Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:36:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralized Land Registry  (Read 1013 times)
beckspace (OP)

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:41:27 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2012, 11:05:12 PM by beckspace

"It's in the Internet, we saw it. But we went to the real office and it's not there!"

My cleaning lady complained about her husband's pension fund. What impressed me was that she gave more importance to a information that it is the Internet than some "oficial" government paper.

Maybe it's a naive idea and I'm not looking deep enough in the private property's issue, but I imagine a system of land registry initially walking side by side with the oficial registry, until people gain confidence and see coherence in the decentralized information.

The protocol divide the earth's lands in pieces (XY Coordinates, like pixels) and that can be made more divisible if needed.

Communities and buildings can use Multi-Sig functions.

I'm not seeing yet a solution for rewards/incentive in running such network other than have accurate information about who owns the land.

Another drawback is that you'll have to attach a real name (Decentralized Naming?/Pseudonym/Public Key?) to a piece of the land.

The objective is just to point who owns what, not to enforce some action to resolve disputes.

I don't even imagine the nightmare that is getting your land hacked!

Yet my thought is: Decentralize All the Things!!!

What's yours?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 09:36:50 AM

I think you could do most of what you are talking about already in some way within the Namecoin blockchain.

Also you could use Ricardian contracts, like Open Transactions can create, that describe the land title (owner signatures, co-ords, etc) and store the hash of that contract in the Namecoin blockchain.

naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 11:04:29 AM

Definitely an interesting idea however wouldn't a 51% attack render it useless?

Perhaps as an incentive, and a way to gain hashing power, give out coins to buy LAND with for those who "Mine" LANDcoins.

Unfortunately this will NEVER take off in the real world since people already own land here on EARTH. It would be cool to see this in Minecraft, Second Life or any other game with "ownable" land.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: