Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:24:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The case for an afterlife is very simple.  (Read 2201 times)
Mr. Piglet

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 04:56:25 AM

There are an infinite amount of natural numbers, but if you count properly you'll never pass a number twice.

Indeed, however, counting is linear while the universe is more likely random. Assuming the universe is indeed infinite and completely random, there ought to be an individual with the exact same configuration of particles (including the brain) which means at some point you would have an individual with the exact same memories, position and thoughts as you at one point in your life.

However, I suppose it depends on your definition of "your consciousness". Does it requires to be continuous to still be yourself (never interrupted) or would you consider the mere replication of a state of your consciousness to be reincarnation?

I would personally say it requires to be continuous consciousness where this consciousness would stay after death and move on to become another "live" being to be called "reincarnation". (Under the more traditional definition of reincarnation where your consciousness returns into a new shell)

Unless there's an unlikely case where, for example:
~~~~~~~~~~~
 The electrons in our brain interfere with something not yet detectable with our technology and it creates interferences into this "fabric like thing" that is vaguely interacting with the known physical universe, interferences which would be what we could call a consciousness (and this "consciousness" would interfere with currents in our brain and could survive the death of a creature and attach to another one being formed.) Effectively emulating surviving consciousness and reincarnation (with loss of memory)[/quote]
then I guess reincarnation is unlikely with the traditional definition.
~~~~~~~~~~~

So instead of debating things that cannot be verified just like this made up scenario, why not write some science-fiction with similar contents where people discover how to interact with it and find ways to literally blast to bits your consciousness opening a new era of weaponry, politics and conflicts, all for our own entertainment of course?

We are only sure of being conscious for as long as our brain does not die out. Why not enjoy that until those questions about the afterlife answers themselves when the time comes?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 08:46:09 PM

There are an infinite amount of natural numbers, but if you count properly you'll never pass a number twice.

Indeed, however, counting is linear while the universe is more likely random. Assuming the universe is indeed infinite and completely random, there ought to be an individual with the exact same configuration of particles (including the brain) which means at some point you would have an individual with the exact same memories, position and thoughts as you at one point in your life.

However, I suppose it depends on your definition of "your consciousness". Does it requires to be continuous to still be yourself (never interrupted) or would you consider the mere replication of a state of your consciousness to be reincarnation?

I would personally say it requires to be continuous consciousness where this consciousness would stay after death and move on to become another "live" being to be called "reincarnation". (Under the more traditional definition of reincarnation where your consciousness returns into a new shell)

~~~~~~~~~~~
 The electrons in our brain interfere with something not yet detectable with our technology and it creates interferences into this "fabric like thing" that is vaguely interacting with the known physical universe, interferences which would be what we could call a consciousness (and this "consciousness" would interfere with currents in our brain and could survive the death of a creature and attach to another one being formed.) Effectively emulating surviving consciousness and reincarnation (with loss of memory)
~~~~~~~~~~~

So instead of debating things that cannot be verified just like this made up scenario, why not write some science-fiction with similar contents where people discover how to interact with it and find ways to literally blast to bits your consciousness opening a new era of weaponry, politics and conflicts, all for our own entertainment of course?

We are only sure of being conscious for as long as our brain does not die out. Why not enjoy that until those questions about the afterlife answers themselves when the time comes?

I'm not debating the thing. Some posters are saying it is self evident, that infinite ---> everything happens over and over. That's not true.

Even in 'random universe' if the space of possibilities has higher cardinality than the amount of time then the chance you'll see the same random thing twice is 0.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 08:48:26 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~
 The electrons in our brain interfere with something not yet detectable with our technology and it creates interferences into this "fabric like thing" that is vaguely interacting with the known physical universe, interferences which would be what we could call a consciousness (and this "consciousness" would interfere with currents in our brain and could survive the death of a creature and attach to another one being formed.) Effectively emulating surviving consciousness and reincarnation (with loss of memory)
~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not debating the thing. Some posters are saying it is self evident, that infinite ---> everything happens over and over. That's not true.

Even in 'random universe' if the space of possibilities has higher cardinality than the amount of time then the chance you'll see the same random thing twice is 0.

I said consciousness is infinite and that this is self-evident.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 09:09:28 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2012, 07:58:16 AM by conspirosphere.tk

I wonder if everybody here will remember to mention his BTCs in his testament (and if their survivors will be able to use them).
Otherwise a slow (and then increasingly faster) die-off of BTC may well be in the cards, given the limited production.
BTC guy

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:45:19 AM

i think once your dead thats it.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:36:01 PM

That is what my guess is also. There is nothing to indicate otherwise.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:28:28 PM

For sure. But here's a question with a slightly less obvious answer:

After a caterpillar spins its cocoon, all of its body dissolves into what is essentially a soup of organic molecules, which reassemble themselves into a moth or a butterfly. Assuming the caterpillar was conscious, and that the moth or butterfly is conscious, is it the same consciousness or a different one?
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:30:36 PM

While we're considering related questions:

Is there any consciousness in a human egg or sperm cell? What about the moment after the sperm penetrates the cell wall of the egg? If so, how does consciousness come into existence at that point? If not, at what point does the new human become conscious?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 04:38:17 PM

For sure. But here's a question with a slightly less obvious answer:

After a caterpillar spins its cocoon, all of its body dissolves into what is essentially a soup of organic molecules, which reassemble themselves into a moth or a butterfly. Assuming the caterpillar was conscious, and that the moth or butterfly is conscious, is it the same consciousness or a different one?

I'd say different. If the process was just a little bit different we might consider the caterpillar to have been eaten.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 06:34:34 PM

Interesting comments. Is metamorphosis a kind of reincarnation?  Huh
Are sperm and eggs conscious?

Still, I see no evidence of any kind for a continuation of consciousness after life ceases. Even though an overwhelming majority of humanity believes in an "afterlife".

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: