Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:29:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The case for an afterlife is very simple.  (Read 2207 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:55:57 PM

In an infinite and real universe, the probability of our consciousness being born again is very likely -- over and over again. Matter and energy will inevitably congregate into what we call our perception, whether it be through the human birthing process, another specie's reproduction or another process altogether.

Reincarnation is not a silly concept at all.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:06:21 PM

Matter and energy will inevitably congregate into what we call our perception
Why would you expect matter and energy to congregate into "our" perception, instead of into new perceptions belonging to the new configurations of matter and energy?
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:09:28 PM

Matter and energy will inevitably congregate into what we call our perception
Why would you expect matter and energy to congregate into "our" perception, instead of into new perceptions belonging to the new configurations of matter and energy?
Because we exist. I assume our individual existence is quantifiable and thus reproducible.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:11:08 PM

If the Universe and time were infinite (and there not) there would be a very probable chance of other versions identical to you existing but it wouldn't be reincarnation just the effects of "chance".

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:14:54 PM

If the Universe and time were infinite (and there not) there would be a very probable chance of other versions identical to you existing but it wouldn't be reincarnation just the effects of "chance".

I don't see why it couldn't be reincarnation.

What universal law condemns an immortal --but sporadically hibernating-- perception?

Additionally, what case calls for a finite universe that spawns from nothing?

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:20:40 PM

Additionally, what case calls for a finite universe that spawns from nothing?

There probably was mass before the big bang but probably not the dimension of time or the other three dimensions of space.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:22:28 PM

So do you remember past lives then?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
99Percent

Activity: 402
Merit: 100

🦜| Save Smart & Win 🦜

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:23:48 PM

With infinite time (which must be because time cannot be "started") all possibilities will happen, including countless versions of yourself. But your current conciousness is unique because its a reflection of the current possible reality only.

Reincarnation is only possible if there were a way to preserve memory after death. Currently its not possible, much like bitcoins lost if their private keys are lost.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:26:50 PM

If a person has amnesia, they do not die. They still act within their perception. They still live. They still exist.

If your ability to remember is all you value in life, then let that be life.

To me, the perception alone is what I value.

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:29:22 PM

With infinite time (which must be because time cannot be "started") all possibilities will happen, including countless versions of yourself. But your current conciousness is unique because its a reflection of the current possible reality only.

Reincarnation is only possible if there were a way to preserve memory after death. Currently its not possible, much like bitcoins lost if their private keys are lost.

Time is just a dimension just like the three dimensions of space they probably didn't exist before the big-bang and in the nanoseconds after the big-bang there was probably more dimensions created then the four we know of time and space but probably only existed briefly then collapsed to only have any effects at quantum levels which explains the strange effects of quantum theory. 

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:35:09 PM

Isn't the movement of energy and matter time alone?

How can anything change without time?

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:43:19 PM

The effects of time can be changed as you approach the speed of light so time travel is possible forward in time but not back in time before the time of the creation of the first time-machine (time-machine = wormhole or area of warped space-time - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel#Tourism_in_time ) but for my two-satoshi worth I reckon the creation of time-travel will be the creation of the next big-bang.

dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:59:40 PM

I don't know what Atlas argued because I have him blocked, but I bet he makes an equivocation fallacy.  That is, he doesn't mean reincarnation to mean what everyone else thinks it means.

The entire problem with reincarnation is what makes a thing "You".  Does the loss of memory make "you" not you anymore?  If I copy my memory into a clone then is that thing me?   Every time I have heard of someone explaining (justifying) reincarnation they either argue that our memories are carried over from past lives (why not future?) or they argue our "energy" forms into a new person or animal (why not a rock?).  

I don't believe it is certain that all possibilities will happen.  (I also don't see how that is relevant.)

How do you know your consciousness is unique?  Are you assuming it is continuous through time but not space (or "realities")?  TO me, it is very odd to say something is unique when it isn't even a thing?  
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:08:01 AM

the poignant question is: what is the "you" that will be reincarnated?

There is no separate self. Separate identity is an illusion; a mental fiction about an abstract entity called "I".

Every incarnation is the one; god experiencing itself.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:51:24 AM

Consciousness is infinite and distributes over reality.  When consciousness applies will (intention) to identify with some stratified condition, you have the cause of mind/body consciousness.

As long as this cause is still there, it will continue to manifest itself.

Removing the cause removes continual manifestation, but it does not remove consciousness.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 04:02:26 AM

Or maybe Frank Tipler is on to something?
Ean

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 10:21:09 AM

This is as deep as the Matrix trilogy.

Quote from: Douglas Adams
The World Wide Web is the only thing I know of whose shortened form takes three times longer to say than what it's short for
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 01:31:59 PM

Then there is the pesky problem of no evidence at all.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:49:27 PM

Then there is the pesky problem of no evidence at all.

More like self-evident.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

There are an infinite amount of natural numbers, but if you count properly you'll never pass a number twice.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: