Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:56:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Circle.com - Anyone out there using it? What are your experiences so far?  (Read 14654 times)
keithers (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:47:24 PM

Hey all, I just got my circle.com invite the other day.  I was interested in their service (not necessarily as a wallet), but just as an added option to what I have been using Coinbase.com for (to purchase small amounts of BTC).

At first glance, the largest differences that I have noticed so far:

1) you can purchase BTC directly with a credit card (Visa and Mastercard only)
2)  When you purchase BTC, you set the amount of USD that you want to convert (instead of setting the amount of BTC that you want to buy)

How many of you are using Circle.com so far?   What are your experiences?   Have any of you purchased BTC with a credit card?   If so, did you get hit with cash advance fees?   What credit cards would you recommend using in correlation with your Circle.com account?
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:38:45 AM

I am using Circle.com from begining of September. I am purchasing BTC with Mastercard, Circle charges jou also card fee 2,7% (which is logical). I also tried sell feature. Money (again -2,7% card fee) was sent to my credit card.

Circle is in my opinion the best service in bitcoin world. It is Simple & Reliable. It is like Gmail in e-mail world. We must understand that bitcoin will go into mainstream only when there will be services like Circle is. I am currenty using it for weekly buying (there is limit 500 USD/week).
Triffin

Activity: 952
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 03:40:21 PM

Circle news/PR

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/29/circle-embargo-for-930/

Triff ..

keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 04:58:16 PM

Circle is open to the public as of today, I believe.   I have been using it here and there.   I have been buying more BTC lately because of how low the prices are.   I think anyone who believes in BTC would be foolish not to buy any right now because of how cheap the coins really are.

I am not at all into mining, but I would assume that mining would be break even at best right now given the difficulty and the cost of electricity vs. the current prices of BTC
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 12:02:09 PM

Its 2FA login stuff is *broken* - it keeps sending me the same verification code which after I enter it keeps telling me is "invalid". Sad

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 11:32:46 PM

First 2 instant transactions went through smoothly.
My last two bitcoin purchase transactions failed! No reasons given.  Huh

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 03:03:33 AM

Its 2FA login stuff is *broken* - it keeps sending me the same verification code which after I enter it keeps telling me is "invalid". Sad

Their support is not much use either (Eriks instructed me to do a "device" reset which just results in it sending my phone the *same number again* which it *again says is invalid*).

I hope the SMS costs them something as they've sent me over 100 so far (for some reason it seems to just keep on sending me SMS after SMS).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 12:41:08 PM

i tried to add my card buy i get

Your credit card information was incorrect.

Huh
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:08:40 PM

How much Circle is charging to non-US customers ? Is buying from Circle costs less than buying from Bitstamp/BTC-e at the same time ?

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 02:12:19 PM

Their 2FA has some serious bugs (not good for a company trying to promote itself as being *as safe as a bank*).

I've never had any problem with 2FA with SMS with my internet banking but circle.com just keeps *rejecting* the code (even after they *reset* my account to the point that it thinks it is the first time I am doing this).

I might end up using Google Authenticator just to "get things working" but I am rather disappointed at their software quality (clearly we are the *guinea pigs* and they did not do enough testing).

Again it now keeps sending me SMS messages (despite the fact I am not requesting them) and again I hope that costs them something (as it's rather annoying to keep being sent the same useless SMS).

The idea of writing a good software platform is *to test it first* not *let the end-user's be the testers* (reminds me of all Microsoft version 1 products).

keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 03:43:41 PM

Have any of you sold and had the funds sent to credit card? Does it work well?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:39:05 AM

When I log in I just get a message that says a further review is needed and that they will contact me. After a few days where nothing happened I sent an email asking what the heck, still no answer.

Seriously bad start. Too bad, the concept was perfect.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 01:35:15 PM

Jeff Garzik ‏@jgarzik 2m2 minutes ago

Impressed with @circlebits so far. Added CC, charged $325, immediately withdrew 0.999 BTC to #Bitcoin Qt. Quick & easy though not fee-free.

He is lucky - I am *still receiving SMS messages even after I changed to using Authenticator this morning (one SMS about every hour now for 48 hours).

I can't get my Mastercard debit card to work (complains that the billing address is wrong despite the fact I've entered it *exactly* as my bank shows it) but that might be because my account is from Australia.

MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 09:18:10 PM

I'm in Canada and I've been able to get it going with my CapitalOne MC.  I got a pre-loaded visa from the post office just to try it out, but it didn't work with that.

I'll wait for my statement to see how much MasterCard charged me, but I don't think I'll be using it until they hook up bank accounts for non-US customers.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 09:16:39 AM

The 2FA has problems in that you cannot remove it after enabled, and you also don't get the secrete key to back up. I always back up all 2FA keys in case my phone gets damaged or lost. But with Circle's 2FA with google authenticator, you're fuked if something happens to your phone.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 09:41:38 AM

The 2FA has problems in that you cannot remove it after enabled, and you also don't get the secrete key to back up. I always back up all 2FA keys in case my phone gets damaged or lost. But with Circle's 2FA with google authenticator, you're fuked if something happens to your phone.

Huh? The QR code is "what you back up" (you can extract the *code* from that using something like "zbar") but of course if you didn't take a screen snapshot of it (like I did as I *tend to always expect the worse*) then I can see why you might have a problem.

BTW - finally they stopped sending me SMS messages (must have received nearly a thousand of them).

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 05:46:03 AM

Huh? The QR code is "what you back up" (you can extract the *code* from that using something like "zbar") but of course if you didn't take a screen snapshot of it (like I did as I *tend to always expect the worse*) then I can see why you might have a problem.

Dammit I think you're right. The backup was the initial QR code that I already scanned with my phone, but now can't retrieve it anymore. I have about a dozen google 2FA on my phone, and every single one initially wrote out the code in plain text so I can copy it somewhere safe.

However the other problem still stands: once 2FA is activated, you can't change the code or delete it. If I want to redo with a different key, that's not possible. To me, this is considered a flaw.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 05:55:52 AM

However the other problem still stands: once 2FA is activated, you can't change the code or delete it. If I want to redo with a different key, that's not possible. To me, this is considered a flaw.

You can click on "lost device" (you'll then have the two questions to answer that you had set up) then you should be able to set it up you 2FA again.

I agree it is annoying that they don't at least have an option to "see the 2FA key code" in text form as well as in QR code form (my *device* doesn't have a QR code reader so I had to use zbar to get the text).

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 08:48:54 AM

Looks like its for US customers only  Huh
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 09:08:40 AM

Looks like its for US customers only  Huh

Some Australians at least are having success with linking Visa *debit* cards (but I could not link my Mastercard *debit* card).

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: