Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:21:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Average Joe Thinks about Bitcoin and Altcoins  (Read 1817 times)
From Above (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:47:40 PM

just read this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/salaries-paid-in-bitcoin-a-growing-trend-in-canada-1.2752441

then switched over to the comments, let me summarize em here.

The_Voice:
"The solution is simple: Just don't work for any company that wants to use "bitcoin" to escape its financial obligations to pay an employee in real dollars."

Noharass
"When Bitcoin goes bust, I hope the Canadian government does not bail these people out of their financial mess."

booyakasha
"These people will end up broke one day and will be on here crying about the rest of us needing to pay more taxes to support their social welfare programs."

Jordan
"I wouldn;t do anything more than virtual work for such virtual money..."

nexxtep54
"Any savvy techie with the proper software and code can make his own coin and steal yours. No thanks."

Abdul Rahman Hussein
"why take bitcoin? bitcoins are shit, in my opinion.
It is based on the what people believe on it value and it is electronic.
which means that when blackout or hacker can wipe your wallet clean. The chance of that happen is more likely, than hyperinflation or economic collapse. Also Canadian dollar are backed up by gold reserve and protect by the government as a legal tender. Bitcoin has none.Also , big bank spend huge loads on internet security and bitcoin has none."

norain
"Dont go boo hooing to the goverment when you wake up with a empty screen one day. You have to be crazy to accept this rubbish. Like any ponzi scam it will come down. You wait some hacker is working on this as we speak. Your going to be sorry for messing with this junk and thats what you own is junk. what a waste of hard work. It really should be named bite coin because thats what its going to do bite you !"

sachmo
"Bitcoin started by an unknown in 2009 and people are buying into it. I think there is going to be a lot people either very broke or very disappointed in the end. Someone is making money here and it probably isn't the average Joe."

.... sums up how 'Average Joe' thinks... and why Bitcoin (and even worse Altcoins) never truly went to mainstream acceptance within 5 years and most likely never ever will

~CfA~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:18:04 PM

And this is how the Today Show perceived the internet in 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUs7iG1mNjI

Is it possible that Bitcoin and all P2P distributed token systems will end up staying niche? Yes. However, just ask Argentinians how many more collapses they are willing to accept before they adopt something better. Maybe it'll take a generation or more, but I don't see distributed/antifragile systems staying niche, even if the average populace doesn't give a crap about it today.

bonipper

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:24:25 PM

The average Joe probably does not know altcoins exist.
MMXIV

Activity: 252
Merit: 120

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:29:44 PM

This has to be the most stupid thread I've ever read in my life

People said the same when BTC hit $10, then $50, then $100, then $200, then $500, then $750, then $1000, then $1400

Don't like Bitcoin? Good, don't accept it. More market share percentage for me

noelmal

Activity: 265

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:44:04 PM

People said the same when BTC hit $10, then $50, then $100, then $200, then $500, then $750, then $1000, then $1400

Yes and 99% of holders only buy into Bitcoin because it went $50, then $100, the $200, then $750, then $1000, then $1400  Smiley
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:47:22 PM

Yes and 99% of holders only buy into Bitcoin because it went $50, then $100, the $200, then $750, then $1000, then $1400  Smiley

Then they got lucky that there's more underlying promise in Bitcoin than there was in Beanies or tulips. Lucky investments can still be good ones.

rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:48:11 PM

Market share of something the market does not want?

That's not really a plus.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 10:52:28 PM

Yes and 99% of holders only buy into Bitcoin because it went $50, then $100, the $200, then $750, then $1000, then $1400  Smiley
True, and that needs to change. People need to see real value in using Bitcoin, not just as a better version of PayPal. Maybe the first fully autonomous robots will only interact with our financial world through Bitcoin, and then there will be value beyond what it is now!
MMXIV

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 11:23:50 PM

Plenty of people want Bitcoin. It's not that hard to cherrypick 5 quotes to fill an obviously troll agenda

mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 12:15:28 AM

.... why Bitcoin (and even worse Altcoins) never truly went to mainstream acceptance within 5 years and most likely never ever will

~CfA~

good point

not really a concern though is it, we can still trade, increase our bitcoin, sell, ride the pump, fall for the scam, have a big win, lose, invest in new tech

can we still do this, i like this

Grin
gnode

Activity: 492

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 12:19:53 AM

First of all, the average Joe doesn't think, so everything after that is meaningless.
MMXIV

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 12:28:05 AM

Plenty of people want Bitcoin. It's not that hard to cherrypick 5 quotes to fill an obviously troll agenda

I detect a butthurt creator of a hardcore shitcoin called 'MMXIV'

ROFL dont even dare posting noob Cheesy

~CfA~

Maieuticoin is doing very well. One of the few gaining value while all others (including Bitcoin) drop. Nice trust rating, I'm sure your opinion is very highly revered around here   Roll Eyes

DawnInTokyo

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 12:30:44 AM

Maieuticoin

I cant even pronounce that Grin
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:11:54 AM

stupidest thread ? lol no..
stupidest reply is more like it.. talk about shooting the messenger hahhaha

reality check guys.. the general public think it's a ponzi scheme *at best
i have been pointing this out non stop for a year as greedy pieces of shit make more scam / ponzi coins making Bitcoin itself look worse and worse .. all along.
you greedy fuck heads out there continue to make dipshit retard excuses for Doge coin etc then the public sees Bitcoin and... Dogecoin  LOL
nuff said.

and people don't know what Bitcoin is ?
Bullmutherufcking shit.. anyone on the INTERNET knows what Bitcoin is..
I have talked to random 80 year old people on the street and they all know about it..
and every single random guy i see does to like computer idiot chicks who use Facebook that forward me Bitcoin News

i hear is the same ignorant morons spouting off the same old stupid bullshit *defensive retorts
while bitcoin is worth 60 bucks or a 1000 bucks etc LOL

oh and the value of it has no bearing on it (public perception) in any way shape form what so ever !

what you greedy idiots should realize is your Monero or NXT etc are making Bitcoin look worse and worse !
and THAT is what you need to wake up and realize.

Because he created this thread does not mean he went and put the words in their mouths.. he just told you ignorant idiots with your head in the ground what is going on.
sadly none of you in the Altcoin scene gives two shits what the public thinks.. i have asked you all time after time and i get silence.. you guys don't care !

and i have said what the OP has said all along for a year as BTC went from 60 bucks on..
go ahead and beat up the mail man ignorant foolish idiots LOL

Altcoin scene = retards .... MOUTHY retards !

FUD first & ask questions later™
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:13:00 AM

denial.

MMXIV

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:29:24 AM

denial.

My bank account disagrees, as well as the 1000x increase from just a couple short years ago

Maieuticoin

I cant even pronounce that Grin

Click the speaker

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:50:15 AM

your bank account value or how much you have made from Bitcoin means nothing in regards to the OP's point.

i have made plenty cashing out BTC at $1,000 a coin myself and i am typing this on one hell of a fancy computer i bought with Profits Smiley
i spent close to 4 grand on a desktop PC to surf the web LOL
My Newegg PC parts order was so big it got my Paypal account seized and put under investigation ahhahah

but

it has nothing what so ever to do with money in your pocket ..it's about PUBLIC PERCEPTION.

Reading public opinion on BTC has been a hobby of mine for a year straight.. i have gone to and watched various sites like general PC news tech sites
and the overall reaction to bitcoin has 100% of the time been horrible.. they scream ponzi scheme and coin backed by nothing..
as a smart investor i have been keeping tabs on what people think.. unlike most of you with your selfish / greedy ignorant blind folded heads in the ground !

and i have told you all in the scene this over and over.. it's true and the OP is correct !!

if you don't want to believe it fine but i think you guys are just in denial.

he did NOT cherry pick 5 bad comments LOL
wake up guys.. come on, take off the bag holder goggles  Roll Eyes

MacDuro

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:35:44 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2014, 04:11:28 AM by MacDuro

Quote from: Come-from-Above

Abdul Rahman Hussein
"why take bitcoin? bitcoins are shit, in my opinion.
It is based on the what people believe on it value and it is electronic.
which means that when blackout or hacker can wipe your wallet clean. The chance of that happen is more likely, than hyperinflation or economic collapse. Also Canadian dollar are backed up by gold reserve and protect by the government as a legal tender. Bitcoin has none.Also , big bank spend huge loads on internet security and bitcoin has none."

Canadia dollar is not backed with gold , canadian dollar as USA dollar or Euro are FIAT , wich in concept is very similar to what bitcoin or any crypto is  , just coins backed by a group of people .

http://www.economicreason.com/usdollarcollapse/is-the-canadian-dollar-backed-by-gold/

The Canadian Dollar, among a long list of other currencies around the world, is no longer backed by gold. No gold, silver–nada is backing the value of the Canadian Dollar. The Gold Standard for the Canadian Dollar was officially abandoned on April 10th, 1933. This is not to be confused with the US gold standard, which was officially and completely removed in 1971 by President Richard Nixon

What is a Fiat Currency?
A fiat currency simply means a currency that is not truly backed by anything tangible like gold or silver. Instead its value rests on the confidence that the citizenry of that country places in its. In other words, a fiat currency is a piece of paper with a number and two signatures. The faith of the people give it its real value. Although declared by local government to be “legal tender”, this fiat bank note is what we must use under the law for a medium of payment.

I would like to see the face of that guy if someones explains all that to him  Grin

reality check guys.. the general public think it's a ponzi scheme *at best

You are right , but I think the whole world economy is probably a bad joke at best , the problem with a lot of people is that they don't really know what the money is and how the system works , that's the real problem with the "average Joe" and his credibility on cryptos .
mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:07:59 AM

as a smart investor i have been keeping tabs on what people think.. unlike most of you with your selfish / greedy ignorant blind folded heads in the ground !

and i have told you all in the scene this over and over.. it's true and the OP is correct !!

if you don't want to believe it fine but i think you guys are just in denial.

he did NOT cherry pick 5 bad comments LOL
wake up guys.. come on, take off the bag holder goggles  Roll Eyes

good point, i get it but

is it really a concern, we can still trade, increase our bitcoin, sell, ride the pump, fall for the scam, have a big win, lose, invest in new tech

can we still do this, i like this

Grin
mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:14:06 AM

I actually had a quick look at stocks, forex, CFD and found little returns compared to bitcoin/altcoin and I had to pay the exchange something like $19.95 for a trade or something and then a 0.25% fee and then some out of the world identification and then went;

..."crypto currency is the easiest way to get into trading and learn new skills, avoiding scams, trading tips etc etc to make me a better investor"....

Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: