Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:44:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BIP32 iOS hot wallet with watch-only support  (Read 2562 times)
e4xit (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:22:49 PM

Hi,

I hope I haven't overlooked something obvious, but I am looking for an iOS wallet to use as a hot wallet on my iphone (save it please!)

Now, I just need a relatively simple set of features (I hope), I want the wallet to be a hierarchical deterministic type, where each transaction has change sent to the next address in the chain, to preserve some semblance of privacy.

I would also like for it to be able to watch addresses in watch only mode.

Anybody got any ideas?

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlackMarketKarma

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

Cyclical economic ebb and flow.

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:42:21 PM

Bread wallet, BitWallet can be HD now...um..GreenAddress.it

Bither is an interesting choice - it's worth checking out even if it doesn't fit those criteria..
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:50:39 AM

Hi,

I hope I haven't overlooked something obvious, but I am looking for an iOS wallet to use as a hot wallet on my iphone (save it please!)

Now, I just need a relatively simple set of features (I hope), I want the wallet to be a hierarchical deterministic type, where each transaction has change sent to the next address in the chain, to preserve some semblance of privacy.

I would also like for it to be able to watch addresses in watch only mode.

Anybody got any ideas?

1. iOS wallets with BIP32 support: Breadwallet, Hive Wallet, BitWallet.

2. iOS wallets with BIP32 and change addresses supported: Breadwallet and Hive Wallet. (Not: BitWallet, they merely show you all the BIP32 addresses on your chain and you treat them as individual addresses.)

3. Watch only address Support: Bither. (However, this only supports individual addresses. It does not support watch-only deterministic (a la Electrum))

For #3 I was assuming you were talking about deterministic watch-only support.

I have heard discussions on the Hive Wallet issues board discussing import/export of xpubs to allow for watch-only mode... but Breadwallet is pushing "ease of use" and all issues suggesting advanced functionality have been shot down. (Understandably so, he wasn't making the project for advanced users.)

Also, info from Electrum: The Kivy version of Electrum (for Android, they will actually release this one on the Play Store) uses the Python compiling suite "Kivy" which notably supports compiling into iOS. When asked about possibly porting the Android version into iOS, the guy heading the Kivy app said "It is probably a few GUI fixes away, so we'll look into it after the Android version is out the door" so that might be coming in the next few months.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
e4xit (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:02:56 AM

Ok so it looks like I should investigate Bread Wallet (strange name). I have tried Blockchain.info's, BitWallet, Bity, Coinjar and Hive and tbh got bored of manually testing each one for features so thought that I would ask here.

It seems that there is not a (single) iOS wallet which is HD type (with change from each send going to the next in the chain) and also supports watching only wallets... :/

Oh well

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:26:10 PM

Supporting watch only addresses in an HD wallet is a bit of pain. You'd loose them when restoring from backup, every time you add one you have to spend minutes rescanning the blockchain with a new bloom filter, or trust a 3rd party service. Then you have UI issues where a portion of your wallet balance isn't spendable, it's just a pain. I'm of the opinion that regular users shouldn't ever have to see or care about bitcion addresses anymore than they see or care about IP addresses, so I'm more interested in working on features for breadwallet that move us in that direction.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: