Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:43:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do average people run full nodes  (Read 2435 times)
pandalion98 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 02:19:25 PM

I know that it helps the ecosystem. It verifies transactions, keeps a full copy of the blockchain, etc...

But it consumes a lot of ram and CPU cycles.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:23:05 PM

Because they can!

Actually many tech-savvy people do things not for profit but just because they can be done and are interesting from a technical perspective.

Onkel Paul

ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:30:08 PM

I don't think it consumes that many CPU cycles! Sure, it does consume them continuously, but merely verifying transactions isn't that processor consuming. I guess people like the idea of Bitcoin and like to be part of it, support it, and thus can also be proud of its success.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 02:32:10 PM

They want to support the bitcoin network, and in the long run they will profit off it. If bitcoin gets a "better" network, it will be trusted more and it will become more valuable.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 02:38:39 PM

Because they can!

Actually many tech-savvy people do things not for profit but just because they can be done and are interesting from a technical perspective.

Onkel Paul

This. I had the chance to get a cheap VPS with enough RAM and a good enough connection and I just did it. I got to know several linux tools I didnt knew before, how easy upstart is and I am currently learning how to visualise information with rddtool.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:43:38 PM

They want to support the bitcoin network, and in the long run they will profit off it. If bitcoin gets a "better" network, it will be trusted more and it will become more valuable.

Well, I don't exactly know if additional full nodes will be a reason for the Bitcoin network to gain more trust for the regular people out there. I guess it's more a question of infrastructure and I still don't exactly know whether additional nodes do make the network that much better!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:44:05 PM

Really average people?  Roll Eyes Lips sealed

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
EndlessStory

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:46:14 PM

This is because it does not consumes CPU cycles. Or simply they like doing it.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 02:47:35 PM

I know that it helps the ecosystem. It verifies transactions, keeps a full copy of the blockchain, etc...

But it consumes a lot of ram and CPU cycles.
Exactly what is the problem here? It doesn't use a lot of RAM nor CPU cycles for me.
I actually hate it when I exit my client and have to start it up again.
There are people who just want to help the system.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 02:53:14 PM

It's like their habit...they try to make it better for the "Bitcoin Community"

Rocky X

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:54:52 PM

There is no harm running full node, actually that's good for decentralization. Satoshi think about it when he invent this. Besides big miners, everybody have ability to use core client without a hassle.
pandalion98 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 03:08:14 PM

I'm really learning a lot here.

So basically, they do it because they can. They want to do it. And as a result, it makes the Bitcoin infrastructure more decentralized than ever.

Amazing  Smiley
pandalion98 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 03:10:52 PM

There is no harm running full node, actually that's good for decentralization. Satoshi think about it when he invent this. Besides big miners, everybody have ability to use core client without a hassle.

"Without a hassle"

What about the really huge blockchain? Some people are complaining about it (not me) and are slowly switching to SPV wallets.
What about those with limited bandwidth?

Just asking  Cheesy
pandalion98 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 03:14:10 PM

I don't think it consumes that many CPU cycles! Sure, it does consume them continuously, but merely verifying transactions isn't that processor consuming. I guess people like the idea of Bitcoin and like to be part of it, support it, and thus can also be proud of its success.

I agree. Not much CPU. But ram and disk space. yeah.
Connor936

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:16:18 PM

This is because it does not consumes CPU cycles. Or simply they like doing it.

It takes up a lot of bandwidth as many people are downloading the blockchain from you. Also you must keep the computer on at all times which uses up electricity.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:16:30 PM

Full nodes aren't for average users. Most average users that are running the reference client actually harm the network.

99.9% of the people should stick with a light version as their wallet and never care about how the network works.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:19:25 PM

People want to be part of the whole experiment. They love Bitcoin and thus want to contribute to it. Running a full node is the easiest way of doing that. If you want to mine, you have to invest a lot in mining hardware, also you're paying a lot for electricity. Running a full node is the perfect trade-off for many people, I guess!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:21:07 PM

Full nodes aren't for average users. Most average users that are running the reference client actually harm the network.

99.9% of the people should stick with a light version as their wallet and never care about how the network works.

I agree that thin clients are much better for 99.9% of people. I think that is clear and also intended considering it was in the Satoshi's white paper as well.

But I'm not clear on how an average user running bitcoinqt actually harms the network. How so?
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:29:11 PM

I agree that thin clients are much better for 99.9% of people. I think that is clear and also intended considering it was in the Satoshi's white paper as well.

But I'm not clear on how an average user running bitcoinqt actually harms the network. How so?

Because they don't open all the necessary ports to run a full node and so they end up being leechers slowing down the hole network.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:31:19 PM

It's the collegiality, selflessness and public spirited ness that characterises the crypto community
Self interest alone cannot explain why it works

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: