Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:50:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's usage spread  (Read 2256 times)
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:26:51 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to measure how Bitcoin is spread out currently?

I mean this in terms of numbers of users with coins. This doesn't mean to show how Bitcoins are spread among various public addresses, but how they're spread among unique users.

If it could be measured, it would be a useful index of how Bitcoin is spreading and becoming 'mainstream' or not.

Eg.

When bitcoin was first created, it would have looked like this:

Currently, maybe it looks like this:

When it's truly become what everyone thinks it could be it may well look like this:

Perhaps it may look more like the wealth distribution graph:

*Image Removed*
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 04:05:29 PM

personally i think 10 - 100k in some years could be possible.

Skrillex

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 05:15:39 PM

10K is not obvious, it's OBLIGATORY, it only depends on the adoption level, BTC price is math: more adoption, higher price.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 05:19:07 PM

There have been charts including this one by MIT:

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 05:22:23 PM

Do you what data MIT included and excluded in this study?
MrBtcSenior

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 05:58:02 PM

I thought that the unspent bitcoins would have been higher in the last years but I was wrong of course.

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
truehold3r

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:02:53 PM

In 2009 you couldn't buy almost anything with bitcoin so they remained unspent.

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 06:47:27 PM

Here is the coindesk article on the study:

http://www.coindesk.com/mit-report-bitcoin-more-likely-spent-hoarded/

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
dankkk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:51:31 AM

I think the reason for this change is that people are now spending a lot more to mine bitcoin. As a result they will have bigger bills to pay that they need to sell their mined bitcoin for. In 2009 for example it almost wouldn't even be worth someone's time to sell their mined bitcoin to cover their electric costs.

Another likely reason is the fact that most miners use pools to mine. As a result (with the exception of eligius), the found block will have the block subsidy "deposited" into the pool address, and when it is time to pay the miners the reward will be transferred to the miner's address.
Winner
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:14:36 AM

I wonder how much people are holding in 2014...

In 2013 it looks like it increased the amount of users with unspent bitcoins

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:17:26 AM

It is simple, bitcoin is getting more popular. And we get more way to spentit so people are just using it just like normal currencies in real world. Nothing special about it, just simple evolution.
Victoo

Activity: 393

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:23:33 AM

BTC ATMs are getting opened at many places so there is a big chance of a fast users growth soon.
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:18:24 AM

Here is the coindesk article on the study:

http://www.coindesk.com/mit-report-bitcoin-more-likely-spent-hoarded/
I think this study is flawed. As mentioned above, most people mine via pools today and most pools do not payout directly into a miner's address, but rather mine into a central pool address and subsequently transfer the mined bitcoin into the miner's address.

It would be much more accurate if the study were to attempt to follow the outputs and look at the number of TXs that inputs are associated with. This would likely be a much better representation if the mined coins are actually sold or not.
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:19:46 PM

this thread make me ask a technical question:

is it possible to know if 2 or more addresses are used from the same person? And, if so, how?  Huh
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:12:35 PM

is it possible to know if 2 or more addresses are used from the same person? And, if so, how?  Huh
Not been found yet. But it is nearly impossible.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:23:13 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 03:39:15 PM by QuestionAuthority

I think the reason for this change is that people are now spending a lot more to mine bitcoin. As a result they will have bigger bills to pay that they need to sell their mined bitcoin for. In 2009 for example it almost wouldn't even be worth someone's time to sell their mined bitcoin to cover their electric costs.

Another likely reason is the fact that most miners use pools to mine. As a result (with the exception of eligius), the found block will have the block subsidy "deposited" into the pool address, and when it is time to pay the miners the reward will be transferred to the miner's address.

Bravo! I've been seeing that graph posted for a while now and you are the only one that actually realizes what's going on. The reason an outside entity like MIT can't just grab the Blockchain and start analyzing transactions is because they really don't know how Bitcoin works or have any involvement in the community of users. It was probably some grad students class paper and he was "guided" (and I'm using the term loosely) by an even more clueless professor.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:26:04 PM

It's not possible to know for certain, but it is possible to make an educated guess that there is a strong likelihood of two addresses being under the control of the same person (or company).

In order to spend bitcoins that have been received at an address, those bitcoins must be used as an input into a transaction.  Then the transaction must be signed using the private key that is associated with the address.

If bitcoins from two different addresses are both used as inputs into the same transaction, then there is a very high likelihood that the same person owns both addresses since the transaction needs signatures from the private keys of both addresses.
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:22:44 PM

It's not possible to know for certain, but it is possible to make an educated guess that there is a strong likelihood of two addresses being under the control of the same person (or company).

In order to spend bitcoins that have been received at an address, those bitcoins must be used as an input into a transaction.  Then the transaction must be signed using the private key that is associated with the address.

If bitcoins from two different addresses are both used as inputs into the same transaction, then there is a very high likelihood that the same person owns both addresses since the transaction needs signatures from the private keys of both addresses.

thanks for this reply, it's very usefull.

Just one think, that maybe is very simple but i don't understand: in which case "two different addresses are both used as inputs into the same transaction"?
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:27:39 PM

personally i think 10 - 100k in some years could be possible.

Maybe like 20 years id say Shocked
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:50:08 PM

Just one think, that maybe is very simple but i don't understand: in which case "two different addresses are both used as inputs into the same transaction"?

Here is an example:
https://blockchain.info/tx/0dc6416fc7c2db6167212bc50a6d3d940c3d40d1e3a4067b9194ae45256c6cae

In that transaction we see that the spender spent 0.0020125 BTC that were previously received at 1MxwKaCRWQnVseef7K8K93HgV6dr1dtSdP and 0.00022488 BTC that were previously received at 1AiWaZrV1ge1twKZUXHSb2WMThWEPaTeaZ.

Since, in order to be valid, this transaction must have signatures from the private keys that are associated with BOTH of those addresses, we can say that it is very likely that both 1MxwKaCRWQnVseef7K8K93HgV6dr1dtSdP and 1AiWaZrV1ge1twKZUXHSb2WMThWEPaTeaZ are under the control of the same person (or company).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: