Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:39:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Clubs in Schools  (Read 1479 times)
worldinacoin (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 09:47:59 AM

Just curious, are there any bitcoin clubs in schools?  For those in the education sector, what do you think of setting up such clubs?  I think that such clubs will be useful for spreading the awareness of Bitcoins.  Any opinions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:28:54 AM

I think its a great idea but those who dont know will be sure to get the entire argument about sex, drugs and techno out and shoved down anyone's throat who try's this by concerned parents.

If someone is able, its a great way to change the views though.
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 12:17:11 PM

Bitcoin is in a far too early stage to have such clubs.

IMO The client(s) needs a lot more refinement (AKA reaching version 1 to start with) before such clubs should even be considered.

And since most people have never heard of Bitcoin, the students (and parents) will probably see it as a waste of time unfortunately. But I do think Bitcoin certainly deserves a spot amongst some Economics and Networking/Computer Science lectures which would open up some more discussion.

Another point would be what age group you are referring to?
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 02:05:19 PM

My kid attends a technical school here in town. I've thought of introducing their class to some kind of Bitcoin project like show them what it is, how it works and give each student $1. Then ask them to barter with the rest of the class over a month. Suggest that some can invent or create products and services (like crafts or something). There will be some producers, some consumers, some speculators just like what we're doing. One day a week the teacher could let the kids go barter wild for a half hour talking about their good or service. At the end of the month we'd take a tally of how many bitcoins each student had and measure the economy. They could write reports on their experience. My only hesitance is their grade is borderline not ready for this, i.e. next year would be better. The year is almost up anyway.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 02:12:48 PM

Just curious, are there any bitcoin clubs in schools?  For those in the education sector, what do you think of setting up such clubs?  I think that such clubs will be useful for spreading the awareness of Bitcoins.  Any opinions?

I penned the following a while back:

What if some high school teachers introduced Bitcoin to their Economics 101 class? What if somebody started a Bitcoin Club in school? The club's main role could be to help the other clubs, in their school, raise funds for their special projects. Juniors always raise the capital needed to make the prom a success for themselves and the Seniors (who did the same the year prior). The beauty of this idea--it's these kids that will have the first opportunity to use Bitcoin on a daily basis once their out of school. They'll always know that their the ones who helped fledge it and gave it wings to soar.

Allow me to do the math on this. I think you'll find it interesting.

There are approximately 63,000 public schools in America. Say only 1/3 of them start a Bitcoin Club. That equals 21,000 schools. Now let's say that each club has, on average, 10 members. That equals 210,000 students. (if you see where this is going, please don't tell the rest of the class). Now imagine if each student spends, on average, $100 worth of Bitcoin during the course of a school year. That would equal $21,000,000. Does this number look familiar?

But instead of calling it the Bitcoin Club, for you would never have a PayPal Club or Dollar Club, dub it the Crypto-Currency Club (CCC), with Bitcoin being the only true crypto-currency currently available. I'll bet we'd be surprised of what ideas today's youth will come up with for using Bitcoin.

~Bruno~
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 12:54:09 AM

For those in the education sector, what do you think of setting up such clubs?

Heh, not sure if the success/fail outcome for the first attempt was ever determined:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8492.0
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=17.0

[Update: "failure":
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8492.msg311944#msg311944
"most of my hopes (of developing an internal market inside the college based on bitcoin) came to nothing, but there were some minor success". ]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 06:18:07 AM

I'm guessing the first kid to pull off a bitcoin club in their high school will be the next Mark Zuckerberg...

Wish I was 15 again... (and knew what I know now...)

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 01:04:19 AM

I penned the following a while back:

What if some high school teachers introduced Bitcoin to their Economics 101 class? What if somebody started a Bitcoin Club in school? The club's main role could be to help the other clubs, in their school, raise funds for their special projects. Juniors always raise the capital needed to make the prom a success for themselves and the Seniors (who did the same the year prior). The beauty of this idea--it's these kids that will have the first opportunity to use Bitcoin on a daily basis once their out of school. They'll always know that their the ones who helped fledge it and gave it wings to soar.

Allow me to do the math on this. I think you'll find it interesting.

There are approximately 63,000 public schools in America. Say only 1/3 of them start a Bitcoin Club. That equals 21,000 schools. Now let's say that each club has, on average, 10 members. That equals 210,000 students. (if you see where this is going, please don't tell the rest of the class). Now imagine if each student spends, on average, $100 worth of Bitcoin during the course of a school year. That would equal $21,000,000. Does this number look familiar?

But instead of calling it the Bitcoin Club, for you would never have a PayPal Club or Dollar Club, dub it the Crypto-Currency Club (CCC), with Bitcoin being the only true crypto-currency currently available. I'll bet we'd be surprised of what ideas today's youth will come up with for using Bitcoin.

~Bruno~

Hard to believe when we have all these other alternate chains up and coming. Don't be so close minded to think that bitcoin will be the ONLY cryptocurrecy. Even MySpace got overtaken being the "first successful social media site" by Facebook.

Keep your mind open to the fact that alternate chains (more of them) may end up emerging.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 02:28:38 AM

My kid attends a technical school here in town. I've thought of introducing their class to some kind of Bitcoin project like show them what it is, how it works and give each student $1. Then ask them to barter with the rest of the class over a month. Suggest that some can invent or create products and services (like crafts or something). There will be some producers, some consumers, some speculators just like what we're doing. One day a week the teacher could let the kids go barter wild for a half hour talking about their good or service. At the end of the month we'd take a tally of how many bitcoins each student had and measure the economy. They could write reports on their experience. My only hesitance is their grade is borderline not ready for this, i.e. next year would be better. The year is almost up anyway.
+1

I'll be thinking of the same thing in 6 years :p

by then most 12 year old would be buying Weed with bitcoin, from their local dealer, on their own.... what' you gana do...kids!   Wink

Uncurlhalo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

|Argus| Accounting and Auditing on the Blockchain

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 02:35:01 AM

I'm a current student heading off to college next year and have brought up bitcoin among friends before. A number of them find it very interesting and have gone and looked into it more. I believe this is something that should eventually show up somewhere with enough student interest. I've even considered selling things to other students using bitcoins in an attempt to set up a sort of localized practice economy. An environment with low levels of true capitol invested for a taste of how proper investment works. It's a cool idea.

Argus the revolution in making
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: