Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:17:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How superior btc is to credit cards  (Read 1732 times)
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 03:17:43 PM

CC is used everywhere and BTC isn't.

CC are more popular, that's for sure. But, unlike bitcoin, they restrict the ability to transfer 'your own' funds. And anyone in the world with the internet access can use bitcoin, while most of the world population still have no access to the banking services.

...If you use debit card then company also gives you bonus points which you can redeem later Smiley

Awesome!!! So they give you free money to reward you for spending money? Where do you think those free money come from?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Skrillex

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 05:50:05 PM

All that CC has on BTC is mass adoption, the rest is inferior.
negafen

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 05:53:35 PM

The reason people still prefer credit card is because it protect consumer from fraud, broken product and come with insurance when travelling.

Bitcoin doesn't come with this kind of service and customers are pretty much on their own.

I won't call bct is superior to credit card.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 07:24:00 PM

The reason people still prefer credit card is because it protect consumer from fraud, broken product and come with insurance when travelling.

Bitcoin doesn't come with this kind of service and customers are pretty much on their own.

I won't call bct is superior to credit card.

Note that banks/cc companies are services build on fiat currency, we should be really comparing btc to fiat. The fact is, the 'bare' bitcoin can do most of what the banks/cc can do, with some advantages and disadvantages (no charge backs). But there's absolutely no reason why any additional service can't be build on top of the basic blockchain transactions.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
JerryCurlzzz

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:45:31 PM

Today's news of Home Depot's potentially massive leak of credit/debit card information (looks to be bigger than Target) is another reason why BTC is superior.... Grin
BitcoinLlama

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:49:28 PM

Confirmations are an issue, but it is very clear that bitcoin is infinitely better than a bank account. Anybody who thinks that is secure is not paying attention. It is only insured because of our domineering global policy at least in the US.
JerryCurlzzz

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:52:57 PM

Confirmations are an issue, but it is very clear that bitcoin is infinitely better than a bank account. Anybody who thinks that is secure is not paying attention. It is only insured because of our domineering global policy at least in the US.

Why are confirmations an issue? Bitpay does fine taking zero confirmations. My frustration is when vendors/exchanges require confirmations at all -- then it can be frustrating when your transaction is the one that waits 1 hour for a single confirmation! Grin
truehold3r

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:54:46 PM

Bitcoin is credit card 2.0, when all the people will know about it no one will use the cards.

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:24:46 PM

BTC is merely the currency. Credit Cards are a service offered by the Credit Card companies! Credit Cards could also use BTC, just like they're using USD, Euros, whatever already now! Credit Cards are being used in order to facilitate paying for things and they protect customers from being scammed.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 09:44:58 PM

security. Even CC uses those stupid numbers along with exp date, secret code, phone number, zipcode, yet still not secure and is the major cause for charging back
dankkk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 10:01:11 PM

No charge back for merchants. But customers fear it is difficult to claim refund back when problems arise. They need time to accept the advantage rather than to focus on the drawback of BTC.

True, the buyers' fears of no charge back options may slow down the adoption. No idea whether Bitpay have any sort of protection from scam sellers.
On the end of the day, you can still take a legal actions against fraudulent sellers, so it's not like you're completely defenceless (as long as you make sure you're buying from registered, non-anonymous business).
If there's ever a big demand for increased buyer protection, you can always get a 3rd party, trusted company providing payment processing and dispute resolution (buyer protection), it's pretty easy to do.
If you are buying for a large merchant with "reputation" then they would likely be willing to work with you to try to resolve any issues before it would come to needing/wanting to pursue a chargeback. IMO the majority of the chargebacks to large merchants are somehow fraudulent (either a stolen card was used, or the cardholder is lying about something). If the merchant does not work something out then their reputation would be at risk. 
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 11:11:36 PM

It seems to me that, regardless of the concerns consumers may have about refunds, merchants stand to gain a LOT from favoring BTC over fiat/credit cards. At this point they are just testing the waters by starting to accept BTC, but at some point I expect the lights to come on. They are going to realize, hey, this BTC payments thing works.

Someone is going to do a presentation comparing their BTC transactions Year-to-Date with fiat payments, and a bunch of executives sitting in a board room are going to see... zero bounced checks. Zero chargebacks. Zero counterfeit notes. Immediate payment, not after 3 or 30 or 90 days. No credit card fees or banking fees or handling fees or armored car deliveries for cash, and so on. And they are going to look at the charts and graphs for the cost of doing business with fiat, and it's going to hit them that BTC really is better, and they WANT their customers to be using BTC when doing business with them due to the cost savings.

So this is what I'm waiting for and fully expecting sometime soon: Not just a new business announcement saying they are accepting Bitcoin, but an announcement from a business that customers paying with Bitcoin will enjoy a permanent 5% (or similar) discount compared to other forms of payment. Enough that it will trump most every advantage to using fiat currency (such as credit card rewards programs), and send customers scurrying to google to see how they can buy this Bitcoin thingie to take advantage.

Once this happens, and other businesses follow suit -we could be in for another round of skyrocketing demand for BTC. Anyone see a serious flaw in my logic?

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Winner
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 11:15:39 PM

If the BTC price kept going up then there wouldn't be a use for credit cards.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 11:29:51 PM

I really don't think either is superior to the other at this point.   Both BTC and credit cards can be useful in different instances.   There are some purchases that I wouldn't make with BTC  (i.e. something that has a high probability of being returned).

For instance, I was buying knobs and handles for my kitchen cabinets from Restoration Hardware the other day.   I couldn't tell which ones would look the best, so I ended up buying one of each of a bunch of them (with the intention on returning most of them), and then ordering multiples of the one I liked best.

It made much more sense to make this purchase on a Restoration Hardware Credit Card.  In addition, I get 5% cash back towards any future purchases there.

On the other hand, sometimes BTC is much better, especially when the merchant doesn't even accept credit card (like Trezor).

Both have benefits, so I don't think either is superior.... yet.
bajlox

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:58:41 AM

BTC will be standard in few year so i wont make so much noise about it.

azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:59:50 AM

Bitcoin is credit card 2.0, when all the people will know about it no one will use the cards.

Use the force kid.

This is already in process only is mater "when".

Credit/debit cards and ATMs future is in crypto.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀