Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:45:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Drugs are Bad for You  (Read 3049 times)
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 06:24:01 PM

I would prefer no form of drug/stimulants were in my system at all. Not worth it.

Not even coffee or tea?
Coffee alone is nutritious, while coffee with milk is harmful. Wink It's a chemistry thing.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 07:21:02 PM

...And I try to avoid meds when I'm sick as I prefer waiting it out.

I think this helps your defenses strengthen themselves. I try to never take pills for this reason, but does anybody know whether the the effect of vitamins is the same?

The only thing known for sure is that vitamins make for expensive piss. If you are a vegan or otherwise eat a strange diet, taking certain vitamin supplements may be useful, other than that any positive or negative effect they have is very small if there at all. Well, there is probably a nice placebo effect.

That said, most of these studies are done with regards to multivitamins. This is due to practical reasons, but is not the best way to find stuff out. It is possible that the benefits of one vitamin may be canceled out by others, etc. In other words, the combination of vitamins may be just as important as the individual vitamins. It is also possible that there is too much noise in the data to really say because various factors like time of day (cortisol levels, etc) and amount of food in stomach may be very important but are not controlled for.

You can say the same things about most meds. For the most part, noone really knows how effective they will be for any given person. This is why the future is in personalized medicine (use math models to tailor treatments to your genome, diet, and other characteristics). Personalized medicine is also now a marketing buzzword, so watch out.
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 10:59:02 PM

The Meth and alcohol list would be even scarier.

i wonder how many murders have occurred after someone drank a glass of water

Cheesy
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 04:35:08 PM

Cheesy
Well 100% of criminals are users of H2O!

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 02:35:41 AM

Cheesy
Well 100% of criminals are users of H2O!

And we, or at least I, live in what is becoming an ultra-conservative society. Therefore it is inevitable that water will be banned.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:36:41 AM

Mary O’Dell, the mother of 24-year-old Brandon Montgomery Daniel told the Associated Press that her son’s role in the fatal shooting of Austin Senior Police Officer Jaime Padron was fueled by alcohol and psychotropic drugs.

Toxicology tests confirm that the chimpanzee that severely mauled a Connecticut woman in February had the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in his system.

Eric Harris, the triggerman in the Columbine school shootings, killed his fellow students and took his own life while taking Luvox.

Thirteen year-old Chris Fetters killed his favorite aunt while taking Prozac.

Twelve year-old Christopher Pittman murdered both his grandparents while taking Zoloft.

Thirteen year-old Mathew Miller hung himself in his bedroom closet after taking Zoloft for 6 days.

Fifteen year-old Jarred Viktor stabbed his grandmother 61 times after 5 days on Paxil.

Fifteen year old Kip Kinkel (Prozac and RITALIN) shot his parents while they slept then went to school and opened fire killing 2 classmates and injuring 22 shortly after beginning Prozac treatment.

Luke Woodham aged 16 (Prozac) killed his mother and then killed two students, wounding six others.

Boy in Pocatello, ID (Zoloft) in 1998 who in seizure activity from Zoloft had a stand off at the school.

Michael Carneal (Ritalin) a 14-year-old opened fire on students at a high school prayer meeting in West Paducah, Kentucky. Three teenagers were killed, five others were wounded, one of whom was paralyzed.

Young man in Huntsville, Alabama (Ritalin) went psychotic chopping up his parents with an ax and also killing one sibling and almost murdering another.

Andrew Golden, aged 11, (Ritalin) and Mitchell Johnson, aged 14, (Ritalin) shot 15 people killing four students, one teacher, and wounding 10 others.

TJ Solomon, aged 15, (Ritalin) high school student in Conyers, Georgia opened fire on and wounded six of his class mates.

Rod Mathews, aged 14, (Ritalin) beat a classmate to death with a bat.

James Wilson, aged 19, (Psychiatric Drugs – various) Breenwood, South Carolina, took a .22 caliber revolver into an elementary school killing two young girls, and wounding seven other children and two teachers.

Elizabeth Bush aged 13 (Paxil) was responsible for a school shooting in Pennsylvania

Jason Hoffman (Effexor and Celexa) – school shooting in El Cajon, California

Another boy in Pocatello, ID (Zoloft) had a stand off at the school.

Jarred Viktor aged 15 (Paxil), after five days on Paxil he stabbed his grandmother 61 times.

Chris Shanahan aged 15 (Paxil) in Rigby, ID who out of the blue killed a woman.

How Psychedelic Drugs Can Help Patients Face Death

Pam Sakuda was 55 when she found out she was dying. Shortly after having a tumor removed from her colon, she heard the doctor’s dreaded words: Stage 4; metastatic. Sakuda was given 6 to 14 months to live. Determined to slow her disease’s insidious course, she ran several miles every day, even during her grueling treatment regimens. By nature upbeat, articulate and dignified, Sakuda — who died in November 2006, outlasting everyone’s expectations by living for four years — was alarmed when anxiety and depression came to claim her after she passed the 14-month mark, her days darkening as she grew closer to her biological demise...

...Before Pam Sakuda died, she described her psilocybin experience on video: “I felt this lump of emotions welling up . . . almost like an entity,” Sakuda said, as she spoke straight into the camera. “I started to cry. . . . Everything was concentrated and came welling up and then . . . it started to dissipate, and I started to look at it differently. . . . I began to realize that all of this negative fear and guilt was such a hindrance . . . to making the most of and enjoying the healthy time that I’m having.” Sakuda went on to explain that, under the influence of the psilocybin, she came to a very visceral understanding that there was a present, a now, and that it was hers to have....

...Lauri Reamer is a 48-year-old survivor of adult-onset leukemia...but the illness and the brutal bone-marrow treatments she underwent left a deep mental scar, a profound fear that the cancer would return made it difficult to experience any joy in life. Her illness was lurking around every corner, waiting to haul her away. “When I was near death, I wasn’t so afraid of it,” Reamer said, “but once I went into remission, well, I had an intense fear and anxiety around relapse and death.”

...Griffiths says that he and his research team found an ideal range of dosage levels — 20 to 30 milligrams of psilocybin — that not only reliably stimulated “mystical insights” but also elicited “sustained positive changes in attitude, mood and behavior” in the study volunteers. Specifically, when Griffiths administered a psychological test called the Death Transcendance Scale at the 1- and 14-month follow-up, he saw subjects’ ratings rise on statements like “Death is never just an ending but part of a process” and “My death does not end my personal existence.”

...The subjects who have undergone psilocybin treatment report an increased appreciation for the time they have left, a deeper awareness of their roles in the cycle of life and an increased motivation to invest their days with meaning.

If David Nutt, in Britain, is able to prove the efficacy of psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression, would the F.D.A. ever consider approving it for that use? And if that ever were to happen, what sort of slippery slope would we find ourselves on? If, say, end-stage cancer patients can have it, then why not all individuals over the age of, say, 75? If treatment-resistant depressives can have it, then why not their dysthymic counterparts, who suffer in a lower key but whose lives are clearly compromised by their chronic pain? And if dysthymic individuals can have it, then why not those suffering from agoraphobia, shut up day and night in cramped quarters, Xanax bottles littered everywhere?

Halpern is not particularly worried about this theoretical future, in large part because he doesn’t see much hope for psilocybin as a medicine. “There’s no money in it,” he says. “What drug company is going to invest millions in a substance widely available in our flora and fauna?”

So the moral of the story is to stop taking Xanax and Prozac and go back to our ancestrial heritage of speaking to the Machine Elves with psilocybin.

Quote from: Rick Doblin
Why confine this to just the dying? This powerful intervention could be used with young adults who could then reap the benefits of it much earlier.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: