Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:39:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Drip feed of the blockchain - is it possible?  (Read 757 times)
Cranky4u (OP)

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 02:11:01 AM

This is alt-coin based question but is a technical question that harks back to the very core of Bitcoin architecture so you indulgence is appreciated.

I have been monitoring an alt-coin since inception, to protect the innocent we shall call it coinX (original *smurks to self*), and I have not had a problem maintaining a wallet for solo mining purposes. The coinX is a very low profile coin which is trying to encourage CPU mining only, so being a bit of a renegade, I uncovered the algo and began solo mining it. After a few days, my wallet is now always about 300 blocks behind. This appears to be a wide spread issue amongst the nodes, ~300 blocks behind, aside from 3 core nodes which I believe may be the developers upon which they are solo mining - effectively sucking up the coins.

So my tech question is - can a blockchain have a 'master node or nodes' which distribute a delayed version of the blockchain in order to discourage solo mining?

P.S. This is a re-launched coin and a similar series of events happened the first time round.

P.S.S. I have moved the blockchain in order to restart the bootstrapping from the master nodes. Yes it does refresh the blockchain but stops short by about 300 blocks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GrandmaJean

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:31:19 AM

It sounds a lot like this coin is centralized and essentially controlled by the 3 "master nodes"

If it is not possible to access the entire blockchain on an automated basis then you would essentially be opening yourself up to a large number of potential attacks.

My advice is to stay away from this coin if you are not able to keep your version of the blockchain synched with the "rest of the network" (although the rest of the network is having the same issues).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: