Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:02:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A new better bitcoin - capital coin  (Read 3893 times)
steelhouse (OP)

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 09:22:16 PM

I find it boring that every week, there's a new guy starting a topic to explain that BTC is doomed, but I see that BTC is still standing.
I bet BTC will still exist next week!

Yes, but it is vulnerable.  Nobody knows what a collectible is worth tomorrow.  How much are you willing to pay for a bitcoin?  What if at the end of the year bitcoin is worth $100, will you buy more?  If bitcoin was backed by $500 of Coca Cola, it would never get to $100.
Verse

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 12:15:43 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 10:59:40 PM by Verse

You're not so much outlining "Why Bitcoin Will Fail" so much as you're outlining how another similar (potential) currency could (potentially) outcompete Bitcoin. As you should realize from every other post in this thread, being a naysayer is not productive and not well received. Please don't take my use of the qualifier 'potential' personally, as your currency does not exist and therefore has only a potential existence.

What you're suggesting seems to come in two parts: 1) Capital assets backing a virtual currency 2) and a high(er) level of deflation.

1) Capital assets backing virtual currencies: http://bitshares.org/
Why purchase existing capital assets when new capital assets can be created via blockchain-specific IPO?

2) Deflation is an interesting subject. I think you would be hard-pressed to come up with a mechanism to initiate a decentralized capital coin buyback--centralization would likely be a negative towards such a coin's use. Generally speaking Bitcoin (and likewise various altcoins) are immune from the traditional drawbacks associated with deflation, so I can't help but view deflation rates as arbitrary assuming a constant rate > 0% is possible in BTC. The only decentralized method I can think of is destroying a portion of transaction fees until a fixed percentage of deflation is reached, but that would leave miners and therefore transacting itself vulnerable under the assumption that a certain amount of IRL capital needs to be dedicated to mining in order to secure a certain market cap.

I.E. When anyone can join in mining, obtaining 51% from a starting point of X processing power must not be economically feasible in order for the blockchain to be secure at Y valuation.
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:50:09 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 04:03:25 AM by steelhouse

You're not so much outlining "Why Bitcoin Will Fail" so much as you're outlining how another similar (potential) currency could (potentially) outcompete Bitcoin. As you should realize from every other post in this thread, being a naysayer is not productive and not well received. Please don't take my use of the qualifier 'potential' personally, as your currency does not exist and therefore has only a potential existence.

What you're suggesting seems to come in two parts: 1) Capital assets backing a virtual currency 2) and a high(er) level of deflation.

1) Capital assets backing virtual currencies: http://bitshares.org/
Why purchase existing capital assets when new capital assets can be created via blockchain-specific IPO?

2) Deflation is an interesting subject. I think you would be hard-pressed to come up with a mechanism to initiate a decentralized capital coin buyback--centralization would likely be a negative towards such a coin's use. Generally speaking Bitcoin (and likewise various altcoins) are immune from the traditional drawbacks associated with deflation, so I can't help but view deflation rates as arbitrary assuming a constant rate > 0% is possible in BTC. The only decentralized method I can think of is destroying a portion of transaction fees until a fixed percentage of deflation is reached, but that would leave miners and therefore transacting itself vulnerable under the assumption that a certain amount of IRL capital needs to be dedicated to mining in order to secure a certain market cap.

I.E. When anyone can join in mining, obtaining 51% from a starting point of X processing power must not be economically feasible in order for the blockchain to be secure at Y valuation.

#2 Suppose Bitcoin was backed by Coca-Cola Stock.   $6 billion of stock, would generate $187 million in dividends alone annually.   Imagine if some blind entity to bitcoin was buying $187 million of bitcoin and destroying them, every year as long as coca-cola exists.  Suppose this was another group and a blackbox not tied to the Bitcoin foundation.  As a bitcoin owner which would you rather own:

Bitcoin #1 backed by nothing zero inflation.
Bitcoin #2 with the blackbox destroying $187 million, presently about 0.4 million coins a year.

That's what a capital or business coin offers.  Now transaction fees might have to be higher to offer protection as there would be no money printing.  One thing I notice about AZO stock above, it has yet to have a losing year this century.

Bitcoin
2013 $757
2012 $14
2011 $4.7
2010 $.30

wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:54:00 AM

I find it boring that every week, there's a new guy starting a topic to explain that BTC is doomed, but I see that BTC is still standing.
I bet BTC will still exist next week!

Yes, but it is vulnerable.  Nobody knows what a collectible is worth tomorrow.  How much are you willing to pay for a bitcoin?  What if at the end of the year bitcoin is worth $100, will you buy more?  If bitcoin was backed by $500 of Coca Cola, it would never get to $100.
Bitcoin and a collectible watch are two very different items. There is no liquid market for a collectible watch, nor is there any use for it other then to use it to tell time.

The only reason anything has any value is because the market gives it value. There is nothing about gold that makes people want to buy it for as much as the price of gold is. The same is true for any other currency.

btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 03:27:51 PM

When I read "Bitcoin is backed by nothing", I immediately stop further reading. Bitcoin is backed by cryptography and will of the people to use it as a medium of exchange.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:48:01 PM

When I read "Bitcoin is backed by nothing", I immediately stop further reading. Bitcoin is backed by cryptography and will of the people to use it as a medium of exchange.

When you buy a bitcoin what are you getting for your money?  You only are getting some digits.  If you buy gold coin you are getting gold, a commodity or wealth.  bitcoin does not meet the definition of wealth below.  It only has value, like the dollar as a collectible.  The equity coin I propose is similar to bitcoin, but it has one thing different a constant buying of the equity coin by the profits of the equity it represents.

http://www.henrygeorge.org/pchp2.htm

Many of the ambiguities about capital derive from ambiguities in the use of the inclusive term wealth. In common use, wealth means anything having an exchange value. When used as an economic term, however, it must be limited to a much more definite meaning.

If we take into account the concept of collective or general wealth, we see that many things we commonly call wealth are not so at all. Instead, they represent the power to obtain wealth in transactions between individuals (or groups). That is, they have an exchange value. However, their increase or decrease does not affect the sum of wealth in the community. Therefore, they are not truly wealth.

Some examples are stocks, bonds, mortgages, promissory notes, or other certificates for transferring wealth. Neither can slaves be considered wealth. Their economic value merely represents the power of one class to appropriate the earnings of another. Lands or other natural opportunities obtain exchange value only from consent to an exclusive right to use them. This merely represents the power given to landowners to demand a share of the wealth produced by those who use them.

Increase in the amount of bonds, mortgages, or notes cannot increase the wealth of the community, since that community includes those who pay as well as those who receive. Slavery does not increase the wealth of a people, for what the masters gain the enslaved lose. Rising land values do not increase the common wealth, as whatever landowners gain by higher prices, tenants or purchasers lose in paying them.

All this relative wealth is undistinguished from actual wealth in legislation and law, as well as common thought and speech. Yet with the destruction of nothing more than a few drops of ink and a piece of paper, all this "wealth" could be utterly annihilated. By an act of law, debts may be canceled, slaves emancipated, land made common property. Yet the aggregate wealth would not be diminished at all — for what some would lose others would gain. Wealth was not created when Queen Elizabeth graced her favorite courtiers with profitable monopolies, nor when Boris Godunov declared Russian peasants to be property.

The term wealth, when used in political economy, does not include all things having an exchange value. It includes only those things that increase the aggregate wealth when produced or decrease it when destroyed. If we consider what these things are and what their nature is, we will have no difficulty defining wealth.

We speak of a community increasing its wealth. For instance, we say that England increased its wealth under Queen Victoria, or that California is wealthier than when it belonged to Mexico. By saying this, we do not mean there is more land or natural resources. We do not mean some people owe more debts to others. Nor do we mean there are more people. To express that idea, we speak of an increase in population — not wealth.

What we really mean is there was an increase of certain tangible goods — things that have an actual, not merely a relative, value. We mean buildings, cattle, tools, machinery, agricultural and mineral products, manufactured goods, ships, wagons, furniture, and the like. More of such things is an increase in wealth; less of them is a decrease in wealth. We would say the community with the most of such things, in proportion to its population, is the wealthiest.

What is the common characteristic of these things? They all consist of natural substances that have been adapted by human labor for human use. Wealth, then, may be defined as natural products that have been secured, moved, combined, separated, or in other ways modified by human exertion to fit them for the gratification of human desires. Their value depends on the amount of labor that, on average, would be required to produce things of like kind. In other words, it is labor impressed upon matter so as to store up the power of human labor to satisfy human desires, as the heat of the sun is stored in coal.

Wealth is not the sole object of labor, for labor is also expended to directly satisfy human desires. Wealth is the result of what we may call productive labor — that is, labor that gives value to material things. Wealth does not include anything nature supplies without human labor. Yet the result of labor is not wealth unless it produces a tangible product that satisfies human desires.

Capital is wealth devoted to a certain purpose. Therefore, nothing can be considered capital that does not fit within the definition of wealth.

But though all capital is wealth, all wealth is not capital. Capital is only a particular part of wealth — that part devoted to aid production. We must draw a line between wealth that is capital and wealth that is not capital. If we keep this in mind, we can eliminate misconceptions that have led even gifted thinkers into a maze of contradiction.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:42:14 PM

This is not necessarily true. Bitcoin is secured by cryptography, not backed by it. Nothing and no one backs bitcoin.

It is not a guarantee that people will continue to use bitcoin as a medium of exchange. People use it as one today because it is a system that people can use to buy things and pay people without having to trust anyone holding their money.

Unbelive

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:44:45 AM

Bitcoin is backed by nothing and eventually a new cryptocoin coin based on productive assets will come along and displace it. 

Bitcoin is not buisness. Bitcoin is money. You dont eat money. you eat what you can buy for money.

steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:51:27 PM

I thought I would offer a mythical game plan to convert bitcoin to a capital coin.  Equity or business coin might be a better term, but the definition of Henry George where only material things like a cow, mill, or factory is true capital fits best.  Many of these new alt coins try to do too much.  A coin should not be doing assets, used for sending info, or have multiple chains on it.

The base coin may still be bitcoin (or a nothing coin) as you can easily have an auto selling.  Bitcoin will always have some value.

1.  Offer an exchange rate of 1000:1 for bitcoin to the new coin I think we can use the popular meme coin dogecapcoin.  This offer should be good for 2 years or so.
2.  As transfers occur, the bitcoin is converted into dollars and global conglomerate Coca Cola might be good for marketing.
3.  1% equity plus the dividend will be used for deletion.  Thus about 3.91%.  This is if KO is used.
4. 5% of this pool will be used to fund the dogecapcoin foundation.  Preferable try to attract the big names like Roger Ver and Gavin Andresen to the foundation with big salaries.
5. 95% will go to the deletion of dogecapcoin, the coin is bought randomly and sent to a void address.  dogecapcoin equity group would control the investments and deletion, however there might only be one stock KO.
6. The reason for KO is once the ownership becomes large enough we can start to get jobs at KO and possibly board seats.
7.  We could have enough power to change the Coca Cola logo to the doge meme.
8. As said before the infrastructure is built around bitcoin, thus there is no need to change it.  Just an automated exchange that converts DCC to BTC to dollars to buy whatever.
9. Set the transaction fee rather high maybe 0.01 to give miners a reward, possibly in a merged mined POS.  If the fee is too high some of it can be deleted.

note: If you have assets you can also peg a nothing coin and profit off the volatility.

note: if bitcoin is $500 and you convert 1 BTC for 1000 dogecapcoins, they should be worth $0.50.  Notes as the deletion starts since there is no or similar mining rewards to bitcoin, the value of dogecapcoin should exceed bitcoin.  It would then be a no brainer to convert.  As you could convert say a $500 bitcoin for $600 worth of dogecapcoins with no risk.   Most likely you would have to because BTC would be dropping in price.

note: KO is only an example, you could probably buy a stock where you could end up owning majority and even own the whole thing.

note: this could also be a good way to clean out the blockchain.
flyingcatt

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:24:36 PM

So OP, why dont you sell your Hero account for 1 BTC, cash out now and never come back then, if BTC is doomed?  Roll Eyes
bitcoboss

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 09:04:44 PM

only regulation can damage bitcoin
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:13:35 AM

So OP, why dont you sell your Hero account for 1 BTC, cash out now and never come back then, if BTC is doomed?  Roll Eyes

I am a strong supporter of bitcoin, I just found a another mousetrap.  In many ways by posts on alt, led to some of the ideas of NXT and Ripple.   Go look back at my old old posts.  Bitcoin does not have to be involved in the new coin and I expect someone within a year will start a capital coin.  One I may actually buy.  Bitcoin can still be used like Warren Buffett uses the dollar.

Imagine a motel chain and resturant owned by a coin, giving you a 50% discount as a shareholder if you use the coin to pay for the room or meal.
fa

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:43:31 AM

BTC is not backed by nothing. It's backed by hundreds and thousands of miners.
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:20:36 PM

I find your post very interesting and I share everything except that Bitocoin is going to die. I think BTC is going to have an evolution and a 2.0 Version of the same is going to take place.

I changed the title.  Capital coin involves no software.  Thus a non-profit could be use to provide funding to deletion, the bitcoin foundation, and as a mining reward if it gets too small.
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:22:22 PM

BTC is not backed by nothing. It's backed by hundreds and thousands of miners.

Like a hamster on a wheel when they get off there is nothing.
troisky

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:52:21 PM

Shouldnt this be in the altcoin forum?  Roll Eyes
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:17:11 PM

You claim Bitcoin is backed by nothing is that is completely false.  Bitcoin is backed buy the users of the system, trust and the innovation of the system itself.  So your first sentence is completely false and you're following comments automatically lose credibility in my opinion.  Hopefully you take the time to explain why it has been so successful over the years?

The problem is even though bitcoin might have 0% inflation, -10% inflation is better. The U.S. dollar has +6% inflation.  Bitcoin is backed like the U.S. dollar.  As long as bitcoin is the world reserve cryptocurrency it will be in the same position as the dollar, it will fail tomorrow, it will fail tomorrow, 100 years from now, it will fail tomorrow.

What you have here is stock market 2.0 and darkcoin combined, where anyone can ipo a stock based on a dream.

It's not about making a everlasting currency it is using the best option available.  The current banking model is so flawed it not funny and people have been, currently are and will be suffering because of it.  The removal of power from a centralized entity far out weighs the fact that Bitcoin isn't a perfect currency that will someday fail.
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:22:11 AM
Last edit: September 07, 2014, 03:52:10 AM by steelhouse

Just thought I would show you the power of a capital coin.

1. Use the proceeds to buy mining equipment.  
2. Convert the mined coins to bitcoin and buy your coin with them and delete them.

Example of game plan

1000 (Mining Coin) to 1 BTC
Suppose you obtain 300 BTC
Use money to buy $150,000 worth of mining equipment

30x3 = 100 Th on ebay kncminer
Delete over 1-2 BTC worth of coin a day.

brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:40:34 AM

I think you need to watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkfhi8Eaiw&

Money doesn't have to be backed by anything.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
steelhouse (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:06:11 AM

I think you need to watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkfhi8Eaiw&

Money doesn't have to be backed by anything.

:35 gold has value because that is what someone is willing to pay for it.
1:20 what he is saying is true, unless somethig that comes along is better.  A capital coin or one the inflates the least is best.  If you can actually delete coins, better.  The only way you are going to get 10% + deletion is via using your coins value as capital.

4:25 it needs to be scarce, is not deflating even better?
5:30 there are other metals too copper, gold might be worthless in 5,000 years once we start mining moon.
6:13 one think gold is better that bitcoin, gold is a commodity and has other uses like filling in your teeth.  If bitcoin owned disneyland, we could get free tickets.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: