Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:28:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC newb - advices  (Read 1235 times)
haploid23 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 11:02:40 AM

I started out on this forum in 2011 as a GPU miner back in the HD5000 era. Took a break when FPGA's came out, the started again last year for scrypt GPU mining until it became obsolete. Now I want to look into ASICs for direct BTC mining again, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I know absolutely nothing now.

The playing field has completely changed and there's too many different threads to look at. Can someone give some general advice, or point me to where I should start reading? I just bought 2 used Antminer S1 so I can learn through experience before I buy some newer released ones.

The next two I've narrowed down to will be either the antminer S3 or AM tubes. I'm a bit turned off by the tube at the moment because it seems finicky and can only mine on one pool. Any other home miners I should consider?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:23:47 PM

I started out on this forum in 2011 as a GPU miner back in the HD5000 era. Took a break when FPGA's came out, the started again last year for scrypt GPU mining until it became obsolete. Now I want to look into ASICs for direct BTC mining again, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I know absolutely nothing now.

The playing field has completely changed and there's too many different threads to look at. Can someone give some general advice, or point me to where I should start reading? I just bought 2 used Antminer S1 so I can learn through experience before I buy some newer released ones.

The next two I've narrowed down to will be either the antminer S3 or AM tubes. I'm a bit turned off by the tube at the moment because it seems finicky and can only mine on one pool. Any other home miners I should consider?

For cheap home miners, that's basically it. They're like the best ones in the market right now.
You might consider the Spoondolies 30, (I have no idea how it's spelt), it seems to be very good and power efficient, but I think it's on preorder and it's expensive.
haploid23 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 12:53:06 AM

You might consider the Spoondolies 30, (I have no idea how it's spelt), it seems to be very good and power efficient, but I think it's on preorder and it's expensive.

Thanks for comments. I'm not really looking for newest, latest stuff, as the cost ratio is probably high. I get pretty cheap electricity, so I'm looking at the best hash/price just to get back into the mining aspect first.

I guess the rest my questions were to general, so pointing me to any guides to start would be great.

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 12:54:38 AM

Thanks for comments. I'm not really looking for newest, latest stuff, as the cost ratio is probably high. I get pretty cheap electricity, so I'm looking at the best hash/price just to get back into the mining aspect first.

I guess the rest my questions were to general, so pointing me to any guides to start would be great.

It would be great if you told me how "cheap" your electricity is.
You could buy a few S1s and undervolt them, to get best power efficiency.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: