Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:18:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $500,000 USD to invest, What should I invest in?  (Read 3648 times)
Winner
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:40:11 AM

Ducknote (XDN) is a good investment.

would get in that and put some money on the side.

Whaaaa???!!! So are my collectible used underpants  Roll Eyes

That could be worth a pretty penny.

On a side note OP just use 10% save the rest.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:46:10 AM

I'm have over $500,000 USD to invest in coins.

My question is, what is the best coin, is your favorite investment choice for the future?
I will gladly invest my 500k, but i need solid answers on why so-and-so coin is the future.

Bitcoin for *at least* 95% of your funds.

Because:

... It should be somewhat clear that 99% of existing alts will lose 99% of their value over the next few years. Most alt "innovations" either aren't innovations (like tweaking blocktime or supply), don't work, don't scale, or don't matter. Furthermore, ninja-mining, pre-mining, ugly emission curves, 51%s, NaS attacks, etc, can all kill coins even if there *were* actual innovation. And further still, it's probably the case that if any meaningful, viable innovation ever gets done in the alt-space, bitcoin could eventually incorporate it, making the separate chain irrelevant.

You have to understand that bitcoin's innovation was 30yrs in the making. Solving distributed global consensus was a breakthrough in computer science. There has not been a single innovation in the alt space that even sorta compares to that. Not one. Which is why bitcoin is highly likely to remain dominant.

Furthermore, it's been well understood for the past 20-30yrs that if you could solve distributed global consensus, you could do digital cash, and it would be a big deal. It's just that no one had figured out how to solve double-spending (global consensus) prior to Satoshi. There is no similar known problem being attacked in the alt-space for which a solution would be a breakthrough of similar magnitude. So an alt would have to luckbox into some completely unforeseen yet incredible innovation.

So bitcoin likely remains the primary crypto-coin. That said, there *are* potential niches to be filled by alt-coins. The only one I can clearly identify is anonymity. It's clear that bitcoin does not offer meaningful anonymity unless the user is technically skilled enough and motivated enough to obfuscate their transaction chains sufficiently. Furthermore, bitcoin is becoming a global asset class, fit for corporate balance sheets and HNW portfolios. It's also obviously seeing high-profile merchant adoption, and tacit acceptance/approval by various governments and regulatory bodies. If bitcoin offered technically pure anonymity that required zero user effort, governments would probably be a lot more directly hostile towards it. Thus, it seems unlikely that the bitcoin community would embrace full-anon tech in bitcoin core; lest governments react harshly and reduce existing ecosystem investment value dramatically.

So that leaves the anonymity niche open to an alt. As I've previously noted, ever since Zerocoin was published, I thought that when it came out as a functional implementation, it'd be the first actually interesting alt-coin. Well, it looks like these CryptoNote coins have beaten it to the punch of functional anonymity. Which CN coin will win is a different matter. XMR seems out in front, but the waters are muddy still.

I don't see any other obvious niches for alts. Turing completeness is interesting in theory, but I wouldn't trust the security of such a chain for a quite a while, and much of the benefits may be possible in bitcoin anyway. Other than that.... ?

Now that's not to say you couldn't make a killing if you play the alt market perfectly, and jump from coin to coin as they fall in and out of favor. But good luck not losing your shirt.

tl;dr: Alts suck, with very few even theoretical exceptions.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
First.Bitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 1156

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 12:18:29 PM

If you are looking at the longterm, I recommend you read this post, bitcointalk.org - Re: How we crypto-geeks get it wrong & the reality of altcoin success

It will give you a guide on how to do your due diligence on any altcoin.

Founding Dev of ArtByte, the crypto supporting the arts, started in NYC - May 1, 2014 ArtByte.me
finity

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 12:31:52 PM

Too bad there isn't a solid exchange with cfd's and support for short positions
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 01:16:34 PM

CGB is a great investment!
jotaceo

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:06:14 PM

What are you doing here? If you have $500k to invest create your own company and have fun. You will probably have thousands more if you have $500k "to invest"...
rogerdonkey

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:07:54 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2014, 05:18:34 PM by rogerdonkey

My question is, what is the best coin, is your favorite investment choice for the future?
I will gladly invest my 500k, but i need solid answers on why so-and-so coin is the future.

Cryptcominer: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=762929.260

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:13:19 PM

I wouldn't invest any high amount of money on any altcoin because no one untill now has proven to last years.
They increase in value for a couple of months and then fall for the rest of their virtual life.
robmob

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Respect All Fear None

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 02:22:11 PM

I am looking for someone to invest in to the crypto currency community I own https://cryptoinfinity.com let me know if your interested.

Crypto Currency Communityhttp://cryptoinfinity.com

Donate BTC:15YMgV1nb97bpRqBT7CEf6ryo37gqeeRpL
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:28:48 PM

Lol, good one asking on the internet for financial advise, epic.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:31:42 PM

All I can suggest is you pick the top coins that you believe have long term potential to grow.  Follow the community, charts, developers and chat rooms.  If you're going to do it think of it as a part time  job at least.  If you put the time into figuring out which coins are worth buying and when is a good time to buy you should do very well IMO.

There are a decent amount coins I think have potential, but best not picking one coin.  Diversify and play the market swings.
ltbharley

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:47:35 PM

Invest all you can in ethereum when it will hit an exchange in the first day, you will triple your capital.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:02:13 PM

All in Doge. Diversification is for pussies. Don't be a pussy.

Yeah! You can be a multidogebillionaire! Who wouldn't want that?
Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:15:29 PM

Anyone with half a million USD could literally propel a coin into the top 5 on coinmarketcap and double their money.

Also, anyone with half a million USD certainly wouldn't be posting here for advice.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
Keyara

Activity: 174

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:32:51 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2014, 07:04:11 PM by Keyara

Rental yield in US is quite high right now.

You can search hudstore and buy some extremely cheap homes up and fix them up to rent it out. ROI is quite high compare to other other investment vehicles.
grantenierman

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 06:54:42 PM

I hope this wasn't a serious thread because 500,000 usd you can pretty much start your own coin with marketing and mining support but that what i would do with it anyways. just saying. plus maybe put some aside for bitcoin litecoin and doge the three titans of crypto.
Bogleg

Activity: 185

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:02:54 PM

I hope this wasn't a serious thread because 500,000 usd you can pretty much start your own coin with marketing and mining support but that what i would do with it anyways. just saying. plus maybe put some aside for bitcoin litecoin and doge the three titans of crypto.

There are already so many useless coins out there.

Putting money into useless products with high risk is not a good advice.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:30:59 PM

Imo.. Blackcoin because it has the highest chance of merchant / business adoption, widescale use.

reasons:  
Fast confirmation times,
NO pure anonymity = good because it can be somewhat regulated & consumer protection.

another small plus is you get 1% yearly return - without having to buy mining equipment or other bs.

amirmass

Activity: 425

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:35:58 PM

If you don't have time for daytrading, invest in vericoin, easily X10

██
         ▐██▌
         █▌▐█
        ▐█  █▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▀▀    █▌    ▐█  ▄█▀▀
      ▐█      █▌█▀
      █▌   ▄▄ ▐█
     ▐█  ▄██▀  █▌
     ██▄██▀    ▐█
    ▐███▀       █▌
Z-POP DREAM

▒▒▒▒▒▒████▌  █▌
 ▒▒▒▒▒▐████  ▐█
  ▒▒▒▒▒████▌  █▌
   ▒▒▒▒▐████  ▐█
    ▒▒▒ ████▌
     ▒  ▐████
     █▌  ████▌
     ▐█  ▐███████▄
      █▌  ████████▌
      ▐█  ▐████████
       █▌  ████████▌
       ▐█  ▐████████
        █▌  ████████▌
GROW TALENT ★★★★
★★★★ CREATE STAR

▒▒▒▒▒▒████████▌  █▌
 ▒▒▒▒▒▐████████  ▐█    ▒▒
  ▒▒▒▒▒████████▌  █▌  ▒▒▒
   ▒▒▒▒▐████████  ▐█ ▒▒▒▒
    ▒▒▒ ▀███████▌   ▒▒▒▒▒
     ▒      ▐████  ▒▒▒▒▒▒
     █▌      ████▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
     ▐█      ▐████▒▒▒▒▒▒
      █▌      ████▌▒▒▒▒
 ▄▄   ▐█      ▐████ ▒▒
████   █▌      ████▌
 ▀▀    ▐█      ▐████
        █▌      ████▌
Website
White paper
grantenierman

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 10:57:31 PM

There are already so many useless coins out there.

Putting money into useless products with high risk is not a good advice.

Point was with that kind of money you can start your own business with anything and include these coins as payment.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: