Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:57:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Dilemma: Can the Internet be shutdown?  (Read 5764 times)
Overman (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:02:02 AM

If Bitcoin could feasibly be made inaccessible through the shutdown of the Internet, then its value is limited. Otherwise, it should be immortal.

What does the future likely hold for Bitcoin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marked

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:11:12 AM

If the internet is shutdown there are more fundamental problems than the utility of bitcoin.

marked
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:11:59 AM

Ask this guy:
Nicotinefreek

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:24:10 AM

If the internet is shutdown there are more fundamental problems than the utility of bitcoin.

marked

Yea that is a light way to put it. Nowadays it is hard to imagine a world without internet, those images are reserved for nightmares lol
ThePanCakeKid95

Activity: 418
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 03:55:05 AM

All I can say is if the internet goes, my life is over lol Tongue Its like saying if the United States fails, wouldn't the USD be worthless ?
Nicotinefreek

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 04:15:01 AM

Yea I would see a boring future ahead if there was no internet. But then again people did it before, we could do it again lol
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 05:19:32 AM

Yea I would see a boring future ahead if there was no internet. But then again people did it before, we could do it again lol

Not really. Once you grow into a place having it scorched doesn't put you back were you are, it puts you fucked.

Obv some people will make it, but 'we' will be fucked.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 06:25:43 AM

Consider the attempt last year for the government of Egypt to block cross-border Internet traffic.   Sites like gmail, Youtube and CNN even were not accessible by those within Egypt.  But the traffic within the country was still functional.  Eventually the bitcoin client would find peers within the country (or helped a bit by manually specifying which peers to connect to) so all that needs to happen is for one of those nodes to connect to the rest of the internet for the blockchain to be kept current.  That could occur over dialup if nothing else.

There are other ways the Internet could survive if disruptions to massive subcomponents were to occur (e.g., if consumer access providers were to block all traffic, for instance).  Metro-wide networks built using mesh networking technologies with inter-city peering links could some day make reliance on the existing Internet infrastructure.  You wouldn't get Facebook but you could still route e-mail, transfer data files and transact using bitcoin.

Here's one approach for a quick-deploy emergency internet:
 - http://wiki.hacdc.org/index.php/Byzantium#Project_Goals

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

marked

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 10:10:10 AM

All I can say is if the internet goes, my life is over lol Tongue Its like saying if the United States fails, wouldn't the USD be worthless ?

depends on how many trillions are stored in Iraqi and Chinese warehouses by the container load.

marked
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 11:03:42 AM

I can picture it now in bookstores: "The Bitcoin Dilemma: How a specific paypal alternative for moonlighting libertarians will lose value of the Internet stops existing." thanks for the sig quote bro
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 11:06:29 AM

Maybe one day we will have an internet where you can only use APPS from legit stores/marketplaces. Any unofficial APP won't work.

After all, even today good luck for ifail user to get the bitcoin client APP, it keep getting removed from the APPstore and they have to jailbreak and get the korean one.

Do you remember good old days when you just downloaded and installed the software?

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 11:07:18 AM

I love trolls.
wlofgen

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 01:05:12 PM

Metro-wide networks built using mesh networking technologies with inter-city peering links could some day make reliance on the existing Internet infrastructure.  You wouldn't get Facebook but you could still route e-mail, transfer data files and transact using bitcoin.

This is something I wouldn't be surprised to see within the next twenty years if net-legislation continues down the path it's on.

I'm unsure whether I see that as a bad thing or a good thing.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 01:07:55 PM

This thread smells like Atlas.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 01:20:25 PM

eh WB Mat Tongue
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 01:53:01 PM

Yeah, runny baby shit and punk bitch tears, that's the odor.

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:11:53 PM

If the Internet is brought down as a whole on a temporary fashion, Bitcoin will just pick up right were it left off upon the reformation of the network.  There is only one way to stop the Internet long term, and that's a global nuclear war.  If that happens, your gold is worthless too.

Bullets, maybe not.

That said, even the compete destruction of the Internet does not necessarily result in the breakdown of the Bitcoin network, although it would certainly disrupt it.  If two bitcoin clients survive, and can establish a direct link to each other, then Bitcoin survives.  Many copies keep data safe, and bitcoin takes that method to an extreme.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:16:16 PM

Metro-wide networks built using mesh networking technologies with inter-city peering links could some day make reliance on the existing Internet infrastructure.  You wouldn't get Facebook but you could still route e-mail, transfer data files and transact using bitcoin.

This is something I wouldn't be surprised to see within the next twenty years if net-legislation continues down the path it's on.

This is something that I expect to see in the next five years regardless.  It's already being done in many cities.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:18:06 PM

As i said, what i fear is that the internet change and become like current smartphones, with only approved APP given on approved STORE

Or, a lot of places where you have to register accept facebook profile instead of registering a new account, next step will be accept ONLY facebook profiles.

So the internet freedom become a small niche of us nerds instead of now

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 02:48:36 PM

As i said, what i fear is that the internet change and become like current smartphones, with only approved APP given on approved STORE

Or, a lot of places where you have to register accept facebook profile instead of registering a new account, next step will be accept ONLY facebook profiles.

So the internet freedom become a small niche of us nerds instead of now

Such fears are based upon a fundamental lack of understanding about what the Internet actually is

And as for smartphones, ever heard of 'rooting'?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: