Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:50:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] Fully functional open source code for Firstbits website  (Read 1075 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 11:05:19 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2014, 05:29:22 PM by SgtSpike

EDIT: PROJECT CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS 9/8/14.

I cannot count the number of times that firstbits would have been useful to me personally, and I imagine to many others as well, so I would like to get serious about revitalizing the firstbits website.  I'd like it to be open source as well, so anyone can help improve the code or host a copy down the road.

The code should replicate the behavior as listed here:  http://firstbits.net/about.php

Basic logic should be as follows:
1) Gather all Bitcoin addresses from a block.
2) Compare first two characters of first address in the block to firstbits table.
3) If a match is found in the table, add another character of the address and repeat.
4) Once it is not found, add temporary firstbits into an array and move on to the next address.
5) At the end of the block, compare all temporary firstbits found from addresses in the block to each other.  Resolve any conflicts by adding characters to conflicting addresses.
6) Add completed list of firstbits to firstbits table.

Other requirements:
- Must store data in a MySQL database
- Must use either PHP or python (or both)
- Must be able to connect to a bitcoin daemon (bitcoinQT) to gather the addresses
- Must be able to compute and store firstbits with additional length (i.e. 1sgtspike and 1sgtspike5 must both return 1SgTspiKe5HHkjdSeD72q9WsiJhRiaxf9)
- Must be publicly hosted to github upon completion

Bounty: $200 of BTC.

Now I realize the bounty is low for a job of this complexity, so if someone else wants to help chip in a bit more to the bounty, please do so!  It would be greatly appreciated.

Any questions?  Any volunteers who wish to code this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:15:05 PM

Anyone interested?  Is there a better place to post bounties?
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:23:53 PM

I'm pretty interested.  I can PM you for more details.  Let me read a bit on your firstbits.com thing to make sure I understand the idea.  This doesn't sound too difficult (but I think the price may be a bit low).
ak111in

Activity: 180
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 07:21:19 AM

I cannot count the number of times that firstbits would have been useful to me personally, and I imagine to many others as well, so I would like to get serious about revitalizing the firstbits website.  I'd like it to be open source as well, so anyone can help improve the code or host a copy down the road.

The code should replicate the behavior as listed here:  http://firstbits.net/about.php

2) Compare first two characters of first address in the block to firstbits table.
3) If a match is found in the table, add another character of the address and repeat.
4) Once it is not found, add temporary firstbits into an array and move on to the next address.
5) At the end of the block, compare all temporary firstbits found from addresses in the block to each other.  Resolve any conflicts by adding characters to conflicting addresses.

Other requirements:
- Must be able to connect to a bitcoin daemon (bitcoinQT) to gather the addresses
- Must be able to compute and store firstbits with additional length (i.e. 1sgtspike and 1sgtspike5 must both return 1SgTspiKe5HHkjdSeD72q9WsiJhRiaxf9)

Now I realize the bounty is low for a job of this complexity, so if someone else wants to help chip in a bit more to the bounty, please do so!  It would be greatly appreciated.

Any questions?  Any volunteers who wish to code this?

Hi,

Inspired by your post, I have developed www.minaddress.info which addresses the limitations of this approach like instead of MySQL database where the data can be changed, we are using blockchain information thus making the address permanent,secure and easy to verify.

Request you to please review it and give your feedback.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=774378.0

Regards
Jouke

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 07:47:47 AM

I cannot count the number of times that firstbits would have been useful to me personally, and I imagine to many others as well, so I would like to get serious about revitalizing the firstbits website.  I'd like it to be open source as well, so anyone can help improve the code or host a copy down the road.

The code should replicate the behavior as listed here:  http://firstbits.net/about.php

5) At the end of the block, compare all temporary firstbits found from addresses in the block to each other.  Resolve any conflicts by adding characters to conflicting addresses.

Other requirements:

Now I realize the bounty is low for a job of this complexity, so if someone else wants to help chip in a bit more to the bounty, please do so!  It would be greatly appreciated.

Any questions?  Any volunteers who wish to code this?

ABE is open source and has this functionality

Koop en verkoop snel en veilig bitcoins via iDeal op Bitonic.nl
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:28:15 PM

I cannot count the number of times that firstbits would have been useful to me personally, and I imagine to many others as well, so I would like to get serious about revitalizing the firstbits website.  I'd like it to be open source as well, so anyone can help improve the code or host a copy down the road.

The code should replicate the behavior as listed here:  http://firstbits.net/about.php

5) At the end of the block, compare all temporary firstbits found from addresses in the block to each other.  Resolve any conflicts by adding characters to conflicting addresses.

Other requirements:

Now I realize the bounty is low for a job of this complexity, so if someone else wants to help chip in a bit more to the bounty, please do so!  It would be greatly appreciated.

Any questions?  Any volunteers who wish to code this?

ABE is open source and has this functionality
Good point.  I'll have to take a closer look at this.  In either case, it would be nice to have an implementation solely focused on firstbits, since a full block explorer is incredibly resource intensive.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, I have someone who has set out to build the system and claim the bounty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: