Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:20:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've just written a new article about bitcoins  (Read 884 times)
coyledesign (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 12:39:26 AM

Basically I've just found out about bitcoins. But as I was learning I wrote this small article about them. I've noticed that there really isn't much of a community in the UK compared to elsewhere. I'd really like to see that changed.

Here's the article: http://coyledesign.co.uk/content/finally-real-virtual-currency-introducing-bitcoin

*shameless advertising*

All the offers on there are also available in bitcoins. Use the exchange rate of £3 to 1 BTC for now Smiley I'm currently writing a small PHP script to automatically change the currency from GBP to BTC on request from the user.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
schnell

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 12:46:43 AM

This is where the bitcoin differs. It is a completely virtual currency. Not backed by any commodity it only exists in the cloud.

Bitcoins are backed by the power and investment needed to make them.

Otherwise, nice article.
coyledesign (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 12:52:41 AM

Thanks I'll update the article to put that in Smiley
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 02:02:49 AM

Don't put that in, he doesn't know what he's talking about. To say a currency is "backed" by something means that the issuer promises to exchange that currency for something at a certain exchange rate. eg, back when dollars were backed by gold, you could walk into any bank and exchange your dollars for actual gold. Bitcoins are not backed by the electricity or processing power used to create them, and as a matter of fact they're not backed by anything. Gold isn't backed by anything either, and neither is fiat money anymore. Bitcoins (and gold) have value because they are scarce (there's no way to produce more after the inital supply runs out) and because they are useful as a medium of exchange (you can buy things with them). That's it. They're not backed by anything nor do they have to be in order to be valuable.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
schnell

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 02:11:12 AM

Don't put that in, he doesn't know what he's talking about. To say a currency is "backed" by something means that the issuer promises to exchange that currency for something at a certain exchange rate. eg, back when dollars were backed by gold, you could walk into any bank and exchange your dollars for actual gold. Bitcoins are not backed by the electricity or processing power used to create them, and as a matter of fact they're not backed by anything. Gold isn't backed by anything either, and neither is fiat money anymore. Bitcoins (and gold) have value because they are scarce (there's no way to produce more after the inital supply runs out) and because they are useful as a medium of exchange (you can buy things with them). That's it. They're not backed by anything nor do they have to be in order to be valuable.
Yeah, but saying they arnt backed implys that they are unlimited.
Really they are backed by demand and as you said, scarcity.
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 02:11:54 AM

That's it. They're not backed by anything nor do they have to be in order to be valuable.

+1

youngM

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 06:07:27 PM

I read soemthing about the price..
it works on a series of algorithoms
but dont ask me.. im just a newbie Cheesy
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 06:49:25 PM

Yeah, but saying they arnt backed implys that they are unlimited.
Really they are backed by demand and as you said, scarcity.

No.  Saying they aren't backed means exactly what he said he means, which is not "unlimited".  If he wanted to say that they were "unlimited", he would have said that bitcoins are not "limited".  Backing has nothing to do with scarcity or demand.  Read his explanation once more.  Or do some research.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Tesla13

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 08:12:07 PM

nice article, i like it!
RandomQ

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 04:22:07 AM

Very Nice, keep up the good work.
Andy First

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 06:44:03 AM

+1
overtime

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 06:18:12 PM

Well done!
Nyaaan

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 10:27:04 AM

Good article, but your advertising is still shameful, you just say it is shameless to make you feel better, but you are bad on the inside.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 12:33:21 PM

Good article, but your advertising is still shameful, you just say it is shameless to make you feel better, but you are bad on the inside.

If I'm a barber and I write "barber" on a sign outside my shop is that shameful?  If I write it on my website is it shameful?  If I wrote a blog post about cutting hair and said in it "by the way, I am a barber", is that shameful?  If I went to a forum about money, trade, economics and a new currency and said "I am a barber and will accept your new currency in exchange for hair cuts", is that shameful?

What would be shameful is saying "I am an independent barber evaluator and have found XXX brand barber to be the finest in the world", while being the person profiting from XXX brand barbershops.

This article and user are not, in the slightest, shameful.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
AngryCatfish

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 09:19:14 PM

You advertised for bitcoin, so seems fair enough. Nice short article.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: