Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:34:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Suggestion] New rule Concerning Disruption of Sale  (Read 1407 times)
ataranlen (OP)

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2012, 04:36:23 PM

I propose a new rule on the marketplace forum and sub-forums concerning disruption of sale. I've seen several forum members doing this on a regular basis, and their trolling is getting out of hand. Often times they are referring to prices that do not exist, and are simply trying to hinder the OP's ability to sell. I believe anyone looking to buy/sell something is perfectly capable of looking up prices on amazon, ebay, newegg, this forum, and elsewhere and make the decision on their own.

I've seen a similar rule in forums that allow for the sale of items.
Posting in an attempt to disrupt the sale or purchase of an item is not permitted.

Going into a thread to post the "correct" prices of an item is not permitted. This includes posting the store prices of items and claiming the seller is scamming, and posting as an attempt to persuade potential buyers not to buy.

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 01:38:31 AM

Even to disrupt a scammer???!
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 01:41:46 AM

Scammers can go fuck themselves.

ataranlen (OP)

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 01:43:50 AM

Even to disrupt a scammer???!

There is a difference between calling someone out for blatant scamming, and telling someone There was a sale last week at an obscure retailer in your city and you paid $10 less than someone's asking price.(just as an example)

If someone is trying to say that they can't find 5970's for less than $550, and is saying he is the cheapest by selling his for $500. (scamming) I think it should be ok to correct their statement and point out that there are some lower. But if someone is selling 5970's for $400 (legitimate), It shouldn't be ok for someone to come along and say you saw some go for $300 on Ebay last week.

In the last year, I've sold 5970's for $700-$800 each. That doesn't mean they are all worth that much, I just found the right place to sell them, where someone was willing to pay my marked up prices.

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 11:13:29 PM

Better yet, let's make it a rule that once an ad is posted, any ad, 5 registered users selected at random, are required to buy that product or service regardless of price or reputation of the seller. That way the scammers that OP is so concerned about protected can be assured of getting a reasonable return on their efforts from this forum.

You don't like an open conversation when goods and services that are dodgy are offered, don't read the advice.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 11:34:40 PM

Replies like that often seem on-topic and reasonable to me. If you don't like them, you can prohibit them in your threads with local rules.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 12:44:31 AM

Replies like that often seem on-topic and reasonable to me. If you don't like them, you can prohibit them in your threads with local rules.
This is perfectly reasonable. If someone wants to hide the fact that they're overpricing their merchandise, then they'd be free to do so as long as people are aware that it's going on. Thus, smart sellers would avoid using that rule in order to make them appear more open/honest, sort of like how Woot.com does their daily deals where they encourage people to look up and publicly post other prices.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 12:57:41 AM

This is a public forum. Therefore, when a seller is posting here, there is a reasonable expectation that not every reply will be in their favor. For instance, if someone was selling a widget at 100% markup, and I make a reply stating that it's overpriced (with links), am I doing anything wrong? As long as what's being posted is true, the poster has provided evidence to support it, and it's relevant to the topic, it should not be removed. If the seller really doesn't want any replies, he/she can always lock his topics.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Nyaaan

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 10:34:02 AM

You're mad that somebody is trashing your sales?
If your product is good enough people will still buy it.

I can say anything I want about iPhone for example but people will still buy it as usual even after reading my 'review' and Apple will not even get butthurt

Please understand that you are just butthurt because you lost your customers due to inferior product
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: