Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:14:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you know that the US is the Second Largest Bitcoin Holder?  (Read 3297 times)
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:55:36 PM

It sucks that no one stood together and decided not to buy the bitcoins from the government unless they were going to offer the coin for 250 each and thats it.  If the bitcoin community didnt buy it Im sure the price of bitcoin would have sold far more cheaper in the auction

It's not like the sole guy who bought them is trying to chop up California into several states or something.  Shocked
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 05:03:02 PM

It's obvious, isn't it? They got more people, don't they? Wink Wink

ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:07:35 PM

I really wonder whether they consciously decided to keep some BTC "just in case", maybe if they really think BTC could be very very valuable at some point or if they really don't care and treat it as some commodity that other people consider valuable.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:22:48 PM

Dialectic behavior.

While warning about the risks of Bitcoin and making lots of regulations that might suffocate Bitcoin, hold as many as you can, so if Bitcoin survives, they will have lots of control over it.

While prepare for the end, also prepare for the situation where Bitcoin thrives.

That way wharever happens, you'll be prepared.
Someone that holds the private keys to an address that has a lot of bitcoin does not have any control over bitcoin. If bitcoin is successful then the government would hold a lot of bitcoin that is worth a lot of money but they will have no control over it.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:35:20 PM

It sucks that no one stood together and decided not to buy the bitcoins from the government unless they were going to offer the coin for 250 each and thats it.  If the bitcoin community didnt buy it Im sure the price of bitcoin would have sold far more cheaper in the auction

It's not like the sole guy who bought them is trying to chop up California into several states or something.  Shocked

no your right, I was thinking of what Umair said, it would make sense if the community stood against the gov and not paid a dime for them, but greed is greed, and once the greed machine is running, it cant be stopped.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:44:11 PM

lol

the silk road seizure is small fry

we have for instance. the bitcoin foundation now in the UK (hundreds of thousands of coins)
we have a couple private exchanges based in the UK. (with over 100k coins in cold store(international customer owned but UK stored))
we have a couple public exchanges (bitstamp) in the UK with over 100k coins
we have richard branson grabbing a load of coins.
we have apple, facebook and google messing with coins(financially registered in the UK for tax evasion)
we have a belief (due to writing style and UK newspaper in genesis block) that satoshi isin the UK.

so americans are not really hoarding that much. after all

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 05:46:42 PM

If bitcoin is successful then the government would hold a lot of bitcoin that is worth a lot of money but they will have no control over it.
Worth a lot, but notably worth far, far less than the massive, global phoney money empire they currently ride on.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Plank

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:57:55 PM

Uncle Sam, or to be more precise, the US Federal Government, has been busy. Between bouts of criticizing cryptocurrencies, regulating cryptocurrencies and spending a bit of time warning against the use of cryptocurrencies; one would think that Uncle Sam is against us… on closer examination, that may well not turn out to be the case. It seems that Uncle Sam has been playing quite the little game as it is now one of the largest holders of Bitcoin… Ever!

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/uncle-sam-worlds-second-largest-bitcoin-holder/2014/08/30

What do you think of the implications?

Tips CCN at david.parker (at) cryptocoinsnews.com
Everything that is bigger happens only in the U.S either by adoption or by seizure.I guess the largest gold reserve also is located somewhere in US
cryptocoinsnews (OP)

Activity: 299

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 09:28:05 AM

Uncle Sam, or to be more precise, the US Federal Government, has been busy. Between bouts of criticizing cryptocurrencies, regulating cryptocurrencies and spending a bit of time warning against the use of cryptocurrencies; one would think that Uncle Sam is against us… on closer examination, that may well not turn out to be the case. It seems that Uncle Sam has been playing quite the little game as it is now one of the largest holders of Bitcoin… Ever!

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/uncle-sam-worlds-second-largest-bitcoin-holder/2014/08/30

What do you think of the implications?

Tips CCN at david.parker (at) cryptocoinsnews.com
Everything that is bigger happens only in the U.S either by adoption or by seizure.I guess the largest gold reserve also is located somewhere in US

I'm not so sure anymore, China has been stacking up gold: http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/pboc-banking-collapse-dollar-bitcoin/2014/07/26

/David Parker, Director of CCN
Towlie

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 09:36:19 AM

collapse of the US dollar? in foreseeable future very hard to imagine. in 20 years, might be, but it depends on so many factors

Though it always possible, nobody can really predict this and people have probably been saying the same thing since it was created.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 10:15:53 AM

The US government can feel the doomed fate of dollar and is looking for ways of reserve currency. They acted they were against BTC. Actually they are piling up BTC when the price is down.
cryptocoinsnews (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 10:44:57 AM

The US government can feel the doomed fate of dollar and is looking for ways of reserve currency. They acted they were against BTC. Actually they are piling up BTC when the price is down.

Source?

HomerS

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 06:49:00 PM

bitcoin is very popular in US

do you know that the third Largest Bitcoin Holder is Mr. Burns
oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 07:33:16 PM

This does not come as much of a surprise to be honest. I actually expected the US to be somewhere near the top as with the way things are now it may be that they are considering some kind of action with bitcoins. Time will tell I guess.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 08:10:03 PM

That gives a serious advantage to US in terms of currency again...it was USD not US-BTC??

The problem is our leaders are too lazy and corrupt to see a new potential currency and try to implement it into the current failing currency we have.  Even though we are technologically equipped to make BTC work it isn't given a real chance to thrive.  They would rather demonize it or try and control it then see people prosper for fear it may threaten their own pockets and the feeling of power they have.  I think that is why we see companies starting to accept it more and more and then the politicians will be forced to show their hand. 
rapta

Activity: 325

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 09:01:31 PM

I thought those coins were auctioned off..
cryptocoinsnews (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 06:19:55 AM

I thought those coins were auctioned off..

Some were, about 30 000 bitcoins that was confiscated from Silk Road, but they still got thousands more.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:43:58 AM

140,000 bitcoin. Hard to imagine the turbulence they will cause when they decided to sell.

The last time 30k bitcoin went to auction, coin price dropped more than 20% and then recover when someone paying above market rate the the coin.

Its interesting they only decided to sell 30k, im guessing they just hedged their bet and are holding out for higher prices/long term holders on the rest.
ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:52:54 AM

140,000 bitcoin. Hard to imagine the turbulence they will cause when they decided to sell.

The last time 30k bitcoin went to auction, coin price dropped more than 20% and then recover when someone paying above market rate the the coin.

Its interesting they only decided to sell 30k, im guessing they just hedged their bet and are holding out for higher prices/long term holders on the rest.
I think they were trying to receive the maximum price for the bitcoin they were selling. If they sold it all at once then the average price would likely be much less and would likely be able to sell it for more overall if they sold them over a greater amount of time.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:14:03 AM

I think they were trying to receive the maximum price for the bitcoin they were selling. If they sold it all at once then the average price would likely be much less and would likely be able to sell it for more overall if they sold them over a greater amount of time.

Well with the price right now lower they would have likely sold it for much more.  Was over $600 at time of sale ?  Also they sold in lots im not sure the full 140k would have killed bitcoin if sold.  I think its a decent hedge to sell 30k my guess is they wont sell anymore until we are in the thousands and by then maybe they wont sell?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: