Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:19:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin could be considered legal tender in Australia  (Read 1783 times)
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:07:40 PM

Wow this is big, such a huge leap forward for bitcoin, if Australia does it I'd say more and more countries will follow Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:11:18 PM

Wasn't Australia talking about banning Bitcoin?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:36:13 AM

Wow it is incredible
Australia is always on the head of good changes

That's why it's considered as one of the freest countries in the world. http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking
CliveK

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:53:49 AM

Australian governments viewpoint is:

http://www.business.gov.au/news-and-updates/News-and-features/Pages/bitcoin-for-businesses.aspx

"Businesses don’t have to accept payment by digital currency as it isn’t considered legal tender."

There you have it, it isn't legal tender.

CK
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:54:15 AM

Regulate cryptos = tax cryptos

No way we can get full mainstream adoption without gov's wanting a piece of the action.  Other cryptos at a later date can be created to replace where bitcoin is at right now.  
ecommerce

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 09:02:42 AM

As much as I feel this is a great thing for bitcoin I can't help but feel that the Australian Government may be doing this to try and make it so they can begin taxing it to make money off it. I really hope I am wrong though.

I hope not.

Bitcoin being legal tender would accelerate the demise of national fiat currencies. Either government doesn't notice it, doesn't perceive it as threat, or they will inject barbarian regulations to control and tax every Satoshi spend.

You can't be paranoid enough when it comes to governments...

ya.ya.yo!

I strongly agree
CliveK

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 09:22:42 AM

Regulate cryptos = tax cryptos

No way we can get full mainstream adoption without gov's wanting a piece of the action.  Other cryptos at a later date can be created to replace where bitcoin is at right now.  

Hard to argue against this logic.

Governments will promote their preferred currency by accepting and paying in that currency, as well as only accept taxes in their preferred currency.

CK
johncarpe64

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:06:08 AM

Bitcoin: tax me if you can
Australia: no bitcoin without tax
I doubt that bitcoin would be taxed any differently then their fiat dollars are taxed (Australian dollars). Merchants would likely have the same obligation to pay the same sales tax on sales of goods and services. Employees would have he same obligation of paying income taxes on income. The only difference is the mode of payment.
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:26:54 AM

Good news. There's a lot going on behind the scenes.
Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:15:41 AM

Bitcoin: tax me if you can
Australia: no bitcoin without tax
I doubt that bitcoin would be taxed any differently then their fiat dollars are taxed (Australian dollars). Merchants would likely have the same obligation to pay the same sales tax on sales of goods and services. Employees would have he same obligation of paying income taxes on income. The only difference is the mode of payment.

But it'd be much easier for them to not declare those sales, which is great for citizens and bad for the government parasites.
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:18:19 AM

for me , it's not a good news . bitcoin doesn't need anyone's approval.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: