Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:30:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bullish divergence in Accumulation/Distribution  (Read 4428 times)
bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 01:41:20 AM

i pay more attention to weighted indicators like accumulation/distribution and price-volume trend.

Now this is interesting..

Bullish ACD divergence  Shocked

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 01:59:38 AM

ooh, you're getting good!

nice pickup.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 02:04:48 AM

Hmm,.. somehow nothing happened. How do you explain that? Huh
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 02:10:23 AM

it was enough to break the downtrend and could be leading on the way up.
bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 04:12:52 AM

ooh, you're getting good!

nice pickup.

thanks  Grin

shamelessly bullish right now.  Smiley

bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 04:24:54 AM

last one was a 12-hour chart.

this is a daily chart.

look what happens when the Accumulation/Distribution starts rising. *pop*

bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 04:36:50 AM

/facepalm

Its a little early for that. one of us will be disappointed yet.  Cool

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 05:08:34 AM

/facepalm

Its a little early for that. one of us will be disappointed yet.  Cool

In case you haven't figured it out yet, myself is the manipulator.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2012, 05:31:18 AM

/facepalm

Its a little early for that. one of us will be disappointed yet.  Cool

In case you haven't figured it out yet, myself is the manipulator.

looks like the manipulator, got manipulated

arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 06:17:05 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2012, 05:22:39 AM by arepo

Acc/Dist = ((Close – Low) – (High – Close)) / (High – Low) * Period's volume

dont forget this

yeah i notice that in practice, the ADL responds to the shape of the candles in a very predictable way. its slope is generally proportional to the distance from the median to the bounds in that when the upper bound is far away from the median (trading happened closer to the lower bound, top wick is tall) it decreases rapidly, and does the opposite when a "hanging man" (trading happened closer to the upper bound, bottom wick is long) forms.

even though it is an abstraction from the price, however, it does seem to do a good job detecting trends in the noise. it's actually pretty intuitive if you understand the formula that myself quoted.

EDIT because i accidentally reversed the relationship and for further explanation.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 03:58:31 PM

Acc/Dist = ((Close – Low) – (High – Close)) / (High – Low) * Period's volume

dont forget this

yeah i notice that in practice, the ADL responds to the shape of the candles in a very predictable way. its slope is generally proportional to the distance from the median to the bounds in that when the upper bound is far away from the median (top wick is tall) it increases rapidly, and does the opposite when a 'bearish hammer' (lower wick is long) forms.

even though it is an abstraction from the price, however, it does seem to do a good job detecting trends in the noise. it's actually pretty intuitive if you understand the formula that myself quoted.

Thanks! I see what you're talking about now.. so ADL has been rising for the past weeks because we've been seeing a lot of longer-tailed hammer-style candles (like today's candle) - from sells dropped onto bids that refill.

Sells have slowed to a drip whilst the bids keep filling up. I have a hunch that sellers are tapped (could be wrong though).

bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 05:33:39 PM

last one for now.

open to interpretation, but I see signs of an upward trend..

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 06:11:48 PM

That is all fine, but to trigger the rally, there needs to be strong, and sustained buying volume

bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 06:26:41 PM

That is all fine, but to trigger the rally, there needs to be strong, and sustained buying volume

Ain't that a truism!

Technical charting works great on price. But when price is sideways, how can we quantitatively analyze volume?

Let's throw OBV in the mix.

arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 06:52:46 AM

Let's throw OBV in the mix.

obv sucks. it just adds/subtracts volume with no relation to the price spread for a given period. noting the difference between this and the ADL, it's easy to see how the problem of propagation of errors can lead to a distorted shape in the obv. let me elucidate: what would happen if, for a number of periods, the median price is only slightly lower than the median of the last period, but during which a large volume of BTC is traded? during periods of high volatility, this can easily happen. this large volume is assigned a negative value due to the slight drop in price, so the obv plummets even though the information in the price spread might contrarily indicate strong buying pressure. this alone accounts for the differences between the shape of the obv and the adl in the above post.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 04:48:35 PM

obv sucks. it just adds/subtracts volume with no relation to the price spread for a given period.

I like OBV, it seems as good as any other indicator and has tracked bitcoin price pretty well in the daily chart above. Look at the all-time highs ($32 and $7) and the all-time lows ($2 and $4) - they are almost perfectly aligned at 2000 and 400, respectively. OBV isn't an oscillator, so its either been a fairly accurate cumulative measure of bitcoin money-flow, or that alignment was pure coincidence.

what would happen if, for a number of periods, the median price is only slightly lower than the median of the last period, but during which a large volume of BTC is traded? during periods of high volatility, this can easily happen. this large volume is assigned a negative value due to the slight drop in price, so the obv plummets even though the information in the price spread might contrarily indicate strong buying pressure.

This is exactly what happened in the correction from $7.2. That's why OBV is near the low at $2, but price is not.

In order for price to recede from $5 without the OBV plummeting to a new all-time low, bitcoin would have to trade downwards on very low volume.

arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 04:56:00 AM

This is exactly what happened in the correction from $7.2. That's why OBV is near the low at $2, but price is not.

In order for price to recede from $5 without the OBV plummeting to a new all-time low, bitcoin would have to trade downwards on very low volume.

so the obv agrees with your present bullish attitude, and that is why you like it? why should $5 "be the new $2"? my argument demonstrates that the simplicity of the formula glosses over information in the price which the ADL incorporates. this means that the obv is more susceptible to the danger of propagation of errors than the ADL.

further, even if $5 IS the new $2 (whatever that means), just because the obv has done an okay job SO FAR says nothing about it, i.e. the problem of induction. this is why i was addressing the formulae in general. do you have any responses to that effect?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: