Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:29:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MintChip challenge - Vote for Bitcoin! UPDATE: THEY LIED! SCANDAL!  (Read 11616 times)
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:25:30 PM

I haven't cast the vote yet. It's sure tempting to promote Bitcoin through this challenge, but then again Bitcoin already does everything MintChip might be doing, and much more. Oh, whatever. Let them be. I decided. Going to vote.
Bitcoin is not a good digital currency for buying Bitcoin, for obvious reasons.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 05:12:26 PM

6 days left!  Still 100 votes in the lead but #2 has 100 votes.. if she can get less than 17 votes per day then we win!
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 06:45:05 PM

bump

Please tell all your friends to vote!

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 10:09:55 PM

Maybe. Can you explain your point?

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:22:24 PM

I hope you're not serious.

If you are, please explain to me how you can purchase BTC for BTC, and who will sell you the BTC. Also make sure to include the current price of BTC, in BTC of course.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 11:29:24 PM

If you are, please explain to me how you can purchase BTC for BTC, and who will sell you the BTC. Also make sure to include the current price of BTC, in BTC of course.

Don't be so sure, there could be cases where you buy BTC with BTC

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94712.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94712.msg1047556#msg1047556

https://www.casascius.com/

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:34:04 PM

Does anyone reading this even have a MintChip developers kit?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:35:00 PM

Yes
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 11:39:21 PM

Mixing, Laundry. That's exactly what buying BTC with BTC is. And people do that already.

unclemantis

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:40:26 PM

Yes

Are you seriously developing or did you just get it for collect-ability?

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:42:15 PM

Mixing, Laundry. That's exactly what buying BTC with BTC is. And people do that already.

No, it isn't. Neither is collecting coins, expect in rare situations.

If I need 100 BTC, laundering is not going to help me. Unless I happen to have a block in high demand, neither is selling my block. What will help me is some CAD.

BTC is a useless commodity for buying BTC.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 11:45:20 PM

@dree12  we're getting waaay off topic

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:45:42 PM

Yes

I developed a working web based payment app but I'm not sure I'll be submitting.  While I'm using their interesting technology, I'm using some by own design and logic and by submitting you agree to license all your work to them for free in perpetuity.   Not sure I'm interested in that.  However some of their authentication and security methods were interesting and I'd like to port some of it to a Bitcoin payment device

unclemantis

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:54:07 PM

Yes

I developed a working web based payment app but I'm not sure I'll be submitting.  While I'm using their interesting technology, I'm using some by own design and logic and by submitting you agree to license all your work to them for free in perpetuity.   Not sure I'm interested in that.  However some of their authentication and security methods were interesting and I'd like to port some of it to a Bitcoin payment device

You AGREED to the terms and they sent you a kit. I am a professional programmer and I very interested in SUBMITTING something but I can't because all the kits where snatched up within a couple of days of announcement.

If you are not going to submit anything I will gladly take it off your hands for you so that I can contribute while you just sit on your hands.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 12:00:01 AM

No, it isn't. Neither is collecting coins, expect in rare situations.

If I need 100 BTC, laundering is not going to help me. Unless I happen to have a block in high demand, neither is selling my block. What will help me is some CAD.

BTC is a useless commodity for buying BTC.
How can you say mixing isn't buying BTC with BTC? It quite obviously is since you give someone your BTC and they give you back some BTC. No one ever said that buying BTC with BTC had to be solely because you didn't already have BTC. That you need BTC. Perhaps you need different BTC than the ones you have. And mixing is certainly going to help.

And the price of BTC in BTC? Well, that would be the mixing fee. If you don't get all the BTC back during mixing then obviously the price of BTC in BTC includes a commission. ie. the price is less than 1.00. None of this seems particularly elusive or complicted.

I just wrote this as an exercise in pasting the BTC symbol, which was a new thing to me.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "selling your block"? Where can you sell your block, what is your block and who would want it?

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 12:01:55 AM

Yes

You AGREED to the terms and they sent you a kit. I am a professional programmer and I very interested in SUBMITTING something but I can't because all the kits where snatched up within a couple of days of announcement.

If you are not going to submit anything I will gladly take it off your hands for you so that I can contribute while you just sit on your hands.

1. I didn't say I wasn't going to submit.  I'm putting the final touches on it this week and I'll be giving the terms another read.  Winning some gold might be nice but relinquishing ip may not be worth it.
2.  It a REALLY buggy api.  I'm have no ideas of your skills but even Zhou probably couldn't bank out an app in 4 days.

MagicalTux was writing a wrapper but I'm not sure he ever got it working.  I stopped following it.
https://github.com/MagicalTux/mintchip/blob/master/php/MintChipMessage.class.php

What languages do you develop in?
unclemantis

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 12:05:51 AM

Yes

1. I didn't say I wasn't going to submit.  I'm putting the final touches on it this week and I'll be giving the terms another read.  Winning some gold might be nice but relinquishing ip may not be worth it.
2.  It a REALLY buggy api.  I'm have no ideas of your skills but even Zhou probably couldn't bank out an app in 4 days.

MagicalTux was writing a wrapper but I'm not sure he ever got it working.  I stopped following it.
https://github.com/MagicalTux/mintchip/blob/master/php/MintChipMessage.class.php

PHP, JavaScript, ASP, C#, Ruby, Ruby on Rails

unclemantis

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 12:07:58 AM

Yes

Don't mind me please. I am just in a pissy mood I guess.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 12:16:04 AM

Yes

No problem.  Yes, the whole mint chip challenge was kind of strange.  I saw it on twitter so I signed up the day is was announced.  When I got the package in the mail I had no idea what is was becuase I wasn't notified.  There were were a bunch of pissed off guys bitching on the VERY S P A R S E mint chips challenge community board about not getting a slot.  
http://mintchipchallenge.com/forum_topics

There were even a bunch of pissed off Canadians where were not happy that the Canadian mint was sponsoring the challange and there were no spots for them.  

Did you check out the boards?  I know there were other developers looking to join teams and other contestants who were looking for partners.  

Problem was that shortly after the api was released some security guys identified some serious flaws and it also became evident how raw the api was, so I think a lot of people lost interest.  

They basically had this idea, wrote some methods and wrappers and threw it in the wild.  I'm really curious to see what some of the others come up with.  I say the mintchip will not be ready for prime time for another three years if they even continue to develop it.  

Who knows there may even be a round two of the contest.  Sign up for their twitter feed.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 12:18:34 AM

Yes

No problem.  Yes, the whole mint chip challenge was kind of strange.  I saw it on twitter so I signed up the day is was announced.  When I got the package in the mail I had no idea what is was becuase I wasn't notified.  There were were a bunch of pissed off guys bitching on the VERY S P A R S E mint chips challenge community board about not getting a slot.  
http://mintchipchallenge.com/forum_topics

There were even a bunch of pissed off Canadians where were not happy that the Canadian mint was sponsoring the challange and there were no spots for them.  

Did you check out the boards?  I know there were other developers looking to join teams and other contestants who were looking for partners.  

Problem was that shortly after the api was released some security guys identified some serious flaws and it also became evident how raw the api was, so I think a lot of people lost interest.  The was also a lot of mistrust from the decentralized currency community because the whole schema was controlled by the mint.  The Mint Chip is no bitcoin.

They basically had this idea, wrote some methods and wrappers and threw it in the wild.  I'm really curious to see what some of the others come up with.  I say the mintchip will not be ready for prime time for another three years if they even continue to develop it.  

Who knows there may even be a round two of the contest.  Sign up for their twitter feed.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: