Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:48:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you download movies, music etc illegally?
Yes, I never pay - 52 (59.1%)
I pay for indie, the rest I download - 10 (11.4%)
I stream illegally - 6 (6.8%)
I stream legally - 3 (3.4%)
I download legally - 1 (1.1%)
Sometimes, but most of the times I buy legit - 11 (12.5%)
Never, I am afraid of the risks - 1 (1.1%)
Never, I think the movie companies need more money - 4 (4.5%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you download illegally?  (Read 7224 times)
ssaillenss

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:32:19 PM

I download a lot, dont have many for pay everything what i download Cheesy

PotatoPie

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:20:18 PM

I normally pay for the main things like anti-virus software, and software from small companies. In a lot of cases like all of the adobe software, they'll gain off you downloading it illegally because it increases popularity and then you'll go off and actually buy it legally for your workplace.

BTC Address: 13mUzcjYysbgNWstbasJ3PVkPB2nCUEqFg
Nabilo

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:46:58 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 06:59:46 AM by Nabilo

why pay for it when you can get it free

well, but here a little problem;
 when downloading illegally you don't have a warranty of authenticity and quality. /authenticity of sound of music for example. (it's maybe that's the snag when you don't know what happened with a song when you have download it in 320kbp mp3 quality)
Nabilo

Activity: 628

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:43:53 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 07:54:35 AM by Nabilo

Like that, a torrents download site user can easily convert a discography of an artist whom he downloaded in an average quality to a superior quality having before this converted it in audio format . And steal the star from the first Uploader and get more privileges on the site.

or either a psychopath can mix musics with parasites or to bring modifications on the sound stamp because it amuses him playing with spirits .

turncoat_ewok

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:51:52 PM

I don't understand what do you mean by illegally. I always pay my internet bill.
sickhouse (OP)

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:51:48 PM

I don't understand what do you mean by illegally. I always pay my internet bill.
Different laws different countries. More votes please Smiley

Turn off the news and read. Watch Psywar, learn something important about our society and PR, why and how it got started and how it brainwashes you.
bitcoinforhelp

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:05:42 AM

I didn't dowloaded anything illegal ever. Not my style, but i won't judge others.
forsakenpnut

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:32:45 AM

Games torrent mostly

bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 02:38:17 AM

I download things. People always lended and borrowed things, that's how libraries were created!
If someone wants to give me a file, book, game, whatever, it's not up to some government asshole to tell me whether I can take it or not.

Yeah, I once decided I wanted like $1000. So I walked into a store and took it out of the cash register. Fucking government assholes decided to tell me not to do that. I showed them though. I totally got away with it.

Fuck the government, fuck the store owner! Cause fuckers are telling me what I can and can't do.

lepirate

Activity: 541

Garbochock

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:36:45 AM

I download things. People always lended and borrowed things, that's how libraries were created!
If someone wants to give me a file, book, game, whatever, it's not up to some government asshole to tell me whether I can take it or not.

Yeah, I once decided I wanted like $1000. So I walked into a store and took it out of the cash register. Fucking government assholes decided to tell me not to do that. I showed them though. I totally got away with it.

Fuck the government, fuck the store owner! Cause fuckers are telling me what I can and can't do.
That's quite a difference, if you TAKE the cash, then the store loses it. However, if you could just make an EXACT REPLICA of them then, both you and the store would still have the money (in this case that would cause massive inflation though, and the money wouldn't be worth anything).
Hash Master

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:48:01 AM

Yea, mostly movie and cracked software torrents
bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:48:51 AM

That's quite a difference, if you TAKE the cash, then the store loses it. However, if you could just make an EXACT REPLICA of them then, both you and the store would still have the money (in this case that would cause massive inflation though, and the money wouldn't be worth anything).
Actually, it'd be closer to me generating 50 extra bitcoins, now we have 21 million + 50 extra btc. I suppose your inflation analogy does work to an extent.

It devalues every other bitcoin out there, by a tiny amount. It's not a big deal when it's one person, but say it's a million people that do it. 21 million + 50 million has a massive effect on those who obtained their coins via legit means (not 'magically' hacking the blockchain).

Piracy is stealing either way you look at it. People who brag about stealing content should be ashamed. Sure, there IS a problem with distribution of digital content, but there's absolutely no reason to brag that you're stealing it all

lepirate

Garbochock

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:02:09 AM

Actually, it'd be closer to me generating 50 extra bitcoins, now we have 21 million + 50 extra btc. I suppose your inflation analogy does work to an extent.

It devalues every other bitcoin out there, by a tiny amount. It's not a big deal when it's one person, but say it's a million people that do it. 21 million + 50 million has a massive effect on those who obtained their coins via legit means (not 'magically' hacking the blockchain).

Piracy is stealing either way you look at it. People who brag about stealing content should be ashamed. Sure, there IS a problem with distribution of digital content, but there's absolutely no reason to brag that you're stealing it all
Exactly - more money, less value.

Yeah, but the value of a mp3 doesn't decrease just because someone makes a copy of it.

Nah, not stealing, for theft to take place someone actually has to lose whatever is being stolen. You can look at it this way, you would not go to a store and just take a bread, but IF you could make a copy of the bread and you both would have it, then I can't see the problem (except for the store going bankrupt).
bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:04:48 AM

Yeah, but the value of a mp3 doesn't decrease just because someone makes a copy of it.

Nah, not stealing, for theft to take place someone actually has to lose whatever is being stolen. You can look at it this way, you would not go to a store and just take a bread, but IF you could make a copy of the bread and you both would have it, then I can't see the problem (except for the store going bankrupt).

The problem is the store would go bankrupt, and then the bread producers would go bankrupt. And eventually, all the producers of the items sold in the store will go bankrupt.

lepirate

Garbochock

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:08:16 AM

The problem is the store would go bankrupt, and then the bread producers would go bankrupt. And eventually, all the producers of the items sold in the store will go bankrupt.
Yeah, but then you would have bread for all eternity, so who cares lol? Cheesy
Also, most musicians does not make music to earn money, they do it because they are creative people that feel happy playing music.
(Source: I'm a musician, and most people I know are as well)
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:13:12 AM

As lepirate said, in that case, the model that the store is based on would be obsolete - as well as any other model that is based on handling bread as a finite resource. So, there would effectively be no reason for them to exist at that point. A good analogy here, I think, is what happened to the ice maker industry when confronted with electricity and refrigerators on the 19th/20th century.

But on broader terms, looking at your comparison of downloading content to piracy and stealing, it makes little sense and breaks down fairly quickly; not only because no goods are actually being removed from the market, but also because it assumes people would otherwise actually buy said goods, if they had no other choice (remember, these aren't bread/food/fundamental goods we're talking about here) - I for one don't often bother to download stuff from the net (well, movies and such), but I would most certainly not buy 99.9% of what I do download. Then the reverse of that is, when you download something (legally or otherwise) and find it to be so good that you then go and pay for an original copy (and you probably wouldn't even find/see it, if it wasn't freely available on the net first).
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:40:39 PM

What he said was: If someone wants to give me a file, book, game, whatever,

When you go to the store and take whatever you want without paying you're stealing. On the other hand when you go to a public library and take a book, is that stealing?
I remember borrowing games from my friends on cartridges>floppy's>CD's>DVD's and then simply downloading when the network allowed for that.
When you buy a book and somebody comes to you, sees it and wants to borrow, what do you do? Give them a lecture about copyright law?

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:42:26 PM

Piratebay all the time, enough said.
Thenen

Activity: 226

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:51:38 PM

I dont download ilegally but I watch online stream.
floman

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:58:49 AM

Sometimes, but most of the times I buy legit
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: