Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:18:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's going on with Namecoin?  (Read 2002 times)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

NMC has been on a tear lately.  I'm curious to know the reason behind the recent run up  Huh

Mousepotato
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 10:51:04 PM

... are there any prenamed coins around? Possibly maybe we need more of them!

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 10:47:11 PM

Geez, 0.00900000 now!  It's coming back up!!!

Mousepotato
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 11:09:52 PM

A few considerations to analyze:

• + With merged mining, generating namecoins is much more difficult - 40% of Bitcoin (although more people are getting them now). It is probable that many merge-mined namecoins are being discarded by uninterested miners,
  • + You can redeem namecoin for domain names (although they are approaching free now), in addition to it being a currency,
  • + Namecoins used to purchase domain names are destroyed and removed from the money supply forever,
  • - It is doubtful that many have or ever will commonly use namecoin as DNS. It may be more practical as a place to register names for other purposes,
  • the exchange rate is also affected by BTC-USD value fluctuation.
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 02:09:33 AM

A few considerations to analyze:

• + With merged mining, generating namecoins is much more difficult - 40% of Bitcoin (although more people are getting them now). It is probable that many merge-mined namecoins are being discarded by uninterested miners,
  • + You can redeem namecoin for domain names (although they are approaching free now), in addition to it being a currency,
  • + Namecoins used to purchase domain names are destroyed and removed from the money supply forever,
  • - It is doubtful that many have or ever will commonly use namecoin as DNS. It may be more practical as a place to register names for other purposes,
  • the exchange rate is also affected by BTC-USD value fluctuation.

Well it looks like the dot-bit.org site is down and so is its forum.

Looks like namecoin on a discussion basis has lost much community interest.

Bummers.

worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 01:49:16 PM

It is up for me, but the procedure of browing dot bit is too troublesome for me to start using it.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 06:16:05 AM

NMC has been on a tear lately.  I'm curious to know the reason behind the recent run up  Huh

Low volume on both sides [buy & sell] makes it easy to create an artificial price surge.  Basic Pump & Dump.  Problem is there aren't many real buyers either, so the attempts to pump up the price tend to just fall flat when anybody decides to cash out.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 07:11:42 AM

It is up for me, but the procedure of browing dot bit is too troublesome for me to start using it.
I haven't tried the .reg... but that seems really easy

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 07:56:19 AM

If you just want to try, all you need to do is use one of DNS servers listed on http://dot-bit.org/HowToBrowseBitDomains#Replace_your_DNS_server_with_a_compatible_one
But from my experience they have trouble resolving some domains from time to time. If you have issues, just change the settings back to your providers DNS.
Comepradz

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 06:29:46 PM

Namecoin is mentioned as possible decentralized DNS for Project Meshnet
https://wiki.projectmeshnet.org/DNS#Namecoin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: