Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:11:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hardware prospects  (Read 1265 times)
repairguy (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:45:55 AM

The antminer s3 seems like the best deal at the moment as far as w/gh, but none of them seem to be able to break even.  Is there anything I am missing?
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:47:43 AM

The antminer s3 seems like the best deal at the moment as far as w/gh, but none of them seem to be able to break even.  Is there anything I am missing?

Nope. It's a bad time to buy mining hardware.

Buy & Hold
repairguy (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:52:37 AM

any speculation?  Do you think the mfg are bottomed out on margin or do you think they will adjust pricing accordingly?
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:06:16 AM

Manufacturers have come to realize in the last couple months if they want to sell they need to sell at a reasonable price.  Just remember there in it to make money.  Home mining for profit is reaching a near end until more efficient equipment is produced.  Even though paying for Btc isn't quite as fun as mining, for now might be the best course of action.  Large mining farms are destroying the home miners.  2014 should be remembered for this.
repairguy (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:30:21 AM

I understand the mfg are in it for profit, and many have kept a reasonable price.  The difference is now they cannot make as much of a margin per unit.  I am curious if they are selling near their mfg cost or if they have room to go down farther. or perhaps a new product will be necessary to make it more profitable for the home miner.  or if home mining is now completely dead and most mining will be completed by mfg. maybe that was the plan from the beginning, use the sales to build capital and then use the mfg capacity to expand long term mining investment.
Kimowa

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:08:50 AM

Yes you are missing something, the latest batch only ship on september 20th.

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:11:40 AM

I understand the mfg are in it for profit, and many have kept a reasonable price.  The difference is now they cannot make as much of a margin per unit.  I am curious if they are selling near their mfg cost or if they have room to go down farther. or perhaps a new product will be necessary to make it more profitable for the home miner.  or if home mining is now completely dead and most mining will be completed by mfg. maybe that was the plan from the beginning, use the sales to build capital and then use the mfg capacity to expand long term mining investment.

Manufacturers could theoretically give away mining gear for free but with the rising difficulty and the relative inefficiency of the ASICs currently in production, it will be very soon that you won't be able to cover your electricity costs with the BTC earned. In fact, some people with high electric costs have quit already.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 03:34:52 PM

Right now things are not good for individuals to mine, difficulty is rising, btc/usd is down, and the efficiency of mining hardware for $ per th/s isn't that great. The new generation of miners need to come down in price otherwise you would mine at a loss. 
lowbander80
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:17:53 PM

Nope. It's a bad time to buy mining hardware.

When I hear this I remember a friend of mine he always waited to get the fastest computer and he never bought one.
So when is the right time to buy mining equipment I say when you decide it buy the best your pocket can affort
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: