Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:01:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Wallets for Dummies.  (Read 1858 times)
DrBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:00:24 PM

While this should probably be in beginners, I decided to post in the main forum for one reason...fear that someone will put up a dummy physical wallet service and steal bitcoins instead of answering my question.

Right now, I use Coinbase.com physical wallet service to offload Bitcoins.  However I have more Bitcoins in Bitcoin.QT that I want to put in cold storage, and I don't want to send them to Coinbase, pay fees, and also run the risk that some untrustworthy employee at Coinbase is intercepting the physical wallet printing service.

What is the absolute most DEAD SIMPLE and SECURE way to get Bitcoins from Bitcoin.QT to a physical wallet for printing?

Also...I am obsessed with esthetics...I even laminate my physical wallets...so I like the look of Coinbase.com's printed wallets.  I need a service that offers good esthetics, preferably customization, and is nice and secure.

Why doesn't Bitcoin.QT just have its own wallet printing feature? This seems like a no brainer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 04:22:57 PM

https://www.bitaddress.org

For the most paranoid (like me), download the website from https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org to your computer, disconnect your internet, and run it offline.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 04:26:39 PM

Yeah use https://bitaddress.org, if you want to be completely safe download the page (Page->Save as...) on a flash drive and boot a machine from a live CD (NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET) and create your wallet on that machine.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:07:26 PM

A Coinbase paper wallet is a generic paper wallet. You can fund it from anywhere. You don't have to fund it from your Coinbase account.

1. Generate the paper wallet on Coinbase.
2. Print it.
3. Send bitcoins from your Bitcoin Core (Qt) wallet to your paper wallet.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Fearless

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:26:41 PM

Yeah,absolutely bitcoin qt should itself possess a paper wallet printing feature,It would be best rather than using other services
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:28:30 PM

Yeah,absolutely bitcoin qt should itself possess a paper wallet printing feature,It would be best rather than using other services

Well this is an interesting stance. Yeah, I agree that as the "main" or reference implementation it should feature more of the interesting features that emerged, but I guess that BitcoinQT is neglected in many ways. Also a lot of people opt for a "cleaner" "lighter" or "simpler" client like MultiBit.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:28:49 PM

A Coinbase paper wallet is a generic paper wallet. You can fund it from anywhere. You don't have to fund it from your Coinbase account.

2. Print it.
I wouldn't personally use a paper wallet that is created by a website like this. If you trust coinbase enough to not somehow compromise the creating of a paper wallet then you might as well use their vault (cold storage) services. With their vault service you have a more or less zero chance of loosing your BTC because you mess something up.
cryptoart.com

Activity: 42
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 05:31:19 PM

What is the absolute most DEAD SIMPLE and SECURE way to get Bitcoins from Bitcoin.QT to a physical wallet for printing?

Also...I am obsessed with esthetics...I even laminate my physical wallets...so I like the look of Coinbase.com's printed wallets.  I need a service that offers good esthetics, preferably customization, and is nice and secure.

Here is an easy solution that should satisfy both.

1) Buy some Cryptoart

2) For security, swap out the private key/QR code by printing off a paper wallet from bitaddress.org.  The size is compatible.

Here is a code discount code for 35% off for you or anyone else reading this:

drbitcoin

The discount code is good through Monday.

Enjoy -Troy

PS: New artist with amazing imagery coming out soon!

ariyaromadhona

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:40:39 PM

Yeah use https://bitaddress.org, if you want to be completely safe download the page (Page->Save as...) on a flash drive and boot a machine from a live CD (NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET) and create your wallet on that machine.
yeah , cold storage provide more security and low risk .. even i'm newbie here , i'm using cold storage wallet to storage a big point of BTC Cheesy ..
and uses online storage for faucet or Gambling  Grin
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 09:15:40 PM

You can use a Vanity generator and write the private Key on a piece of paper.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Vanitygen

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 01:02:33 PM

2. Print it.

Thanks! This makes sense and solves the fee dilemma. But obviously not the security dilemma.

Nice suggestion.
DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 01:06:11 PM

2. Print it.
I wouldn't personally use a paper wallet that is created by a website like this. If you trust coinbase enough to not somehow compromise the creating of a paper wallet then you might as well use their vault (cold storage) services. With their vault service you have a more or less zero chance of loosing your BTC because you mess something up.

This is a pretty false statement. A paper wallet and vault storage are two very different things. With the vault storage, I don't have control over the Private keys. So while I do trust coinbase, there is always the chance of insolvency. If Coinbase goes bankrupt and disappears, so does my Bitcoins.
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 02:24:12 PM

2. Print it.

No way I'd ever use a "vault" storage. Vault storage is just a fancy way of a total stranger telling you: "hey! let me take care of your bitcoins for you!"
I remove any penny from CoinBase as soon as I do a transaction. I wnt full control over my BTC.
wezphoto

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 03:20:23 PM

I have used bitaddress in the past, it's really easy and userfriendly, I recommend it for a quick cold wallet.
Kentes

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 03:30:16 PM

I have used bitaddress in the past, it's really easy and userfriendly, I recommend it for a quick cold wallet.

I also use bitaddress, very user friendly , easy to get paper wallet. Saying from my own experience.
btcguys

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 03:33:52 PM

If you want true solution then might as well put the time and effort to store your bitcoins because it will be worth.

here is user friendly guide to help you create paper wallet: http://www.btcguys.us/blog/how-to-create-bitcoin-paper-wallet-tutorial

disclaimer: using this guide means you are trusting Canton Becker. Alternatively, you can use any paper wallet creator from GitHub such as bitaddress.org : https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org

make sure to verify integrity of the file.

rule of thumb: never use online computer to create paper wallet(s)
minerpumpkin

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 04:06:41 PM

This is another thing that needs to become easier for people to use. A normal person interested in using Bitcoin will never want to go through all the hoops and loops in order to create a simple paper wallet. But the trust issue remains. You should never use an external third-party service in order to create your private keys or print them on a paper wallet.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 04:37:46 PM

This is another thing that needs to become easier for people to use.

When Mycelium's Entropy device comes out, all of these problems will go away. You just plug it in to your printer's USB port and you print a paper wallet.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Tugbit

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 04:42:19 PM

SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND IF YOU PRINT PAPER WALLETS ON A MFP PRINTER !!!

Found this today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCKr5WgVVN8

Closer investigation shows that my mfp printer has a HD : http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02738751-1%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&ac.admitted=1409502745239.876444892.199480143

Even closer investigation allowed me to retrieve EVERY document ever printed, copied or faxed on this machine...
minerpumpkin

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 04:44:10 PM

This is another thing that needs to become easier for people to use.

When Mycelium's Entropy device comes out, all of these problems will go away. You just plug it in to your printer's USB port and you print a paper wallet.

Yes those devices are a very good starting point. In my opinion most people won't want to buy an additional device just to use Bitcoin, but we may optimize those devices or even integrate some of their features or security measures to mobile phones. Now we just got to make sure the printer isn't storing everything that's been printed on it Smiley

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: