Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 05:54:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Russians hack JP Morgan Chase banks, steal gigabytes of databases  (Read 6529 times)
iluvpie60 (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:35:42 PM

Good morning!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-27/fbi-said-to-be-probing-whether-russia-tied-to-jpmorgan-hacking.html

"Russian hackers attacked the U.S. financial system in mid-August, infiltrating and stealing data from JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) and at least one other bank, an incident the FBI is investigating as a possible retaliation for government-sponsored sanctions, according to two people familiar with the probe.

The attack resulted in the loss of gigabytes of sensitive data, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the probe is still preliminary. Authorities are investigating whether recent infiltrations of major European banks using a similar vulnerability are also linked to the attack, one of the people said.
"

According to this report, Russians have been attacking and hacking American banks. We all know every country has hackers that work for the government, thanks to Snowden we know, and that they do target banks and businesses in other countries.

As more and more companies are hacked using exploits and security loopholes in security software, it just makes me see more and more that Bitcoin is going to be needed at some level(or some other type of encrypted type of currency). If Bitcoin still isn't used as an everyday type of currency where people spend it on everyday purchases, then maybe, just maybe it can be used on securing wealth storage on a large scale safely. Obviously exchanges get hacked and so do banks.  But what if the US government stored 10% of all US wealth in Bitcoin or something else? Something that is secure and at this point almost impossible to hack cold storage type of thing. I say almost impossible because there is always a chance, even though it might be a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000001% chance of getting the exact details for a random cold wallet.

How should governments take advantage of the benefits of Bitcoin?
iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:38:47 PM

Fixed the title sorry for that!

reserved for future post if needed.
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 12:42:22 PM

Your post comes off as very biased, it can be argued that banks are getting hacked because of technology, BTC is a technology therefore implying the same can happen but more effectively as we wouldn't only be losing information....

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:43:50 PM

Your post comes off as very biased, it can be argued that banks are getting hacked because of technology, BTC is a technology therefore implying the same can happen but more effectively as we wouldn't only be losing information....
Yes, and I bet you there are have been far more bitcoin-related hacks where bitcoins were lost, than hacks at banks.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
finlof

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:52:01 PM

Good morning!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-27/fbi-said-to-be-probing-whether-russia-tied-to-jpmorgan-hacking.html

"Russian hackers attacked the U.S. financial system in mid-August, infiltrating and stealing data from JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) and at least one other bank, an incident the FBI is investigating as a possible retaliation for government-sponsored sanctions, according to two people familiar with the probe.

The attack resulted in the loss of gigabytes of sensitive data, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the probe is still preliminary. Authorities are investigating whether recent infiltrations of major European banks using a similar vulnerability are also linked to the attack, one of the people said.
"

According to this report, Russians have been attacking and hacking American banks. We all know every country has hackers that work for the government, thanks to Snowden we know, and that they do target banks and businesses in other countries.

As more and more companies are hacked using exploits and security loopholes in security software, it just makes me see more and more that Bitcoin is going to be needed at some level(or some other type of encrypted type of currency). If Bitcoin still isn't used as an everyday type of currency where people spend it on everyday purchases, then maybe, just maybe it can be used on securing wealth storage on a large scale safely. Obviously exchanges get hacked and so do banks.  But what if the US government stored 10% of all US wealth in Bitcoin or something else? Something that is secure and at this point almost impossible to hack cold storage type of thing. I say almost impossible because there is always a chance, even though it might be a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000001% chance of getting the exact details for a random cold wallet.

how do you propose the US storing 10% of all US wealth in Bitcoin?  do you even know how many bitcoin that would require at current value?
iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:20:02 PM

Good morning!

"

how do you propose the US storing 10% of all US wealth in Bitcoin?  do you even know how many bitcoin that would require at current value?

The sheer buying power that a government can throw behind buying up Bitcoins or altcoins to store some wealth would 1.) Legitimize Bitcoin to the highest level it has ever been at and 2.) Drive the price up due intense buying pressure(if done all at once) and 3.) The pure fact that an announcement would be made in advance because a bill would most likely need to be signed for authorization to buy BTC would also give major credence to it.

You are a hero member and I am a senior member and should know I am obviously not advocating current value.
Datcracktho

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:22:51 PM

Aww shit, should have used Bitcoin Mr Morgan.
iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:24:38 PM

I legitimately have no idea what you are saying. Sorry, I can't understand it. Is English your primary language?

I am not sure why you are saying my post is biased, of course it is, it is advocating bitcoin, so I am biased towards bitcoin, why are you pointing out something obvious?

Obviously banks are getting hacked because of technology... If they had no technology they couldn't be hacked, only physically robbed or check fraud...

murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:25:19 PM

Aww shit, should have used Bitcoin Mr Morgan.

Why?
The issue is loss of data, not of money.
How would it have made a blind bit of difference?

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:31:25 PM

Yes, and I bet you there are have been far more bitcoin-related hacks where bitcoins were lost, than hacks at banks.

We don't really know how often banks are hacked, but they sure as hell spend a lot more on security and are usually larger companies compared to places where bitcoins are hacked from. Someone using some 3rd party server and they have 1 coder to protect an exchange is way different than JP Morgan Chase getting hacked.

Mtgox was the biggest and had like 15 employees and they lost 700k bitcoins due to incompetence or lying or stealign it themselves or whatever.

JP Morgan Chase being hacked and having tons of data stolen is a big deal, it might not be straight money, but information sells well and there could be info in there that can be used for identity theft and all sorts of things. Obviously some hackers are not going to steal something for no monetary gain.
DoraTheBTCexplorer

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 04:11:09 PM

I wonder what the equivalent in BTC that would be
unpure

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:10:08 PM

Hackers with good hacking skills will hack financial data regardless if they are Russian or not.

They are motivated by money and not politic.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:23:19 PM

This isn't even about losing money. It's an attack of one government against another. If a government decided to attack Bitcoin we'd be fucked.

They then plowed through layers of elaborate security to steal the data, a feat security experts said appeared far beyond the capability of ordinary criminal hackers. The incidents occurred at a low point in relations between Russia and the West. Russian troops continue to mass on the Ukrainian border and the West tightens sanctions aimed at crippling Russian companies, including some of the country’s most important banks

In at least one of the attacks, the hackers grabbed sensitive data from the files of bank employees, including executives, according to a fourth person briefed on the probe, who, like the other individuals with knowledge of the matter, declined to divulge the name of victims other than JPMorgan. Some data related to customers may also have been accessed

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4533

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 05:53:49 PM

wrong
i guess you have not known about the 200 years of pick pocketting.
i guess you have not known about the 200 years of bank heists.
i guess you have not known about the decade of card cloning.
i guess you have not known about the years of chargeback scamming.

good luck adding up all the FIAT theft

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:04:06 PM

wrong

You seem to have misread the original post.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 12:57:22 PM

I heard that the Russians hacked J P Morgans nose - it was a personal attack and nothing to do with the Bank.

since the nose separated from J P Morgans body and became the ruler of the world, its not under corporate jurisdiction.

this was pretty brazen from the evil Russian hackers, we need to find the evil doers and bring them to justice   

HAIL THE NOSE !

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 01:03:40 PM

ONE THING I KNOW !

IF BANKS GET HACKED AND LOSE ALL DEPOSITS AND PEOPLE LOSE THEIR LIFE SAVINGS

WE KNOW WHO WILL HAVE DONE IT !!!!

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 02:13:53 PM

Too bad, I was just thinking of using their service.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:23:18 PM

wrong

Wrong. We are talking about today, the Internet, and internet-related hacks.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 03:14:04 PM

where is the evidence that it was russia? its called "propaganda"

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: