Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:58:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much bitcoins do you hold?
500< - 95 (53.4%)
1000< - 20 (11.2%)
2000< - 16 (9%)
5000< - 12 (6.7%)
5000> - 11 (6.2%)
Im part of the 1% club and can manipulate the market - 24 (13.5%)
Total Voters: 177

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoins do you hold?  (Read 3215 times)
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 01:55:28 PM

I have 21 million.

Not  Embarrassed

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 02:09:04 PM

Mathematically illiterate poll
what does 500< means? 500 is less than....what?

Sit down! F

There are a lot of foreign language speakers here, if you really have that much trouble figuring out what he means you should probably just give up now.
+1

FWIW, my reference position is to be short in the same amount as I am holding, hedged and more or less flat with respect to price changes. I'm just a teensy bit on the short side now, leaving me with plenty of dry powder in margin at Bitcoinica.

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 02:17:01 PM

Reminds me of president Eisenhower, who flew into a rage when his advisors told him that roughly half of the US population was of below average intelligence :-) Guess which half he was on?
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 04:38:00 PM

Reminds me of president Eisenhower, who flew into a rage when his advisors told him that roughly half of the US population was of below average intelligence :-) Guess which half he was on?
That's pretty funny, I'd never heard that before Grin

Say what you will about Eisenhower, at least he wasn't an effete and decadent little pussy like just about every Republican who treats us to his/her mouth farting noises these days. McCain gets a pass in my book but the spine he had 40 years ago turned to jelly somewhere along the way.

I don't think there is anyone who regards Eisenhower's parting comments on the "Military-Industrial Complex" as anything other than precise and prescient. It certainly helps explain the mindset of worthless and evil fucks like the Project For A New American Century, the mindset that says all we have to do is to regularly kick some ass to have our way. Recall, these are the exact individuals who brought us war on phony pretenses in Iraq, and anyone who tells me we wouldn't have been better off cutting their throats from ear to ear can't do simple math.

Section IV below for the exact quote:
http://www.h-net.org/~hst306/documents/indust.html

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
Dan The Man

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 05:41:47 PM

over 99% of humans have an above average number of legs
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 07:46:00 PM

False

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Dan The Man

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 08:03:02 PM

False

ORLY? Take a ballpark guess of what the average number of legs per person is for the entire population of Earth? If you add up all of the legs that everyone has and divide it by the total number of people, what do you think that number might be?

Now what do you think the one percentile is for number of legs? What is the cut off for being in the lowest 1% of the population in regards to number of legs? If you arranged the world population in a line based on how many legs they had, from most to least, how many legs would the guy who is 99% of the way down the line have?

Is the one percentile higher or lower than the average?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 01:41:13 AM

False

ORLY? Take a ballpark guess of what the average number of legs per person is for the entire population of Earth? If you add up all of the legs that everyone has and divide it by the total number of people, what do you think that number might be?

Now what do you think the one percentile is for number of legs? What is the cut off for being in the lowest 1% of the population in regards to number of legs? If you arranged the world population in a line based on how many legs they had, from most to least, how many legs would the guy who is 99% of the way down the line have?

Is the one percentile higher or lower than the average?

Average number of legs per person... ballpark 1.99998 (some have more, some have less, but probably more with missing/partial legs than people with extra legs)

I would say that having both legs off at the hip would put you in the 1%.

Legless Joe has less legs than the average.

Now let's look at your statement:
You're saying everyone before Joe has more than 1.99998 legs, which is not true because there are people with 1 leg, people with 1.5 legs (off at the knee), etc.

Also, I gave you the benefit of the doubt by assuming there are more legless/partial legs than extra legs.  Without that, your statement is just patently false.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 01:43:27 AM

And yes, I'm claiming 1% of the population has at least a little of their leg cut off.  1% being legless is probably a stretch, but I know a lot of people who have lost at least a toe.

Dan The Man

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:17:12 AM

And yes, I'm claiming 1% of the population has at least a little of their leg cut off.  1% being legless is probably a stretch, but I know a lot of people who have lost at least a toe.

Here is some data for Eritrea, a country known for having a lot of legs blown off by landmines: http://folk.uib.no/mfakh/LM/amputees.html
Percentage of population with leg amputation: 0.045%. Feel free to double that figure if you think toe amputations count as missing legs. Double it again if you think Eritrea is an optimistic representation of the world. It still doesn't make 1%.

So unless the rest of the world is doing way worse than Eritrea, or there is a vast population of secret tripods, then it is completely correct to say that 99% of the people in the world have above average number of legs. The point was that mean values can be misleading for certain cases.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:15:40 AM

The point was that mean values can be misleading for certain cases.

That we can agree on... simple examples are usually better than complex ones though.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: