Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:52:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You can now buy a cryptostick with bitcoin  (Read 1913 times)
coreking (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 10:30:11 AM

Recently you can purchase the crypto-stick with bitcoins, you can see their announcement at: http://www.crypto-stick.com/2012/bitcoin

The device is basically a usb stick with an openpgp smartcard inside it ( http://g10code.com/p-card.html )

So the general idea is, you can securely store your pgp keys on the cryptostick to make it impossible for malware to extract the keys from the stick.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:10:50 PM

Cool, what can you do with it?
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:22:30 PM

Will certainly be buying one of these once they fix their bitcoin payment confirmation section of the site.
I still have nightmares from the last time I forgot to backup my PGP keys  Cry

zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 01:23:59 AM

I've had a cryptostick for awhile
Waiting for 2.0 version to come out where you can store encrypted files on it too like an Ironkey

Comes in handy if you need access to a pub computer and want to encrypt msgs without giving your priv key away
arby
Donator

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 08:51:12 AM

very interesting, i am interested in one also, but i would like to learn more about it first, i guess an youtube video would help on that website, because you do not understand much if you are a beginner with computers

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
coreking (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 10:52:14 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2012, 11:12:37 AM by coreking

Well this is just standard PGP, if you havnt used it before, it basically consists of a private key and public key.

The private key is used to decrypt messages that have been encrypted using the corresponding public key.

So you can give everyone your public key and it will not aid an attacker who wants to decrypt messages.

The other major thing you can do is "sign" a message with your private key, to prove you wrote a message.

So in this case, the cryptostick holds the private key and the decryption process is performed on the cryptostick, keeping the private key safe even if the computer you plug it into is compromised.

If you've never used PGP before, you can already do all of this just with software except with weaker protection for your private key. You could start by starting to encrypt your emails using GPG, (you can just get thunderbird + enigmail )
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 05:59:28 PM

Cool. Watching.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2012, 06:03:33 PM

I bought two of them but didn't realize they don't work in Windows (or the setup was beyond my willingness to tolerate).  I don't normally use Linux for e-mail.  They are still brand new in the original packaging.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 12:50:38 AM

I bought two of them but didn't realize they don't work in Windows (or the setup was beyond my willingness to tolerate).  I don't normally use Linux for e-mail.  They are still brand new in the original packaging.

They work with windows
Windows

When connecting the Crypto Stick to your computer Windows should prompt you to automatically search and install the appropriate device driver. Confirm all questions so that the USB smart card device driver is installed nearly automatically. Note that Windows Vista and above will fail to install an additional device driver for the smart card. This is okay and you can continue to use the Crypto Stick with most applications. Only if you intent to use the Crypto Stick for local Windows login, with Internet Explorer or Chrome web browser, you should install this minidriver.

In general GPG4Win is a recommendable package for Windows which contains GnuPG 2 and further usefull tools for encryption purposes (e.g. GpgOL plugin to use GnuPG and Crypto Stick with Outlook). Alternatively you can download and install GnuPG 1 binary.

I'll buy one if you still have it. Could use another one. Price?
These things are awesome for encrypting entire drives all sorts of functions

Ironkey is also a good hardware encrypted USB, works with windows easily but can store files on it. I have a few of those too
arby
Donator

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 09:16:15 AM

thanks for the reply coreking

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: