Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:42:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donate to debian project ?  (Read 2242 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:27:45 PM

Well, I'm sure there are many good projects to donate to.

I figured, I'd like to donate to the debian project, http://www.debian.org/

To make it a bit more attractive I ask anyone that wants to donate to debian project to make a pledge here.

I just wrote an e-mail to leader at debian dot org asking which address should be used for bitcoin donations.

When the address is known, I will support them with 5 BTC. Not a whole lot, but everything helps.  The more
requests they get, the more likely they are to consider accepting bitcoin.

I did not find a bitcoin donation option on their page.

Thanks!

Edit: Donation address must be printed on official debian.org page imo, so there are no confusion as to the incentives of this thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:40:28 PM

I'm in!!

I use Debian since Potato... But, no way to donate using PayPal or any other way... I only donate Bitcoooins!! LOL

Cheers!
Thiago
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 05:52:13 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2012, 08:14:53 AM by Stephen Gornick

Related:
"Petter Reinholdtsen: Now accepting bitcoins - anonymous and distributed p2p crypto-money: With this weeks lawles..."
 - http://twitter.com/#!/planetdebian/statuses/13142232181768192

Now the link in that Tweet does go to a cached page with an address, but I'ld touch base to ensure it is still valid before sending -- the Tweet was from December, 2010.

[Update: Oh, and hey look at this:
 - http://www.online-tipjar.com/list/debian ]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 08:40:38 AM

Im using Debian and will donate small bit. Smiley
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 04:59:48 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2012, 05:15:33 PM by Herodes

In essence I got the reply:

"Sorry, we do not accept bitcoins, but please see the options at http://www.debian.org/donations.

The reason I like to do bitcoin donations is (in addition to having bitcoin prompted), that it's so easy. It takes only a few seconds to do a donation.

1. Get the bitcoin address
2. Select how many coins you want to send.
3. Send the coins

It takes less than 30 seconds, while doing a manual bank transfer is tedious in comparision.

I guess they may consider adding a bitcoin donate option if enough people ask ?

I can see a lot of good reasons for supporting software projects with bitcoins, or perhaps we should spend bitcoins at bitcoin mechants and give
services/goods to the cause we want to donate to instead ?

If some reputable individual within the bitcoin community wanted to set up a donation address for debian, perhaps debian folks would be interested when it
reached a certain amount ?

I'd also consider donating directly to a debian dev if someone of them is lurking around here.

Still, the address would be leader at debian dot org.

I figure that if they get enough requests they will think: "Hm.. this bitcoin thing, maybe we should look into it, it seems that there's a lot of interest in donating bitcoins to us".

Also received bitcoins needed not be changed into USD/EUR or any other currency, it could be used to buy hosting space or any other service from the host of existing bitcoin merchants.

Perhaps some debian devs even could buy themselves some sweet choklate or cold beers to keep them grinding away at the keyboard! :p

Edit: Since I felt generous today and wanted to get rid of 5 BTC, I donated to http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/
helixone

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:31:10 AM

In essence I got the reply:

"Sorry, we do not accept bitcoins, but please see the options at http://www.debian.org/donations.

The reason I like to do bitcoin donations is (in addition to having bitcoin prompted), that it's so easy. It takes only a few seconds to do a donation.

1. Get the bitcoin address
2. Select how many coins you want to send.
3. Send the coins

It takes less than 30 seconds, while doing a manual bank transfer is tedious in comparision.

I guess they may consider adding a bitcoin donate option if enough people ask ?

I can see a lot of good reasons for supporting software projects with bitcoins, or perhaps we should spend bitcoins at bitcoin mechants and give
services/goods to the cause we want to donate to instead ?

If some reputable individual within the bitcoin community wanted to set up a donation address for debian, perhaps debian folks would be interested when it
reached a certain amount ?

I'd also consider donating directly to a debian dev if someone of them is lurking around here.

Still, the address would be leader at debian dot org.

I figure that if they get enough requests they will think: "Hm.. this bitcoin thing, maybe we should look into it, it seems that there's a lot of interest in donating bitcoins to us".

Also received bitcoins needed not be changed into USD/EUR or any other currency, it could be used to buy hosting space or any other service from the host of existing bitcoin merchants.

Perhaps some debian devs even could buy themselves some sweet choklate or cold beers to keep them grinding away at the keyboard! :p

Edit: Since I felt generous today and wanted to get rid of 5 BTC, I donated to http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/

Sorry for jumping on a dead thread, but I was curious if you (and others) feel that there is a significant number of folks willing to contribute bitcoin to Debian? I suspect if we could show that there is a non-trivial demand, there is a decent chance that a case could be made to set something up.

-helixone
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:09:08 AM

well I'd have to look deeper into what this project is all about so please forgive my ignorance.  I suspect it is a worthy project as you seem to be willing to give quite a generous amount, good on you friend.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:25:26 AM

well I'd have to look deeper into what this project is all about so please forgive my ignorance.  I suspect it is a worthy project as you seem to be willing to give quite a generous amount, good on you friend.

FYI = This is an old thread.
OP is indeed generous, but the amount then was ~$25 or $30 USD, not well over $2,500.

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:25:03 AM

Oppsies thanks for pointing that one out heh as I'm sure you already know I was not aware of this thread being so old  Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: