning to me yet and alot of programs I dont fully understand

however your answer is very appreciated thank you for posting up!!!!
ajk (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 01:20:01 AM

Disregard this message thanks buddy it worked like a charm!!!, I appreciate your time and would gladly compensate you for it just let me know a bitcoin address Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: