Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:53:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe but anonymous exchange ?  (Read 1792 times)
Joerii (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 08:19:30 PM

I like to keep my BTC away from the taxman. That means I won't use my real name in connection with my BTC anywhere.
It is, however, very hard these days to trade BTC - USD without providing proof of identity.

Solutions ?

I now use BTC-E but that place is so shady, I can totally see it simply go offline and disapear one of these days. They have 0 accountability.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
transient858

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:26:53 PM

Try btc-e or bitfinex.

If you are not trying to withdraw cash directly, they will let you use their platform without any form of ID.
BitcoinXio

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 08:41:00 PM

It's tough. We've been pouring through bitcoin exchanges on the market and probably 99% require bank and identity information. Unfortunately, it looks like BTC-e is it for anonymity now, and possibly Coinffeine too (they are pretty new and not yet launched).

cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:43:07 PM

just do it cash through localbitcoins.com or next best bitstamp
MoonRise

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 03:33:57 AM

I like to keep my BTC away from the taxman. That means I won't use my real name in connection with my BTC anywhere.
It is, however, very hard these days to trade BTC - USD without providing proof of identity.

Solutions ?

I now use BTC-E but that place is so shady, I can totally see it simply go offline and disapear one of these days. They have 0 accountability.

Yeah they might disappear as well some days in near future as the most gigantic one had already did(MTGOX),keeping your money is someone else's hand is never a good play
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:12:06 AM

Why the hate on BTC-E? As far as coding and trade engine, BTC-E is far superior to the other western exchanges. I can't comment on the Chinese exchanges in that regard. But whenever I've seen scam accusations arise, they've always been resolved. They've honored executed trades in flash crashes when Bitfinex has favored longs and lenders by rolling back trades and clawing back traders' profits. And to be fair, they've been around forever. They were hacked back in the day, paid out in full and from the looks of things, learned from it. I am thinking of getting in on PAMM as well.

To be clear, I don't think any of the exchanges are trustworthy. But your choices are BTC-E and Bitfinex (assuming you aren't wiring fiat).

I've heard Okcoin is possible as well, as in, they ask for ID/Passport #, but do not require scan. So in theory, you could give them fake information. However, this is probably a bad idea if their SMS system falters -- which it has for some -- in which case, to get back into your account, you must then provide a scan. So....best be careful with that one.
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:51:07 AM

Localbitcoin may be your only option. "Know your customer" it's a must for every exchange if they don't want to risk being prosecuted for money laundering.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:57:45 PM

If you are exchanging between cryptos then about any exchange will be anonymous in terms of not being forced to give out real life details. Now if you want FIAT for BTC or viceversa they will force you to show ID most of the time which is shit. You are better off meeting a real person in Localbitcoins.

Joerii (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 05:30:35 PM

Local bitcoins is a good idea guys, but not very useful if you see a crash incoming and want to quickly move into fiat until it blows over. Bitfinix could be an idea... what juristiction do they fall under ?

Why the hate on BTC-E?

Oh, there's no hate.

What there is though, is distrust. Very few people know who are behind that exchange. ( they hide behind many layers of shell companies ) The only thing stopping them from running away with everyone's coins and fiat is the fact that they are making plenty of money. But what if they get tired of it or they get hacked ? Since they can't be traced, they can just do whatever they want. I feel very uncomfortable leaving thousands of my dollars in their hands.

oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:49:09 PM

If you really wish to keep anonymous and not have to prove who you are then I would use localbitcoins.com. I would be very careful who you deal with though and be sure that you know who you are dealing with before completing the deal.
Joerii (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 06:27:38 PM

If you really wish to keep anonymous and not have to prove who you are then I would use localbitcoins.com. I would be very careful who you deal with though and be sure that you know who you are dealing with before completing the deal.

I get the feeling people are only reading the OP and replying to that instead of reading the whole thread.

Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:51:35 PM

I can't see how one could put money on exchanges without providing false ID data along the way.
Maybe using pre paid credit card if you can fuel them without providing ID detais? Just don't know if there is any exchange that accepts credit cards.
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 06:48:47 AM

Why the hate on BTC-E?

Oh, there's no hate.

What there is though, is distrust. Very few people know who are behind that exchange. ( they hide behind many layers of shell companies ) The only thing stopping them from running away with everyone's coins and fiat is the fact that they are making plenty of money. But what if they get tired of it or they get hacked ? Since they can't be traced, they can just do whatever they want. I feel very uncomfortable leaving thousands of my dollars in their hands.

Indeed, I don't trust any of the exchanges. However, if you want to time your buy, or trade generally, it's the only option. As far as exchanges and bitcoin businesses generally go, it's still the wild west. I don't feel any safer on Bitfinex or Bitstamp, or Okcoin. What worries me most is the possibility of security lapses, and the impossibility of recovering bitcoins once held in their possession. That means spreading my risk out across several exchanges.

Remember, we all knew who operated Gox -- and that didn't do us much good. Most of the coins are gone, and the rest will likely be liquidated to pay creditors after years of court costs....
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:37:10 AM

You really arent going to beat bitfinex or BTC-e in this category imo. I have used both for over 1 year and never had a problem which wasnt resolved.   However there are risks, you hear bad things its hard to judge the validity of whats spoke about on these forums.   BTC-e & Bitfinex make all their decisions on optimizing profit which can sometimes conflict with the needs of 1 individual.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 10:47:37 AM

bitfinex fits the bill, I think. KYC seems to be minimal.
Cryptsy used to be good as well but hearing standards may be slipping

ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 10:49:26 AM

Solutions ?

Well, you said it yourself, BTC-e is being said to be quite shade, no one really knows where they're located and who they are. There have also been reports of funds going missing. If that's true, no one knows. Ummm, I think that's exactly the tradeoff you have to make, either be safe and use a legit exchange, or remain anonymous and wander through the grey areas of Bitcoin exchanges!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
TrailingComet

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:01:14 PM

Bitfinex is pretty good on privacy, I don't really use any other exchange. Localbitcoins aside.

altseeker

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:15:26 PM

Localbitcoins still the best out there when it comes to anonymous bitcoin transactions. Just make sure the person you are dealing with is reputable.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:39:16 PM

My issue with local bitcoins is that it can take a pretty long time to accumulate a position
And most sellers are trying to extract a stiff above market price
I suppose anonymity has a price

ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 04:15:06 PM

My issue with local bitcoins is that it can take a pretty long time to accumulate a position
And most sellers are trying to extract a stiff above market price
I suppose anonymity has a price

It also is a rather slow way of trading bitcoin. It is only suitable for people who wish to sell/buy once, but it just isn't fast enough if you want to trade or even daytrade bitcoin! It's also quite a hassle to actually conduct the meeting, which also takes some time! That's the premium you have to pay!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: