Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:43:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple Vanity Address Generator [v0.4]  (Read 17999 times)
Nyhm (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 12:35:22 AM

Quote from: Red Emerald
Quote from: Nyhm
I noticed that someone wanted case-sensitive vanity address searching. My vanity address applet now (v0.2) has such an option. It's really slow, as I'm just experimenting. Here's the bitcointalk topic.

(Notice that I specifically reference Vanitygen as a much more capable generator, so I'm not trying to steal any thunder from this mighty thread. Please leave any feedback regarding my applet on the other thread.)
case sensitive is slower than case insensitive? That sounds backwards.  Do you just mean that case sensitive has a higher difficulty? Or do you mean the app is just slow in general?

Yes, I mean that case sensitive is harder than insensitive. I see how my wording was ambiguous. I think the web page explains it better. The reason is because it's harder to find an exact match (case sensitive). Also, in addition, the applet is wicked slow.

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:27:26 AM

I'm currently searching for an address beginning with 'scott' @71 keys/second.

How long (roughly) could I be waiting for??  Cheesy
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 09:57:07 AM

I'm currently searching for an address beginning with 'scott' @71 keys/second.

How long (roughly) could I be waiting for??  Cheesy
I plugged this into my vanitygen and checked: 1scott

You have a 50% chance in 38 minutes at 4.61 MKeys/s
(I didn't disable my mining so it didn't run as fast as it can, 20 MKeys/s)

So doing some math that's about 4610000/71*38 minutes or 28.5 days.
And that's 50% chance.

If you want a name you can post a public key generated on bitaddress.org (save the private key!). I can use that to generate your name in 10 minutes and send you the "partial private key" which you can combine with your private key and have a secure vanity address. I'm only offering because I'm interested in trying out this new feature (third party keys) in vanitygen.

Scott J
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:01:52 AM

Okay, thank you.

I'm not entirely sure of how this works, so you may have to explain to me as we go along  Smiley

Here's the public key I've just generated: 1hueY3mDiCcof3QSeFmBk7VSHnnyXp1hJ

I have made a note of the private key.

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:41:52 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2012, 12:01:35 PM by BkkCoins

Okay, thank you.

I'm not entirely sure of how this works, so you may have to explain to me as we go along  Smiley

Actually the address is not the same as the public key. (The address is a hash of the public key.) You'll need to return to bitaddress and paste the private key into the wallet details tab and look at the details. It will give you a public key that is 130 chars long (the third value down).

After I posted my suggestion I realized that in order to combine the partial private key with your private key you'd need to get the keyconv utility from the vanitygen binaries zip file here,

https://github.com/samr7/vanitygen/downloads     (get v0.19 not the older 0.18)

But then if you get that then why not just run the vanitygen program yourself...
To my knowledge there isn't an online way to combine keys yet. So if you still want to do this I'm game but it may not offer much benefit unless on your system vanitygen takes many days to run. In  which case this will still save you lots of time.

Scott J
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 12:18:12 PM

Okay, thank you.

I'm not entirely sure of how this works, so you may have to explain to me as we go along  Smiley

Actually the address is not the same as the public key. (The address is a hash of the public key.) You'll need to return to bitaddress and paste the private key into the wallet details tab and look at the details. It will give you a public key that is 130 chars long (the third value down).

After I posted my suggestion I realized that in order to combine the partial private key with your private key you'd need to get the keyconv utility from the vanitygen binaries zip file here,

https://github.com/samr7/vanitygen/downloads     (get v0.19 not the older 0.18)

But then if you get that then why not just run the vanitygen program yourself...
To my knowledge there isn't an online way to combine keys yet. So if you still want to do this I'm game but it may not offer much benefit unless on your system vanitygen takes many days to run. In  which case this will still save you lots of time.
Thanks for your offer of help on this.

All things considered, I think I will spend the time getting vanitygen to work - that way I can generate as many as I like Smiley
Nyhm (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 02:21:16 PM

Scott - now you see why I created my Java vanity application (this thread) - simplicity. It's not fast, but it's easy to use!

Generating vanity addresses is a random process. I've hit "hard" addresses in minutes, or in hours. Other generators are certainly faster than my application, but mine is simpler, especially if you're not a Bitcoin guru (yet).

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
Scott J
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:36:20 PM

I can definitely see why you've created this app  Grin

I've half-heartedly tried to get vanitygen to work, but gave up!

I think I'll just be patient Smiley
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 03:58:01 PM

It shouldn't be hard. Assuming on Windows, you unzip the binaries zip file.
Then open a command prompt (Start, Run, "cmd") and change to the correct directory.
Then type the command,

vanitygen 1scott

it should output some stats info and show you a percent progress value as it scans.

You can also do this by double-clicking an icon but you would have to make a shortcut to the exe file and set it so it opens a cmd shell.

I'm on Linux so I'm just saying this from memory (of years ago).

Anyway, offer still stands if you want to send me the public key.

Scott J
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:16:09 PM

Then open a command prompt (Start, Run, "cmd") and change to the correct directory.
Then type the command,

vanitygen 1scott

it should output some stats info and show you a percent progress value as it scans.

You can also do this by double-clicking an icon but you would have to make a shortcut to the exe file and set it so it opens a cmd shell.

I'm on Linux so I'm just saying this from memory (of years ago).

Anyway, offer still stands if you want to send me the public key.
Amazing, I have it working Cheesy

I was just clicking the .exe files after I downloaded them; I had no idea I had to go through the command prompt.

I'm getting over 600 keys/second and it says 50% chance in 4.3 hours Smiley

Thanks for your help with this.

Nyhm (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 04:30:40 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2012, 02:32:14 AM by Nyhm

BkkCoins plays hard-ball. A lot of folks would probably be angry at a "competitor" hijacking users from their thread, but I'm all for community participation. The take-away is that what many developers think is user-friendly is still way off base from actual normal users:

Quote from: BkkCoins
Then type the command,...
Actually the address is not the same as the public key. (The address is a hash of the public key.) You'll need to return to bitaddress and paste the private key into the wallet details tab and look at the details. It will give you a public key that is 130 chars long (the third value down). After I posted my suggestion I realized that in order to combine the partial private key with your private key you'd need to get the keyconv utility from the vanitygen binaries zip file here, ...

Yipes (and I'm a developer). Nonetheless, I'm glad you got vanitygen working for you Scott J!

The next release of my Simple Vanity app (as well as my simple VanillaWallet) will include a Windows exe (and Mac app bundle) to make it even easier to launch. Maybe someday I can even include GPU support to make it as fast as vanitygen.

This was a fun discussion! I'm always happy to have folks try my software.

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:37:17 PM

Runs kinda slow Sad

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Nyhm (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 07:00:56 PM

Runs kinda slow Sad

Hi Mr. Mantis. Yes, it certainly does! Please refer to the OP, and the discussion, and the text on the site for clarification. As I write this, I'm trying to generate a new 4-character address and it's taking HOURS (usually only minutes for such short words).

My first goals were to make it simple and make it work. It is possible to make it faster (and remain simple), but I can't really spend the time right now... Unless there is someone interested in sponsoring (BTC) further development...

I appreciate you trying it out!

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

Runs kinda slow Sad

Hi Mr. Mantis. Yes, it certainly does! Please refer to the OP, and the discussion, and the text on the site for clarification. As I write this, I'm trying to generate a new 4-character address and it's taking HOURS (usually only minutes for such short words).

My first goals were to make it simple and make it work. It is possible to make it faster (and remain simple), but I can't really spend the time right now... Unless there is someone interested in sponsoring (BTC) further development...

I appreciate you trying it out!

Just bought you a coffee.

fd4590eec8d9608a6d0f3dc4f03324cb37c0f5956c7d1a6714ab7a5054bbe383

Keep up the good work and don't mind the troll Smiley

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Nyhm (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 08:21:06 PM

Just bought you a coffee.

fd4590eec8d9608a6d0f3dc4f03324cb37c0f5956c7d1a6714ab7a5054bbe383

Keep up the good work and don't mind the troll Smiley

Hurray! I'm still giddy whenever any coin comes in! Every bit is much appreciated, and thank you for your encouraging words.

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:15:46 PM

Sorry for the hijack.
Just trying to help someone out who was going to have to run for 28 days Smiley
Note,
- I'm not the dev for vanitygen, just some random user.
- I don't have any stake in whatever program people use.
- vanitygen is the program that runs on CPUs.
- oclvanitygen is a companion one that uses GPUs.
- this thread was months old, even dead, so I didn't think it much harm to help a user with his question

Scott J
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:42:42 PM

Just to round this off, I have found the address. I almost got to 75% probability!

Here it is: 1scottoVnKhtbLDDZwxTaEaYTzKGj4cRK

Thanks Nyhm and BkkCoins for your service and helpful posts.

Nyhm (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 02:29:34 AM

Sorry for the hijack.
Just trying to help someone out who was going to have to run for 28 days Smiley
Note,
- I'm not the dev for vanitygen, just some random user.
- I don't have any stake in whatever program people use.
- vanitygen is the program that runs on CPUs.
- oclvanitygen is a companion one that uses GPUs.
- this thread was months old, even dead, so I didn't think it much harm to help a user with his question

For real, I'm not disgruntled. Your points are entirely valid. My apologies if I came off as aggressive in my retort; I blame it on being overworked and under/not paid. I learned a thing or two from the discussion, and my original intent behind my generator was to experiment and learn about Bitcoin. I even refer people to Vanitygen in my OP! Ugh, I need more sleep (and less coffee). Sorry.

The downside is that I'm envious of how fast vanitygen is. I've been cranking on a 5-letter word for hours now with my code.

Scott - I'm very glad you found your vanity address! Sorry you got tossed and turned a bit in the process.

Scott J
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:05:25 PM

Thanks to whoever sent .05 BTC to my address - I assume it was one of you guys  Smiley
Nyhm (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:59:53 PM

Thanks to whoever sent .05 BTC to my address - I assume it was one of you guys  Smiley

Thought you'd like to know if your new address was fully functional! Share and enjoy.

PS: Coincidence or Karma? The exchange rate of BTC is up right now, and I was about to use fastcash4bitcoins.com to cash out what meager coin I have (as much as I like bitcoins, I also like groceries). I was 0.05 short of the minimum. Please understand, I'm not asking for anything. I was testy yesterday and this is the penance. I'm into Bitcoin for the long haul, so there will be other days.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: