Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:43:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: As-is/For parts GPUs  (Read 1186 times)
jamessandydale (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 06:53:57 AM

I've seen alot of damaged GPUs on ebay that sell for a fraction of the cost of a working one. I was wondering if they can still be used to mine. Sometimes the listing states the GPU won't output video correctly for instance, but the computational part (I'm assuming) is still viable. I know its risky because you dont know exactly what the problem is and every one is different, but could one buy up some really cheap GPUs this way?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tritium

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 09:37:49 AM

in my experience (2 duff GPUs) neither of them were recognised in any miner

1FCzN34C1xCLsDaLxfY7yB5CQKN74ruGHV
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 10:28:52 AM

Can always put them in the oven and do some baking, works surprisingly often.
tritium

Activity: 81

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:01:45 PM

tried that, i think it was something a bit more terminal than some cracked solder but i don't know what. there was nothing i could see

1FCzN34C1xCLsDaLxfY7yB5CQKN74ruGHV
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:20:37 PM

I have two cards which are somehow damaged. They can't be used for gaming but they mine perfectly. One has been stable for 2 weeks now and the other 11 days. When used for gaming the screen starts to blink. Dunno what the problem is. Paid only 25% of the real value.
jamessandydale (OP)

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:13:51 PM

thanks for the input. seems like it could be a good idea, ive only found one other post of someone confirming this idea.

sorry but i dont think ill try doing this, at least not until i get some more money to burn on my hobbies. i have a bfl single comng anyways...
ewhenn

Activity: 59

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 10:10:22 PM

I have two cards which are somehow damaged. They can't be used for gaming but they mine perfectly. One has been stable for 2 weeks now and the other 11 days. When used for gaming the screen starts to blink. Dunno what the problem is. Paid only 25% of the real value.

Probably bad RAM.

Mining doesn't use the RAM much at all, usually only part of the first chip.  If the bad RAM is a different chip than the first one it should theoretically function perfectly for mining.
ARapalo

Activity: 93

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:29:54 AM

I've read about the oven baking a video card back to life before. When I first read about this, I though it was a joke post, but surprisingly it was actually serious and it actually works for many people.

Can someone shed some light on as to why this works?? If really high temperatures and revive a dead GPU, then does putting it in the freezer also have the same effect?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:44:35 AM

I've read about the oven baking a video card back to life before. When I first read about this, I though it was a joke post, but surprisingly it was actually serious and it actually works for many people.

Can someone shed some light on as to why this works?? If really high temperatures and revive a dead GPU, then does putting it in the freezer also have the same effect?
It must be done carefully, a certain way. What it does it "reflow" the parts on the card - essentially melting all the solder and possibly making broken connections good again. That is actually how the cards are assembled at the factory, they pick and place all the components on the board, and then put the thing into a reflow oven to melt it all together.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
TragicWish

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 08:03:42 AM

Putting it in the freezer will not produce the desired affect, but i can confirm that i have successfully recovered my files from a corrupted HDD by putting it in the freezer. In fact i forgot i put it in there till my wife was complaining about it a week later. Loaded it up and it has worked fine ever since.  (Obviously i don't use it for anything important now.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: