Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:22:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [UPDATE] Bypass the exchanges w/ BitInstant Pay-to-Email feature  (Read 7084 times)
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 01:53:55 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2012, 10:57:52 PM by Yankee (BitInstant)

-------
UPDATE:

We've now added the PIN security verification system. This had been recommended to help offset the risks of using email to send Bitcoin, and it's now ready to go.

During your checkout, you'll select a PIN if Bitcoins are being sent to your email. In order to get those coins, you'll need this PIN, so write it down.

Once the Bitcoins are received to your email, you'll need to enter your PIN to redeem them. The PIN is passed securely from our servers to the redemption.

BTW - the Bitcoin-to-Email feature has been a huge success. In the past week alone, over 2,000 BTC has been sent from BitInstant's cash deposits to customers' email accounts.

----------

Good Morning!

BitInstant has fully integrated with Coinapult, so our users can now select "Bitcoin to email" as a "pay to"
destination. This means that you can now avoid the exchanges entirely!

When you select "email" as the payment destination, you no longer need to use an exchange to get
Bitcoins. Your USD funds convert automatically to Bitcoin and are sent right to your inbox instantly.
Bitcoins are purchased at MtGox, instantly at time of sale

Let's use Liberty Reserve as an example:

1) You transfer $100 Liberty Reserve to BitInstant and select "email" as the destination

2) Our system immediately buys $100 (minus fees) worth of Bitcoin and emails these coins to
you (via Coinapult)

3) You can then grab the coins and send wherever you'd like.

This can be done with all of our methods - Cash Deposits, Crypto X Change/BTC-E coupons, Dwolla,
Bitcoinica, etc.

This feature is especially valuable for those who are new to Bitcoin, as they can ignore exchanges and
bid/ask orders, etc. Just deposit cash, and get Bitcoins directly in your email! Can't get much simpler
than that Wink Also great for anyone who is hesitant to use exchanges due to security concerns, etc.

Try it now! www.Bitinstant.com

Enjoy!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 01:55:05 PM

Nice.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:53:52 PM

This is actually awesome news since it removes the need to ID yourself in order to convert your fiat to BTC.

Two thumbs up from me!  Cool

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:09:09 PM

This is actually awesome news since it removes the need to ID yourself in order to convert your fiat to BTC.

Yes, but don't forget we monitor fraud and AML 24/7

We have per-day and per-transaction limits in place for that reason, and any attempt to defraud our system will be taken seriously.

Thanks  Grin

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:23:12 PM

Well, that's cool. Good work.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:30:52 PM

We have per-day and per-transaction limits in place for that reason, and any attempt to defraud our system will be taken seriously.

Thanks  Grin

What does this mean?

I sell bad powders, get cash, take cash to bank, put in your account, get coins.

Isn't that money laundering? How can you possibly do anything about that?

Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 04:06:21 PM

Thanks  Grin

What does this mean?

I sell bad powders, get cash, take cash to bank, put in your account, get coins.

We are required by US law and FinCEN regulations to not allow 1 person to transfer more then $1,000 per day

bearbones

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 08:33:49 PM

Quick note for those using this service:

Please check your spam folder for Coinapult emails. I've integrated Amazon SES, which should fix this spam issue, but our account is still pending production approval. In the meanwhile, Coinapult emails may end up in your spam folder.

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
coinuser4000

Activity: 128
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:15:39 AM

Good Morning!

BitInstant has fully integrated with Coinapult, so our users can now select "Bitcoin to email" as a "pay to"
destination. This means that you can now avoid the exchanges entirely!

When you select "email" as the payment destination, you no longer need to use an exchange to get
Bitcoins. Your USD funds convert automatically to Bitcoin and are sent right to your inbox instantly.
Bitcoins are purchased at MtGox, instantly at time of sale

Let's use Liberty Reserve as an example:

1) You transfer $100 Liberty Reserve to BitInstant and select "email" as the destination

2) Our system immediately buys $100 (minus fees) worth of Bitcoin and emails these coins to
you (via Coinapult)

3) You can then grab the coins and send wherever you'd like.

This can be done with all of our methods - Cash Deposits, Crypto X Change/BTC-E coupons, Dwolla,
Bitcoinica, etc.

This feature is especially valuable for those who are new to Bitcoin, as they can ignore exchanges and
bid/ask orders, etc. Just deposit cash, and get Bitcoins directly in your email! Can't get much simpler
than that Wink Also great for anyone who is hesitant to use exchanges due to security concerns, etc.

Try it now! www.Bitinstant.com

Enjoy!

This is good news for people who don't have banks, or who prefer to avoid large exchanges due to AML and KYC privacy invasions, frozen accounts, hacking, etc, or those who find the BTC-otc verifications overly technical and daunting, people new to btc that just can't figure it all out.....just to name a few

This is one of the best things I've seen you roll out since bitinstant.

cointorox ✦ 
✓   Your Digital Piggy Bank Cryptocurrency, Simplified. ✓  
✦ ────────  Website ⬝  Facebook ⬝   Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:50:23 AM

We are required by US law and FinCEN regulations to not allow 1 person to transfer more then $1,000 per day

FinCen should die and all the resource that were devoted to FinCen should be invested in catching actual murderers and scammers rather than violating the rights of normal people who dare transfer anything larger than 1 thousand dollars.

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 02:40:12 PM

Bump for one of the best new Bitcoin services yet!

Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:46:58 PM

Bump for one of the best new Bitcoin services yet!
+1

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:45:12 PM

Thats fantastic.

I informed my collegues about it. This is the tagline I used.

Checked your email? You might have or get an email worth a million dollar!

Now you can get Bitcoins in your email or send them to someone by emailing them.
You just have to hope that someone sent an email full of Bitcoins to the wrong adress...

Ofcourse you have allways been able to email Bitcoins...But now even your aunt can do so.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
bearbones

Activity: 316

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 04:50:26 PM

As of now, emails should no longer be flagged as spam.

Thanks for all of the feedback and support!

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
radracer

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 05:18:08 PM

will be trying this out soon
reg

Activity: 463

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 05:52:36 PM

great for us dollar a/c holders but what about other currencies? are there exchange rates involved? outside the states we do not even know what liberty reserve is? sounds like some sort of young girls under garment!
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 07:05:13 PM

great for us dollar a/c holders but what about other currencies? are there exchange rates involved? outside the states we do not even know what liberty reserve is? sounds like some sort of young girls under garment!

Thats a good question.

Right now, we only have US Cash Deposits enabled.

Within a few weeks, we're going to be rolling out more locations in the US, Russia, Brazil, and Canada (To start)

The way it will work on our website, is it will show a USD/Local Currency form that dynamically updates.

So, if you want to deposit $33.90 it would tell you 1000 RUB in Russia, so on and so forth. The funds will be converted by the bank, so we will be getting competitive rates.

Should clear up a few things!

Charlie

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 08:59:11 PM

Thanks  Grin

What does this mean?

Where and when do you ID? Do you just make the assumption that 1 email = 1 user?

Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 09:00:31 PM

Thanks  Grin

What does this mean?

Where and when do you ID? Do you just make the assumption that 1 email = 1 user?

We are required by law to make a reasonable effort to be compliant.

For cash deposits, the burden falls on TrustCash, but we monitor IP address, Bank Deposit Branch, Account Deposited, MtGox (or other exchange account), and email address

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 09:06:39 PM

From Coinapult.com:

No really, is this a safe way to send money?

Coinapult is as safe as the security of the email inbox or mobile phone of the recipient. If a cracker accessed your grandmother's email and saw the Coinapult message in there, then the cracker could go get the coins. So the answer is, it's pretty safe, just don't send stupid amounts of money.

This doesn't sound like a good idea to connect to BitInstant for this very reason.  E-mail is incredibly easy to intercept - there is no security on it - anything more than pocket change is a "stupid amount of money" as referenced here.  Crackers need not crack Grandma's password, they merely need to sniff on any of the networks that carry the unencrypted SMTP session to deliver the e-mail, and steal the plaintext code out of the message.

If someone were to lose $20, it's not a whole lot of money, but are they going to hear?  "Sorry, someone must have stolen the code out of your e-mail... you're screwed!"  Wal-Mart is already taking a hit in the press for people getting scammed buying compromised GreenDot MoneyPaks and having their funds stolen by scammers before they make it home.

Any time I have ever passed a MtGox code or a private key to somebody, I will e-mail half and text the other half on my phone.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: