Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:28:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a cool way to present .1btc to someone as a gift?  (Read 3815 times)
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 02:24:02 AM

You cannot actually present someone with a bitcoin or a fraction of it because bitcoins only exist in the blockchain cloud, as a result of the outcomes of previous unspent transactions.
You can only present someone with a private key and corresponding address.
Bitcoins don't exist. They are just balances associated with a bitcoin address in a public ledger.
Still you can teach them to use bitaddress.org for them to create their own paper wallet that only they control and send them your coins with a vanity address.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
PalmerLaura

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

IPSX: Distributed Network Layer

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:49:03 AM

http://www.bit-card.de the best way I think

CoolBliss

Activity: 97

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:00:19 AM

I recently got a friend to create a wallet and give me the address. Then I sent them some btc. Maybe not what you were after, but they thought it was pretty cool.
BiTJack

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:20:15 AM

A wooden wallet or probably a metal wallet like this would be cool but not sure they are sells them anymore.
https://i.imgur.com/mVCyX2K.jpg
logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:33:34 AM

Check this one http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2eq47w/a_week_ago_i_shared_my_physical_bitcoin_design/
proofofarat

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:19:00 AM

Denominate it as 100,000 bits. You can make a paper wallet on almost any surface or media. Be creative. Even on an old money bill.
Or a wood wallet. https://woodwallets.io/
Lots of ways.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:33:39 AM

This person is tech-savvy and libertarian-minded. He's heard of Bitcoin but doesn't know too much about it. Any ideas for a cool way to give .1 as a birthday present other than just a print-out? Not too expensive, obviously  Cheesy
Look on Etsy, there are a few people that can etch a private key on a dog tag.  Put it into a fire safe, and it won't burn nor get water damaged.

For security, I'd only provide a bip-38 password protected QRC.
I don't think it would really be necessary to give someone a wallet that has this level of security. If you give the other person anything that involves them having the private key that you have had access to then they will need to trust that you will not steal/take the bitcoin on the wallet.

I would personally say the best way to present someone with .1 BTC as a gift would be to make some kind of card that says you will give them .1 BTC, then have them give you an addrees to send the BTC to.
Oooh. That sounds nice and simple.
I would still go with the idea of using that BTC to buy the other person a gift. Maybe USD? Or use the btc to buy a present.
I think that would kind of defeat the purpose of specifically using BTC for the gift. Most people that have/own bitcoin also have access to some amount of fiat, and there is no real reason to sell bitcoin for the sole purpose of giving someone else a small amount of fiat.

TimeWatch

Activity: 83

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:37:32 AM

Gift him a paper wallet. He will enjoy using it and will get familiar easily.

Also try gifting Pendrives with that money Smiley
FFrost

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:38:30 AM

Can't you buy a coin which is preloaded with 0.1 btc
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:47:20 AM

This person is tech-savvy and libertarian-minded. He's heard of Bitcoin but doesn't know too much about it. Any ideas for a cool way to give .1 as a birthday present other than just a print-out? Not too expensive, obviously  Cheesy
Look on Etsy, there are a few people that can etch a private key on a dog tag.  Put it into a fire safe, and it won't burn nor get water damaged.

For security, I'd only provide a bip-38 password protected QRC.
I don't think it would really be necessary to give someone a wallet that has this level of security. If you give the other person anything that involves them having the private key that you have had access to then they will need to trust that you will not steal/take the bitcoin on the wallet.

I would personally say the best way to present someone with .1 BTC as a gift would be to make some kind of card that says you will give them .1 BTC, then have them give you an addrees to send the BTC to.
Oooh. That sounds nice and simple.
I would still go with the idea of using that BTC to buy the other person a gift. Maybe USD? Or use the btc to buy a present.
I also think this is the best response on this thread. This would enable you to get one additional person involved/interested in bitcoin while preventing them from compromising security.
nextblast

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:58:18 PM

A physical coin is always good.
Wealthy

Activity: 92

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:45:19 PM

I suggest gifting him portable hard disk, you can easily get 1 TB at that price.

Laptop skins and a decent keyboard are good suggestions too.
catena5260

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:05:34 PM

Paper wallet with some good artwork on the paper?

Guess it might be the best and maybe the cheapest, even though good artists might be expensive too, so don't know.

Maybe a physical wallet too?
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:02:10 PM

I think the best way would be some nice-looking paper wallet! With a nice decoration, pattern, or even some personal touch to it (a photo or message!?)! Laminate that thing and it becomes a nice and valuable gift! Or go and see if you can get your hands on some Casascius coins!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Hasher99

Activity: 66

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 06:52:43 PM

Make a paper wallet and give it to him as a gift card.No other way would be more impressive rather than this IMO
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: