Bitcoin Forum
August 09, 2024, 05:21:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracing the chain  (Read 1118 times)
subwoofer12 (OP)

Activity: 251
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:00:10 PM

Does anyone know of a website that shows how two addresses are linked together?

Basically, I'm looking for a tool where you enter both the sending and receiving address and be able to visually see what addresses the coins have passed through. Kind of like the tree charts at Blockchain.info
https://blockchain.info/tree/63317529
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:49:48 AM

Basically, I'm looking for a tool where you enter both the sending and receiving address and be able to visually see what addresses the coins have passed through. Kind of like the tree charts at Blockchain.info

This is actually a well sought after feature. I asked about it in January probably. There is no such tool available for this AFAIK. I guess, anyone who runs a block explorer, may introduce this feature and his/her service will receive great PR.

freedombit

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:45:27 AM

Good idea.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 267

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:35:08 AM

Due to the fungibility of bitcoin, linking two addresses is computationally difficult and the result could be too large to be useful.

For example, what if SatoshiDice is in the path? You could end up connecting to all their users.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:01:38 AM

Due to the fungibility of bitcoin, linking two addresses is computationally difficult and the result could be too large to be useful.

For example, what if SatoshiDice is in the path? You could end up connecting to all their users.

Not if filters are installed.

I asked about this very same thing over a year ago. It seems like it's something easy to built, but perhaps it's not to somebody(s) best interest to have such readily available due to how the tool would be used, and boy would I use the shit outta it.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 08:03:12 AM

I am still searching for the answer, no luck.

montello

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:24:03 AM

This would really be useful if developed but don't think there is anything like that for now to the best of my konwledge.

hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 267

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:54:50 AM

Not if filters are installed.

I asked about this very same thing over a year ago. It seems like it's something easy to built, but perhaps it's not to somebody(s) best interest to have such readily available due to how the tool would be used, and boy would I use the shit outta it.

You need to be more specific in your description of a solution. Many of the problems related to graphs are NP-complete even when they appear easy to describe. It seems to me that a variation of the A* algorithm could work but considering the size of the graph (millions of nodes) and the difficult choice of a distance to target heuristic, it still looks difficult. Maybe that's why it's not implemented.

BitsBitsBits

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:57:56 AM

Sounds like a good idea, but mixing services will make this obsolete and people won't be able to trace those coins. But for other stuff it is a good idea and I'm sure many will find use for it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — The real dice experience | Provably Fair | Free BTC Faucet ⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
The00Dustin

Activity: 807
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:27:18 AM

It's too bad no one reads threads before they reply anymore, it's getting to the point where reading a thread is as bad or worse than actually listening to a broken record for real.  That having been said, what do you think there is to gain out of such a service?  A service that shows a chain from a starting address to an ending address if one exists would not be useful for anything other than entertainment.  As mentioned by previous posters, mixing services and things like satoshidice that have the same side effect as a mixing service mean that just because the starting and ending address had coins in the same place somewhere in between does not mean they are truly linked in any way.  Moreover, even if they were truly linked (with no mixed/questionable route transactions between them), there could be unidentified or unidentifiable middle-men who could be leaving the link completely meaningless.  As such, a service like this wouldn't prove anything.  OTOH, if you chose a starting address OR an ending address (perhaps going back x blocks or transactions from before the ending address), then you would get the huge mess other posters are talking about, which would also likely be useless, but perhaps more entertaining.
BitcoinBadger

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:33:39 AM

I don't see what's the use of it..unless you are in need of amusement..
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 12:58:36 PM

I don't see what's the use of it..unless you are in need of amusement..
I think it is userfull to track where their Bitcoin is going and coming from. We can use this function to track stolen balance as well.

Mightycoin

Activity: 82

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:08:03 PM

It is far more difficult that we think,the deeper insights are more not easily viable
aboo

Activity: 188

First decentralized MLM system based on Blockchain

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:14:19 PM

Agreed this would be incredibly complex. The block chain is transparent but very complicated and difficult to follow.

If a tool were able to do what you are asking it would be very valuable indeed.

Wealthy

Activity: 92

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:30:00 PM

Why whould you even need such info? And it will be useless to other than to amuse yourself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: